IGNORED

Sam Young (potential) Mormon Excommunication

nomoxian

Sam Young, the man who started the Protect LDS Children movement, will most likely be excommunicated from the Mormon church today (Sunday September 9th) At the very least, he will be disclipined, unable to take the sacrement, go to the temple, etc.

People are polarized, with many supporting him in his wish for LDS bishops to stop asking tweens sexual questions behind closed doors without parental supervision, while others think he is stirring the shitpot. Others are upset that he will receive church disclipine or be removed completely fromthe church for bringing these issues to light, while a former leader who admitted to sexual misconduct is able to be in full standing in the church.

Twitter and the ExMormon Reddit page are really active with hashtags like #Istandwithsam and #protectldschildren

Wow. I'm very sorry that this person is being disciplined for trying to protect children from predators - it's very strange to me how little criticism the LDS church is prepared to tolerate. It seems like they react to anything that deviates from the official view with extreme/disproportionate force. I wonder when it will dawn on them that by attempting to quell dissent or disagreement with these kind of tactics only drives people away or onto the inactive list?

This is appalling! And this thing where children are alone in a room with a man who is questioning them in detail about their sexuality is beyond creepy; it's totally perverted. 

14 hours ago, nomoxian said:

while a former leader who admitted to sexual misconduct is able to be in full standing in the church.

I followed through on that link.  It's EXACTLY like so many stories of church sexual abuse, except that the guy admits it ON TAPE, and that still doesn't matter?  She notified multiple people over the yeats, and it still didn't matter? In addition, there have to be many other victims of this man, but the Mormon community with shield him because he managed to cover up his crimes with the usual props: wife, kids, rising through the ranks of the church. 

4 hours ago, Howl said:

the Mormon community with shield him because he managed to cover up his crimes with the usual props: wife, kids, rising through the ranks of the church. 

And because he's a white male holder of the priesthood. One of them is worth a kajillion victims any day of the week.

22 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

And because he's a white male holder of the priesthood. One of them is worth a kajillion victims any day of the week.

Especially because he has a high paying job, which means more tithing money coming into the church. Can't build a mall without a bunch of cash!

LDS bishop and all around decent human being Sam Young was excommunicated today. He is the leader of the Protect LDS Children movement which protests against the sexually explicit questions asked of children in worthiness interviews. These interviews involve awful questions and most often don’t allow the parent to be present. It is a truly horrific practice.

Meanwhile, an admitted rapist is still a full, practicing member of the Mormon church  

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/09/16/mormon-church/

I think a thread on Sam Young and this issue was started last week, but yes, this is crazy sad and an utterly horrible act on the part of the church.  This guy in the article you linked to is obviously a sexual predator; there are bound to be many, many more victims who have stayed quiet. 

As an aside, years ago I read a book about someone raised in the Mormon church.  She described a bishop dropping by to discuss her spiritual life and the state of her marriage. Apparently this was a "How ya doin'?" getting-to-know-you chat.  This talk included questions of an incredibly intimate nature about her married sex life, which apparently no one considered remiss.

On 9/10/2018 at 1:03 PM, hoipolloi said:

It’s also likely he’s received something called the Second Anointing, which allows you to have your “election made sure” and basically acts as a get out of sin free card. I don’t know that the church would ever ex someone who has received that (it’s a pretty small and select group). 

14 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

It’s also likely he’s received something called the Second Anointing, which allows you to have your “election made sure” and basically acts as a get out of sin free card. I don’t know that the church would ever ex someone who has received that (it’s a pretty small and select group). 

John Dehlin received the SA and was exed a few years ago. 

ETA: it was Tom Phillips I was thinking of, not John Dehlin. 

20 minutes ago, G33kywife said:

John Dehlin received the SA and was exed a few years ago. 

ETA: it was Tom Phillips I was thinking of, not John Dehlin. 

Yeah, and Tom Phillips left the church on his own, he wasn’t excommunicated I’m pretty sure. 

Based on his ecclesiastical position and geographical location, he might have gotten his Second Anointing. While the church does not reveal information about the practice being done for the past few decades, people who have since left the church say  they have received it.

@Briefly, and from the article it seems he was excommunicated for the heinous crime of trying to get other people to agree with him.

And the poor guy no longer has the privilege of wearing holy long johns or coughing up 10% of his gross income to the Church.

Archived