IGNORED

Kellogg's Cereal Apologizes for Racist Corn Pop Drawing

ViolaSebastian

While I completely agree, the sight of that lone brown corn pop working while everyone else had fun made me laugh hilariously. Racism is so prevalent that we have a freakin' brown CORN POP as the janitor! I am a person of color and this sort of thing is so common that it's hard for me to get too riled up. It's so pathetic that I have to laugh.

I'm not attempting to invalidate anyone else's response. Just sharing how it made me feel.

Alternative take: The brown corn pop is the only one with a productive paying job. The yellow ones are all stoned out of their senses. 

Alternate view --- it doesn't mean a thing, the ad people never thought about race, and some people are just looking for anything, anything at all, to be super sensitive and ever so politically correct about.

Who the hell studies their cereal boxes for something to get worked up about??????   

Bullshit.  Marketing is very calculated.  They may miss the mark, but, it's all on purpose.   

12 minutes ago, nssherlock said:

Alternate view --- it doesn't mean a thing, the ad people never thought about race, and some people are just looking for anything, anything at all, to be super sensitive and ever so politically correct about.

Who the hell studies their cereal boxes for something to get worked up about??????   

Yes, and now that it was mentioned, people may feel upset about it where I am guessing most people don't even look at their cereal boxes or think of race at all when they look at cartoons of non-humans. I am not saying I don't understand why people feel upset when they think of it in this way. I just don't think it was intended to be depicted that way.

It might have been unintended but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. It is a bit odd that someone decided the one brown pop would be a janitor. 

1 hour ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

Yes, and now that it was mentioned, people may feel upset about it where I am guessing most people don't even look at their cereal boxes or think of race at all when they look at cartoons of non-humans. I am not saying I don't understand why people feel upset when they think of it in this way. I just don't think it was intended to be depicted that way.

Thanks heaven you aren't a racist dickhead cos imagine if you were.

Someone had to deliberately make one corn pop a different color. Literally every single other corn pop is the same color. I'm not buying this was an accident. Like @Beermeet said, marketing is calculated. Everything that goes into making a logo or used in advertisement is subject to close scrutiny and careful decision making. And I don't think someone was looking to be upset about. It probably caught someone's eye when they looked at the box. Or maybe they were looking at the box while enjoying their cereal. Who knows. You don't have to look for racism to find it.

When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to bring a book to the table, because then I'd forget to eat. So guess what I read very carefully every morning while I ate my cereal? I knew the Corn Flake box or the Rice Krispies box very well by the time the cereal was all eaten. I'm glad they changed the box, but what a stupid message to put out in the first place! How hard would it have been for all the Corn Pops to be the same yellow color in the first place?

Why not make the lone one in the store buying stuff?  Why not make a few brown ones doing different stuff?  Why make any, they come in one color only.  I don't walk through life never noticing details or choosing to just never give a shit.  The pop is kinda ridiculous compared to other more serious racial issues which get ignored as well.  Call 'em all out!  F that.  Your time is up @nssherlock, the majority now notices and is not afraid to call shit out.  You had a good run, but, we're evolving.  Despite 45.  We will win.

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

Why not make the lone one in the store buying stuff?  Why not make a few brown ones doing different stuff?  Why make any, they come in one color only.  I don't walk through life never noticing details or choosing to just never give a shit.  The pop is kinda ridiculous compared to other more serious racial issues which get ignored as well.  Call 'em all out!  F that.  Your time is up @nssherlock, the majority now notices and is not afraid to call shit out.  You had a good run, but, we're evolving.  Despite 45.  We will win.

What on earth are you on about????

What will you win?   What is the war?    You seem deranged to put it mildly, playing some fantasy game?

What the hell is 45? I have not a clue as to what you are rambling about, can only assume you are hallucinating.    I assure you that you have absolutely no importance in the scheme of things.

Creepy to say the least.

Between your obvious insanity and delusion and laPissa's foul mouth, I have had about enough of this place.   Not much rational discussion going on at this point.

That the moderators are part of the problem is obvious --- not so different from the fundamentalists you started out trying to out, clique of like minded morons.

This is a haven for lunatics, basement dwellers with no other outlet, and foul mouthed freaks.

I'm gone - total waste of time.

25 minutes ago, nssherlock said:

I have had about enough of this place

Is this an official flounce? From the guidelines:

Please do not threaten to flounce repeatedly (or say things like this is my last post and then continue to post multiple times, in the same thread, in a short period of time).   This is annoying, attention seeking and disrupts threads.   This does not include the one off "joke" type I'm flouncing comments.

@nssherlock is your ponytail too tight? Here's an idea for you: if you don't care for a particular topic, ignore it. Ta da! Then you don't have to come to this thread looking "for something to get worked up about". Weren't those your own words? 

9 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I got rid of the troll?!  Little 'ol me?

:Yes:

OMG! Can you work your magic on another one?!!!!!!!!!

What struck me is why anyone decided a Pop had to be brown at all.  The cereal is golden yellow.  The characters are pieces of cereal.  Having them all be golden yellow is fine.  It wouldn't be a race issue if some idiot didn't decide to sneak a brown character in there.  

On 10/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, nssherlock said:

Between your obvious insanity and delusion and laPissa's foul mouth, I have had about enough of this place.   Not much rational discussion going on at this point.

That the moderators are part of the problem is obvious --- not so different from the fundamentalists you started out trying to out, clique of like minded morons.

This is a haven for lunatics, basement dwellers with no other outlet, and foul mouthed freaks.

I'm gone - total waste of time.

Promise?

Archived