IGNORED

Coloring

Curious

Colorists and aspiring colorists chat here.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's project.  Which consider Johanna Brasford went faster than I thought.  From Lost Ocean.  And at this point, nope, not doing the background because I seem to like white space (and I'm a bit afraid of screwing it up if I go further).  Crayola Twistables because I wanted to try them in the tiny little spots in this book.  (she still makes me cross-eyed and hand crampy)

20171011_124457.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

lovely as always.  I found my twistables recently and can't wait to start using them again :)   I love Johanna's books, but they are very intricate. 

Have you seen her new one?  I have it on my wishlist, but I'm not sure I will get it.  I've seen quite a few people coloring in it and their pages look nice, but I'm not really feeling it.  Other than one page which has a lovely butterfly on it.  I'm not buying the book just for that though.  There are hundreds of books full of butterflies.

• Upvote 2

Here is one of my newest.  I have never colored a greyscale page before, but so many books I love are greyscale I decided I better figure it out.

I also just got the wildly expensive polychromos colored pencils as a special treat to myself after saving some $$ for them.  This was my first time using them as well.  They are much harder than prismacolors and will take some getting used to, but I am happy with my first attempt with a double learning curve.

This is from Adorable Animals by Jane Maday.

gs-kitty-maday.png

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, Curious said:

Here is one of my newest.  I have never colored a greyscale page before, but so many books I love are greyscale I decided I better figure it out.

I also just got the wildly expensive polychromos colored pencils as a special treat to myself after saving some $$ for them.  This was my first time using them as well.  They are much harder than prismacolors and will take some getting used to, but I am happy with my first attempt with a double learning curve.

This is from Adorable Animals by Jane Maday.

gs-kitty-maday.png

This is beautiful! The polychromos give a sharper look vs. the Prismas, which is perfect for this picture. 

• Upvote 2

I haven't seen her newest.  I still drift more toward mandalas and Celtic knotwork where I don't have to think about things quite as much.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/9/2017 at 8:58 AM, clueliss said:

I haven't seen her newest.  I still drift more toward mandalas and Celtic knotwork where I don't have to think about things quite as much.  

I love the mandalas as well.  I just saw a flip through of a new Christmas book coming called Christmas Circles.  I'm normally not very into holiday specific coloring books, though I do have a couple Christmas and Halloween ones from some of the artists that I really like.

There seems to be a somewhat new trend where artists are giving 2 copies of each design, one with a white background and one with a black background.  I really like that.

This is one I recently did from one of those books:

seahorse-metallic.PNG

This was done with Feela colored pencils.  They are a marvelous alternative to prismacolors.  The 150 set of prismacolors runs between $78 and $95 on amazon.  The Feela 152 set is $25.99.   I wanted to fill out my prismacolor set as I have the 72 and was missing some necessary colors now that I'm shading, particularly flesh tons and neutrals.  I had saved up enough for the 150 set at $78 (where it sat for literally months) and right before I was ready to order the price jumped up to $95 (frustrating).  So I looked around for alternatives and the Feela set had good reviews.  I figured for $26 I would give it a go.  I LOVE them.  They blend beautifully with prismas. 

I just did a page using both, but don't have a picture of it yet.  I'll post it when my husband gets home and can take a pic for me.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...

It’s been a bit of a coloring dry spell for me.  But this last week I found my way back, prompted in part by a Facebook memory.  Including a shot of the book, which is spiral bound at the top.  Nice paper, but the book includes a sheet to tear out to put between pages to prevent bleed thru (not needed. In this case but good practice).  Only printed on one side too.187490B1-FB9F-42DA-8A29-062463428567.thumb.jpeg.97b51c8f63757a41b159fd36014bd65a.jpeg

Spoiler

102D69FC-EB2A-4BA3-937F-05C305B3BEBE.thumb.jpeg.ad44700dd2af2e00fd7ed3db1857f372.jpeg

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

Next one (and for the record - yes I'm going in order in this book because I'm weird that way).  (and there are a couple of smudges on this that when I see them make me twitchy).  If I were to do this over I would likely change some of the tiny areas in the middle to white - mainly because I like the effect of the white where I left it uncoloredIMG_20190317_064139.jpg.815ceba136ba309eba8df87b5d5d07d2.jpg but by then it was too late to undo the ink.  

• Upvote 4

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, clueliss said:

Next one (and for the record - yes I'm going in order in this book because I'm weird that way).  (and there are a couple of smudges on this that when I see them make me twitchy).  If I were to do this over I would likely change some of the tiny areas in the middle to white - mainly because I like the effect of the white where I left it uncoloredIMG_20190317_064139.jpg.815ceba136ba309eba8df87b5d5d07d2.jpg but by then it was too late to undo the ink.  

I like the white space, but I'm not sure if that would drive me nuts and make it feel unfinished to me or not.

I always love your color combinations on the mandalas.

Edited by Curious
riffle
  • Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.