IGNORED

The Moody Institute Teaches us About Fish Sex

Shoobydoo

The things you find while watching mid-century educational videos while trying to finish crochet projects for the state fair. 

If you have a betta sorority, don't forget to shame them tonight for not following god's intended gender roles.

I found another one! This time Uncle Bob the handyman who knows everything tells us how ossicles are evidence of god's perfect design, and then slacks work so he can play catch to some very inspiring music.

I'm only like four minutes into the first video, but I have two thoughts:

1) Rifftrax needs to get a hold of this. Their commentary would be hilarious.

2) BUT IS THE FISH CONSTIPATED?

51 minutes ago, PopRox said:

BUT IS THE FISH CONSTIPATED?

:goldfish:

My first opportunity to use our new emoji. ;)

You know you’re a fundy when talking about fish reproduction is more acceptable than human reproduction.

Welcome to my world, people.  She sends me stuff like this All. The. TIme!

• 2 weeks later...

My male guppy died, so now my female guppies are heathen single moms (who keep eating their babies!).

9 hours ago, PumaLover said:

My male guppy died, so now my female guppies are heathen single moms (who keep eating their babies!).

Guess they don't like what you're feeding them.  My fishies liked flaked brine shrimp--is that still available?

I still want a nice big tank full of colorful, active inhabitants.

8 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Guess they don't like what you're feeding them.  My fishies liked flaked brine shrimp--is that still available?

I want that too! I'm using Omega One flake food but maybe I'm not feeding them enough. I've been crushing up the flakes a few times a day for the babies. I think the two fry I have now are going to make it. The tank is heavily planted so they have plenty of hiding spaces.

I'm a goldfish person, so these are the first tropical fish I've had in years!

Are those the Moody "science" videos from the 50's and 60's?  Vision Forum made a big deal out of selling the entire set and DPIART was so thrilled that these "amazing resources from my childhood" were available again.  

15 hours ago, Granwych said:

Nah, they just do that.  Fish eat their own fry all the time, no matter what you are feeding them.  That's why they have so many.

8 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Nah, they just do that.  Fish eat their own fry all the time, no matter what you are feeding them.  That's why they have so many.

Yeah, livebearers are awful parents. If you want to save the fry, provide lots of hiding places and the smartest, fastest ones will survive. Otherwise you'll need a whole separate tank. :) You COULD use a breeder net, but you have to be careful to pour water from the rest of the tank through it every day because circulation through the net tends to be mediocre at best.

15 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I'm using Omega One flake food but maybe I'm not feeding them enough.

15 hours ago, Granwych said:

My fishies liked flaked brine shrimp--is that still available?

I actually just have a mason jar with 5 or 6 kinds of fish food all mixed together. Protein and veggie pellets, protein and veggie flakes, and a few different kinds of freeze dried food. Instant variety for your fish without having to worry about what to feed them! As my boss put it, it's the world's worst party mix. :pb_lol:

I have been trying to post a pic of my tank but Tapatalk isn't working on my phone. It's very annoying.

Anyway, here is a pic of the tank. It had a bunch of plants in it, but when I saw the babies I crammed in all the extra ones I had, LOL. You can even see one of the babies on the right had side. I've been leaving the lights off for the time being, too. I think they're almost to the size where they're too big to be eaten.

On a side note, I'm setting up another goldfish tank this weekend. Mr. Puma is less than thrilled. It's only my third fish aquarium. The others are turtle tanks. So it seems reasonable to me!

guppies.jpg

Archived