IGNORED

FL Bishop Blames Victims of Assault

Imrlgoddess

This one here... The TL;DR version is he's playing the "immodest dress" violin.  The men are wrong but the women are just as wrong.  The 40's-60's wrecked the hemline and then wrecked the marriage.  

Bottom line: Bishop Donald Sanborn argues women cause their own sexual assault by dressing immodestly and working outside the home.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2018/12/bishop-blames-the-victim-claims-immodest-dress-of-women-causes-sexual-assault/?fbclid=IwAR09CXzxicms71TsOyC6d6RQYw2zRoZwdStpJiz8epxgqbjgJ7udrfbrBv0

35 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

This one here... The TL;DR version is he's playing the "immodest dress" violin.  The men are wrong but the women are just as wrong.  The 40's-60's wrecked the hemline and then wrecked the marriage.  

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2018/12/bishop-blames-the-victim-claims-immodest-dress-of-women-causes-sexual-assault/?fbclid=IwAR09CXzxicms71TsOyC6d6RQYw2zRoZwdStpJiz8epxgqbjgJ7udrfbrBv0

I had to read this article for myself, and this point especially stood out.

The trend began over one hundred years ago, and gained momentum in World War I. Before the war, for example, women covered their entire bodies with clothing. After the war, the hemlines came up and the necklines came down.

Has he never looked at women's fashions? If he's complaining about necklines, they were much less what he would consider "modest" during the 1700s and 1800s. I have a friend who is a Civil War reenactor, and I've attended one of his reenactments. I know women showed a lot of décolletage during that time, truthfully, much more than my tank tops or v-neck shirts show today. While ankles were considered very immodest, showing off the tops of the girls was perfectly acceptable, according to fashions I've seen of the day.

I'm not arguing neckline right or wrong, I'm trying to disprove his idiocy through historical context. It wasn't all high neck and long skirt, with the only skin showing from the neck up and the hands.

Archived