IGNORED

Eckankar

BachelorToTheRapture

I've been going down the rabbit hole looking into Eckankar, and would love for people to join me!

I'm trying to learn more about it, and see if it appears to be a cult or an eastern religion with some changes to give it more appeal in the west. It is clearly strongly influenced by religions such as Hinduism, but the founder was also involved in Scientology for a while. It also seems as though it may be an attempted money making scheme (the mahanta, the spiritual leader, frequently publishes books which he encourages members to buy, and enrolling in any of their initiations, as well as remaining a member, costs a small amount of money). 

Official website

http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/eckankarsurvivors/threats.html

This person believes Eckankar is a cult that uses mind control to keep people in.

I would love to hear any of your thoughts on this group!!

I am considering going to their open house this weekend to learn more, I'm very curious about this group.

A neighbor of ours got into this in the 70's.  Ended up divorcing her husband and marrying a co-Eck devotee.  Divorced him, married again, moved away.  I went to a few meetings and wasn't impressed enough to want to learn more.   If you go, post about the experience should you be so led, I'd be interested in learning what you think.

I went to the Eckanckar website and browsed a bit.  One very interesting pearl of wisdom is that the Living Eck Master, i. e., the big kahuna, has to be a male.  'Nuff said--I vote "cult."

I thought that the RickRoss page (it's now named something else) had some information about Eckankar, but they don't.  They don't have anything about ATI/IBLP/Gothard either.  Skeptic's Dictionary did have some info, but that page may be down.  I'd just google "Eckankar criticism".

Here's the page that ReligiousTolerance.org had about it:

Eckankar

Fascinating. The religion seems to be a mix of a western christian god but with a more philosophical/new age approach. The concept of reaching enlightenment through light and sound is an interesting idea as is death being a "translation". I like that they view (at least on the surface) their spiritual leaders as a guide rather than someone to worship and revere. It seems good on the surface but the red flags are everywhere. Like @Granwych said, only males are leaders. And the bit about followers seeing these men in visions before they ever meet tells me this is for the gullible and the weak. Plenty of books for sale and seminars to attend. It has cult written all over it.

@BachelorToTheRapture I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of this group if you do decide to visit. 

I took a short class on cults a long time ago.  I remember Eckankar being mentioned as a cult, but I don't remember anything else about it.

@BachelorToTheRapture don’t drink the Kool aid, don’t even look at it!  These people present as reasonable and friendly, you will be love bombed.  I knew a young man who almost got caught up in their bullshit and he really regretted it.

Cult. No one should claim to offer such things. I believe our spirituality is our own. No matter the *base*.  Given that, no female leaders is a huge red flag and bullshit.  I can't with anyone who does not respect the divine feminine in regards to my faith/beliefs/ self worth.  As with anything, you may glean something out of it.  Just remember though, David Waller once gleaned something and we all know how that went down.....

Archived