IGNORED

9 Dead, 16 injured as van jumps curb in Toronto.

Carm_88

It’s not a good day when your city is on CNN. We’ve been saying for a long time that Toronto is a prime location for this type of attack. It is a very busy and vibrant city and there are so many pedestrians everywhere. Try turning right on a green light at any intersection.  I just feel numb. Nowhere is safe. But we already knew that, didn’t we?

I hope our other Toronto members check in. There are a bunch of us, I think.  

Hugs @Fascinated:group-hug: I am in shock. I really could not believe the news. I know Toronto especially Yonge Street is a prime location for this type of attack, but I didn't truly think that it would happen. :( 

I'm still waiting for multiple people I know in Toronto to check in. I'm sure they're completely fine (I mean, what are the odds, right?) but ugh.

18 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Hugs @Fascinated:group-hug: I am in shock. I really could not believe the news. I know Toronto especially Yonge Street is a prime location for this type of attack, but I didn't truly think that it would happen. :( 

I didn’t either.  But we’ve worried a bit about someone setting off a bomb on a Go-train or at Union Station. I have thought for ages that it would make a statement to attack Toronto.  We have a reputation (as Canadians) of being polite, happy people and we basically fly under the radar. So an attack here drives home the fact that no one and no place is safe anymore.  It is impossible to truly believe we actually did get hit today. Those poor people. 

I have some family in Toronto , thankfully they are all safe :tw_heart:  This is too close to home as the saying goes. 

I don't know anyone here from Toronto  here on FJ, but I hope everyone is safe. :tw_heart:

I'm in the GTA, but not Toronto proper.  About an hour before this happened, I saw my mother and sister off on a Toronto-bound GO bus, so there was a moment of panic before I confirmed the location wasn't somewhere they'd been heading.  The news has been horrible this afternoon, so sad to see this happening in TO.

A friend of mine posted a screenshot of the a news anchor reporting on this on site, and three teens in the background of the shot were taking selfies because the mayor was behind them. What the hell. What is wrong with people?? I hope all FJers and loved ones are safe.

Today I am reading that it has been confirmed that the facebook post appearing on the suspect's page which proclaimed this:  "The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!" was real.

If you don't know, "Incel" stands for 'involuntary celibate'. They are a self-identified group of people - overwhelmingly men - who hold women responsible for the fact that they don't have intimate relationships.  Here's a twitter thread about them.

Reddit shut down their Sub last year after it updated its policy regarding the promotion or glorification of violence. The Elliot Rodger referred to above killed six people in California in 2014. 

I'm writing this all out to process it. I hope everyone on this forum from Toronto is ok.

As a culture, it is long past the point to talk about the intersection of misognyny and online radicalization.  Gamergate was past the point, tbh.

Hopefully this disgusting tragedy will spotlight the slimey darkness these asshats are spawning. If it's not one damn thing it's another.  We need to spend more $ to identify these problems and grow some balls to deal with them. Stay strong Toronto we love you.

@seraaa I saw on reddit yesterday that it was thought that the suspect was an incel, seeing the confirmation today was disgusting. Clearly something has to be done about these guys. If you cannot find a woman who will be in a relationship with you, there may be something wrong with you. 

My heart is still with all the families. :(

This guy sounds like such a douche. No wonder no woman wants to sleep with him.

@Carm_88 which bit of Canada are you in? Just interested :) 

3 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

This guy sounds like such a douche. No wonder no woman wants to sleep with him.

@Carm_88 which bit of Canada are you in? Just interested :) 

Newfoundland! :) 

We have heard about it, but not a lot as there has been a local story that is pretty big and has taken most of the news time.  I'm not familiar with the incel group, but they sound really dangerous.  That is just horrible.

My relatives laid flowers earlier today and left a little message on my behalf. I've been reading and watching reports of the bystanders who tried to save lives. 

I have been worrying about copy cat acts after such attacks happened it Europe, I never thought it could happen in Canada, I know I was naive and so wrong to think that. I hope the so and so who did this gives answers as to why it happened. 

I'm absolutely heartsick about this. 

18 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I'm absolutely heartsick about this. 

I'm sorry. It really is horrible.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

. If you cannot find a woman who will be in a relationship with you, there may be something wrong with you. 

My heart is still with all the families. :(

I just don't understand. It's sadness or frustration which has corroded any sense of perspective or decency. And their entitlement to women's attention is off the charts.

Yes :( 

I can no longer watch news reports of it. I was shocked to see at least two victims with tarps or body bags covering them. :'(. This is a nightmare, truly. 

I hope justice will be served. 

Is everyone here from the area safe? 

Archived