IGNORED

Australian Jingerites - Jesus Camp on TV right now

LIzzieB

Jesus Camp is on ABC2 right now. It just started 10 minutes ago in the CST time zone. If you miss it, you can probably catch it on iView later...

I always watch these docos online about a month before I know they are going to be on TV.

Still, watching it on the big screen now. Man this is a creepy documentary.

That film is a goldmine.

"I got saved when I was five years old - I just wanted more out of life." When I was five, my idea of getting more out of life was convincing my parents to let me have a two-scoop ice cream cone instead of a one-scoop. It never occurred to me that I should have been turning to Jesus.

I watched it last night as well!

My first reaction was aghast at how similar it sounded to the tapes I have heard from Jonestown. The same edge of insanity. :S I was then shocked at how creepily like me those children sounded (well, me as a child)!

And as I joked with my husband when the homeschooler came on - "you're not wearing a skirt, so you're doing it wrong!".

The leader (female - HORROR!) said something about how amazing these kids would grow up to be. I thought - sure, in a psych ward, or at best, with mental problems for the rest of their lives!

Becky Fischer (the Leader of Jesus Camp) should have read the bible about being fat, this woman not only has mental problems, she has hypocrisy written all over her face. In law of the Bible, she would be guilty of gluttony.

Becky Fischer (the Leader of Jesus Camp) should have read the bible about being fat, this woman not only has mental problems, she has hypocrisy written all over her face. In law of the Bible, she would be guilty of gluttony.

Mmmm you don't know that. I know it's less than the majority, but some people are not fat because they are gluttons.

Mmmm you don't know that. I know it's less than the majority, but some people are not fat because they are gluttons.

Sorry, that was meant to be sarcasm. and I did remember about obesity in the old testament. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of that witch.

I often think of the girl with the army father, who enjoys dancing, when people talk about the fundy/fundy-lite distinction. Most of the people described as 'fundy-lite' here are absolutely fundamentalist in my mind. That girl (forgot her name) with less than six siblings, who enjoys dancing, wears shorts, has a normal-looking and acting mother and mixes with other children is terrifyingly indoctrinated, and just as extreme (in my mind) as people like the Duggars.

I often think of the girl with the army father, who enjoys dancing, when people talk about the fundy/fundy-lite distinction. Most of the people described as 'fundy-lite' here are absolutely fundamentalist in my mind. That girl (forgot her name) with less than six siblings, who enjoys dancing, wears shorts, has a normal-looking and acting mother and mixes with other children is terrifyingly indoctrinated, and just as extreme (in my mind) as people like the Duggars.

That was Tory, and she's the one that made me sad. Rachel and Levi were already clearly brainwashed, but Tory seemed to really want to be "normal."

I actually really liked Rachel and Tory. They could both break away. Rachel in particular seemed to have a smart eccentric character. Levi had become puffed and arrogant, even at his young age. (Video not available in my country, so I can't see, but hopefully he didn't stay that way?)

He's still pretty much the same. Maybe not *quite* as passionate, but he's definitely vocal about how he falls more in love with Jesus everyday and is thankful to Becky for helping him be such a strong Christian, or something along those lines.

He's still pretty much the same. Maybe not *quite* as passionate, but he's definitely vocal about how he falls more in love with Jesus everyday and is thankful to Becky for helping him be such a strong Christian, or something along those lines.

Oh, how depressing :(

Does he still do the preaching?

Wait, you know what happens to him after the movie? Was there some kind of sequel I missed?

Rachel and Levi scared me the most, I think. I expect them to grow out of it by the time they're adults, though.

In an interview after this documentary was released, Becky Fischer said she really liked it--that it showed exactly what she wanted to teach kids.

There are no words. None.

In an interview after this documentary was released, Becky Fischer said she really liked it--that it showed exactly what she wanted to teach kids.

:shock:

She did wind up shutting down the camp, though. It only lasted about a year after the documentary came out, IIRC.

Nothing really freaked me out until the part where she has the water bottle and is pouring the water onto the kids' hands...and that one chick is wailing into the microphone. That scared the piss out of me.

The recent interview with Levi was part of Morgan Spurlock's "50 Documentaries To See Before You Die." Jesus Camp was one of the biggies they featured and Morgan interviewed a grown up Levi. No word that I know of on what's become of Tory or Rachel.

And yes, Becky was pleased with how righteous she and the camp were portrayed as, she fully believes in her "indoctrination" of children into Christianity. She did say she was "shocked" by the political twist the movie took. I don't know how she can be shocked about that when she was the one using GWB cutouts as props in her scream-fests.

As for the camp being shut down - Becky had rented campgrounds in N.D. to run "Kids On Fire" (the camp featured in Jesus Camp) and was asked by the owners not to return due to extreme vandalism done to the campgrounds in response to "Jesus Camp"

Archived