IGNORED

Your 2018 Planner

Buzzard

https://intheleafytreetops.com/2018-mom-on-the-go-planner/

I really dont even know where to start with this but had to share.  Its about that time for you to start thinking about that planner, apparently.  This includes getting a "pretty" one with shit written in cursive and hard to read.  It also requires you to write down shit that you shouldnt write down, all in one place.  And the bible, of course it has the bible!  Sadly, for you LDS wimmenz out there, you have to buy your own Family Home Evening to go along with your useless planner.

Bonus features:

-somewhere for you to hand write all the blogs you like, cuz google is apparently broken

- a place for you to write out "a few of my favorite things" because you might forget them?

- Scripture reading

- A place to write out all of your family's symptoms, and preserve that for posterity...

- A place to write out all of your family's prescriptions, provided that they only take 4

- a whole fucking page for you to write out who you want to send thank you notes to... wouldnt it be easier just to write the notes?

- TWO whole pages so you can keep your family's entire year of Dr's appointments in one confusing place

- A place to write out all the "professional" phone numbers in your life (because your iphone is broken)

- A place to write out all your online accounts, webpages, account numbers, and PASSWORDS

- Daily checklists for prayer, scripture reading, meal plans, and other ideas.  YAY

- Inspirational quotes

- A family section to dedicate to you and your marriage, family ideas, and chores!

- And, of course, Home maintenance and cleaning schedule!

What good, christian, mother, wouldnt want one of these for christmas?  I mean, the planner can just run your life! I dont know how I've survived with just my iphone and a notebook all these years.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planners are like, a THING, and not just weird "Christian" ones. All the big box craft stores have these huge sections of customizable planner stuff now. You get your cute, overpriced binder thing, then you pick out your 15 packs of different pages to put in it, ranging from budget to fitness to "spiritual", not to mention the actual calendar pages, and then you can get these expensive packs of planner stickers that are also themed for the different categories like fitness and budget and whatever. I think scrapbooking has become passé and obsessive planner keeping is the thing they've concocted to replace it. Even Target has their lower priced knockoff versions going on.

Of course, I would be lying if I didn't say I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I just don't allow myself to buy any of it because every time I buy a planner I use it for all of three days and then it lies at the bottom of a pile of unopened mail somewhere, sad and forgotten. :pb_lol:

ETA: I present some evidence: 

https://www.michaels.com/search?q=planner

32 pages of planners and planner related accessories. :confused:

I try to back up my phone calendar on paper (my old iPhone ate my calendar :my_sad: ), but I just get a little, simple calendar. I try to copy over the important stuff once a week, but I'm behind, because it's a pain. I am resolutely ignoring the temptation to buy one of the cute, customisable planners like @Shoobydoo mentioned. Pray to Rufus that I hold steady! :pb_lol:

I have a filofax and have bought some stickers and washi tape but I didn't spent a lot on them, the stickers and washi tape do also get used by nephew to make birthday cards. I plan on printing my own inserts for next year as the Internet has a lot of free templates to download and I can get a whole punch that fits the binders on eBay. Since starting uni my filofax has came in handy for keeping track of assignments, I don't trust putting things down electronically since my phones and tablets have crashed and I've lost data.

21 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I try to back up my phone calendar on paper (my old iPhone ate my calendar :my_sad: ), but I just get a little, simple calendar. I try to copy over the important stuff once a week, but I'm behind, because it's a pain. I am resolutely ignoring the temptation to buy one of the cute, customisable planners like @Shoobydoo mentioned. Pray to Rufus that I hold steady! :pb_lol:

I "back up" my iphone calendar on a wall calendar. Partly in case the phone crashes and partly because I work somewhere different every work day, so it helps Mr. 05 out--he can look at the wall calendar to see where I am or where I'm going if he needs to. 

I used a simple calendar book back in my pre-iPhone days. I tried some fancy planners in my early years of teaching and it was too much work. 

Off-topic, but: Is it a common thing to say the year 2018 as twenty eighteen? It's on the planner Buzzard linked, and it looks so weird to me. I'm not a native speaker, but I still use two thousand-something for saying the year out loud. 

I was kinda saving the twenty-something year number for twenty-twenty, because I think it sounds fun and it reminds me of an old tv cartoon series I sometimes watched as a kid. 

21 minutes ago, BundleofJoy said:

Off-topic, but: Is it a common thing to say the year 2018 as twenty eighteen? It's on the planner Buzzard linked, and it looks so weird to me. I'm not a native speaker, but I still use two thousand-something for saying the year out loud. 

I was kinda saving the twenty-something year number for twenty-twenty, because I think it sounds fun and it reminds me of an old tv cartoon series I sometimes watched as a kid. 

I feel like at this point more people say "twenty-[current year]" than not. I still say "two thousand," though; saying "twenty" bothers me for some reason.

17 minutes ago, BundleofJoy said:

Off-topic, but: Is it a common thing to say the year 2018 as twenty eighteen?

You can use "twenty eighteen" and "two thousand [and] eighteen" interchangeably, although I would use the second term in formal writing.

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

It also requires you to write down shit that you shouldnt write down, all in one place. 

Seriously... I assume you are supposed to bring the godly planner with them so you don't forget appointments? All this info would be a goldmine for a thief. At least if people keep things on a phone you can password protect it and have a bit of security.

Altogether that planner is hysterical! Unrelated, but I'm sick of all these fake chalkboard-y designs on stationary, wedding invites, etc. lately. Isn't that trend over yet? :D 

I'm into planners. :my_blush: They've really helped me stay organized. I don't really see the issue. None of that stuff is unusual for planners. Some people just need to have stuff written down. I've seen a lot of Christian themed stuff. 

I'm honestly not sure what's to snark on here. 

38 minutes ago, BundleofJoy said:

As a native speaker, I'd say it's far more common than not.

I didn't really hear twenty-specific year for the period from 2000 through 2009, (aka the oughts/noughts) because twenty-nine sounds like 29 and twenty-oh-nine just sounds weird. Thus, everyone used two-thousand, then two-thousand plus single digit year, i.e. two-thousand-nine.

As soon as it hit 2010 I started hearing twenty-year, since twenty-ten and on cannot easily be confused with a two-digit number. I think everyone was so used to nineteen-year that NOT saying twenty-specific year may have felt unnatural, we just also wanted to avoid confusion and thus forced ourselves to use the two-thousand-year construction during that specific period.

1 hour ago, BundleofJoy said:

50 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

As a native speaker, I'd say it's far more common than not.

I didn't really hear twenty-specific year for the period from 2000 through 2009, (aka the oughts/noughts) because twenty-nine sounds like 29 and twenty-oh-nine just sounds weird. Thus, everyone used two-thousand, then two-thousand plus single digit year, i.e. two-thousand-nine.

As soon as it hit 2010 I started hearing twenty-year, since twenty-ten and on cannot easily be confused with a two-digit number. I think everyone was so used to nineteen-year that NOT saying twenty-specific year may have felt unnatural, we just also wanted to avoid confusion and thus forced ourselves to use the two-thousand-year construction during that specific period.

My experience is the same, metheglyn. I think it's just how it rolls off the tongue, it happens a lot in English for numbers over 1000 but less than 10,000. If you ever listen to historical documentaries in english, they used the "something-teen whatever year" format for pretty much any time period. So, if they were talking about something that happened in the 1601, it would be said "sixteen-oh-one". If Jill R's retreat attracted 1200 people (ha!), it might be said that she had twelve hundred guests instead of one thousand two hundred. Or if I had 1500 dollars, i would have fifteen hundred dollars instead of one thousand five hundred dollars. It's just faster and easier to say, I suppose. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a holdover from more archaic sentence structure, though.

I think you'd only hear someone saying the whole "two thousand and eighteen" out loud in a very formal circumstance, like a speech or something, but even then it would sound very odd.

Planners are a big thing in one of the small business groups I’m in, I like to think I could be like them, but reality is my phone is much more convenient and it’s almost always on me. 

Lots of the features in the OP had me rolling my eyes and were snark worthy :) 

1 hour ago, Shoobydoo said:

I think you'd only hear someone saying the whole "two thousand and eighteen" out loud in a very formal circumstance, like a speech or something, but even then it would sound very odd.

Eh, I typically say years like that (and have heard plenty of other people say it that way) and have never had anyone comment on it or even look at me weird (that I've noticed!). Like I said, I do think it's more common to say "twenty," but plenty of people do still say "two thousand."

Edit: Actually, I just say "two thousand eighteen," not "two thousand and eighteen." The latter would sound a little odd, I agree.

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Eh, I typically say years like that (and have heard plenty of other people say it that way) and have never had anyone comment on it or even look at me weird (that I've noticed!). Like I said, I do think it's more common to say "twenty," but plenty of people do still say "two thousand."

Edit: Actually, I just say "two thousand eighteen," not "two thousand and eighteen." The latter would sound a little odd, I agree.

Since I'm curious now, what part of the country do you live in (if you're American?) I wonder if there's a regional tendency to say one or the other, or if it's just a mix of both all around. No need to share if you don't want to, obviously! :)

Just now, Shoobydoo said:

Since I'm curious now, what part of the country do you live in (if you're American?) I wonder if there's a regional tendency to say one or the other, or if it's just a mix of both all around. No need to share if you don't want to, obviously! :)

I grew up in Arkansas, but I now live in the northeast.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

I grew up in Arkansas, but I now live in the northeast.

Interesting. Now I have to ask my mom what she thinks about it when I visit in a few days, she's from the NE US. :) I grew up in Ohio but now live in MN. I think most people I hear say "twenty", but now I'm going to be listening for it....

I said "two thousand one" and so on and I'm now trying to get in the habit of saying "twenty seventeen" instead. I grew up saying "nineteen eighty" and so on, so it seems normal to me.

Really, either sounds fine to me, but my MIL says "two, oh, oh, one" through "two, oh, oh, nine" and it drives me nuts. I can't remember what she says for 2010 through 2017.  (I grew up in and live in the inland northwest of the US.)

Planners *are* a big thing (says the person who loves her Filofax). Just go to insta & enter hashtags for Filofax or Erin Condren or whatever, or search on YouTube for planner videos. You’ll see!

Not into decoration myself (trans. = poor crafting skills), but I find my Filofax useful for tracking life/work/projects & brainstorming. Gotta say though, as impressive as many of these decorated planners are, it’s hard for a non-decorator to see how they are functional. To each her own...

Xtian planners & planning are also huge. Lots of Etsy sellers with tons of fundie-type stickers, inserts, etc., from bible journaling to date night stickers to prayer reminders.

You have to have the morally Right planner. There's a former mommy blogger, now just an instagrammer and multi-level marketer for some crap nutritional supplements (not Plexus) who Could Not Stop shilling for her expensive Passion Planner. Until it turned out that the owner/designer/wtfever supported Planned Parenthood, which this former Mommyblogger does not, although a little birth control wouldn't have hurt in her case. But now Passion Planner is evil and she is bereft at the thought of finding another planner that is Trump-friendly.

The thing that shocked me the most was the price: almost $40. 

If there was a paper planner that would auto-fill, I'd be all over that like a duck on a june bug!  I love the idea of a planner, and how pretty it is, but for me, it would just be a LOT of extra work; I'm non-linear and easily distracted, and like it that way. 

Easy to see how some people would really enjoy it or find it useful, though. 

Also intrigued by the sheet of "cute LDS planner stickers" at the bottom of the page.  The only thing LDS-specific was the Stake Conference stickers. 

14 hours ago, December said:

Seriously... I assume you are supposed to bring the godly planner with them so you don't forget appointments? All this info would be a goldmine for a thief. At least if people keep things on a phone you can password protect it and have a bit of security.

This.

I dont even set my car's GPS to my exact home address because if someone steals my keys from a valet I dont want them to have the keys to my house and my garage codes.  I cant imagine having a huge ass book that I'd have to carry around (while toting my kids) with, literally, the keys to my life, medical history, and accounts written in it with glitter and cursive.

And FORTY DOLLARS??? That just seems stupid.  Outlook can do all of that for free - print it out if you have to.

Also, I say twenty seventeen

16 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I'm into planners. :my_blush: They've really helped me stay organized. I don't really see the issue. None of that stuff is unusual for planners. Some people just need to have stuff written down. I've seen a lot of Christian themed stuff. 

I love planners too, although I recently made the most twee decision I could and switched to bullet journaling. Couldn't be happier with it, precisely because some of the pages in this Christian planner probably seem ridiculous to most of us. With bullet journaling, you create your own "modules"- mine include savings, tattoo ideas, books I've completed, media I want to check out (that list is actually about 50% FJ recommendations- thanks!), stuff I need to sew/mend, stuff I need to get rid of... that sort of thing.

I'm pretty tech-savvy but my Google calendar is just a wreck of different overlapping things. I prefer to leave that part of my life at the office. Plus, I remember things a lot better when I write them down by hand.

I always had a paper calendar, until google calendar came along. I now share my calendar with my husband and import my work calendar with my personal so I can see how everything will happen. I am about to link my daughters google to the calendar so she can see what is going on with the family. With google, it doesn't matter if my phone crashes, I just need another device to log in and see what is going on. 

$40 is a bit much, IMO. When I bought planners, I always used the month at a view planner. I need a big overview of what is going on to plan new or commit to events. 

I used to get the cheap planners with the plastic cover at the dollar store, and would forget to use them half the time.

Ugh, that loopy cursive script is a personal bete noire. It's EVERYWHERE on Insta and Pinterest, especially among the mormon/evangelical set. 

Archived