Post your awesome recipes here!

Cherry Frosting

1/3 cup dried tart cherries 

1/3 cup boiling water

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar 

1 cup softened butter

1 tsp Vanilla extract

1 tsp Almond extract

Place cherries in a heatproof container, pour the boiling water over them, and let steep for five minutes. Drain off the cherry juice and set aside. Place the rehydrated cherries in a small food processor and pulse until finely chopped. ( If you don't have a food processor, let the cherries cool, and chop them up with a knife.) Place the softened butter in a large bowl, or in the bowl that comes with your stand mixer, and whip until creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar, cherries, cherry juice, and extracts until well combined. Let your cake or cupcakes cool, and frost as desired.

I like to put this on chocolate cake, but it also pairs nicely with plain yellow or vanilla cakes and cupcakes.

Wouldn't it make more sense for recipes to go into individual threads so people can search for them later? 

6 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for recipes to go into individual threads so people can search for them later? 

I don't think so. You can always use the search function to find a specific recipe. But having all the recipes in one place makes it easier to find them when you just want to browse. And for ease of searching, I'm linking to the Great FJ Recipe thread. 

I hate the great recipe thread, I find it hard to manage. Personally, I think a sub forum with individual threads for each recipe makes more sense. Ymmv. 

And the search doesn't work for me, I always get the "wait" screen and I give up. 

I'm going to be moving the food threads in here, eventually. There can be a forum just for recipes where each one has its own thread.  that's the beauty of these clubs, which are taking a bit to set up because of the learning curve.

I'm really excited about them though.  I think they are going to be great for us, particularly from a community building standpoint.

Maybe threads could be topics, like vegetarian main dishes, main dishes, side dishes, salads, desserts, seasonal favorites, etc. However best they'd fit. I have no strong feelings on it, just came to mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have a quick, favorite soup recipe? The temp just dropped around here and I'm craving something hearty and warming.  

On 11/10/2017 at 7:47 PM, Ignorance Bread said:

Does anybody have a quick, favorite soup recipe? The temp just dropped around here and I'm craving something hearty and warming.  

I am happy to post any South Indian vegetarian recipes that people want.

Thank you @Demonfan! I love making chapati with whole wheat flour. I read that you can make roti with other cereals, but it's more difficult for the lack of gluten. Do you have suggestions?

What are your favourite fillings to eat with chapati? Would you recommend something (better if not overly hot cos my family has objections) considering that I mostly have winter veggies (any sort of cabbages, squashes, radicchio, onions)?

@laPapessaGiovanna Chapatis are made with wheat flour. However, there is a type of rhoti made from rice flour. 

2 cups rice flour

1 small onion diced

1 small bunch cilantro leaves diced

1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

Mix the above ingredients in a mixing bowl.

1/2 tsp mustard seeds

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

4 curry leaves torn into pieces

Brown the above spices in a pan with ghee or oil and add to the mixing bowl.

Stir all of the contents of the mixing bowl together.

Add water a bit at a time until a soft dough is achieved. It will be softer than chapati dough, but not a pourable liquid.

Heat a skillet to medium heat, and add some  ghee or oil to the pan.

Make a small ball of dough and place it in the pan, flattening it out to the desired size and thickness.

The thinner the rhoti the more crisp it is.

When the rhoti lifts easily from the pan and is slightly brown, flip it over. After 2 minutes, it is done.

I prefer a non-stick pan for these.

I would add 4-5 diced green chillies as well.

Please let me know what kind of dishes you want to go along with the chapathi.  Do you prefer a stew/soup type? Or a vegetable cooked without gravy?

• 1 month later...

Is there a gluten free thread? Desperately searching for inspiration/in a rut recipe wise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:32 PM, Bethella said:

I do, what I call, a white soup.

olive oil

Bacon or ham hock 

8 rashers of bacon cut into lardons

1/2 head cauliflower in to flowerettes

1/4-1/2 white cabbage thinly sliced

2 potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes

1/2 cup pearl barley washed

1/2 cup rice

chicken stock cubes 2-3 depends on taste

paprika to taste

You can add onion as well, but I am allergic 

Method

heat a small amount of oil in stock pot

brown bacon and onion if using and brown

add cauliflower, cabbage, barley, rice and potatoes 

cover with water

set on to heat

crumble in stock cubes- start with 2 and add 3rd if you feel it needs it

add paprika - I like a lot so will add a tablespoon or more to taste

Simmer until rice, potato and pearl barley is cooked about an hour

remove ham hock before serving.

If you don’t want to scoop fat, just pop it in the fridge until fat has hardened and scoop fat off.

Serve hot with crusty bread and add freshly cracked pepper 

• 7 months later...

I made a black bean, rice, and salsa thingy today.

First I soaked some dry beans. The method I used was to dump the bag of beans in a pot, paw through them to see if there are any bits of dirt before deciding I don't care if there's dirt I'll just rinse them later. Then I put enough water to cover them by a couple inches. Then I wandered off to do other things. Eventually I remembered that I was soaking beans and checked on them. They had absorbed some of the water but were still very much not doing their thing fast enough so I put a little more water in then put them on the stove over about a medium heat, then I wandered off again. Once I heard the sizzle of a pot of beans boiling over I checked on them. Still not ready and they needed more water. I added more water and turned the heat down. After a few hours the entire house smelled like cooking beans. They still weren't ready but I took this time to drain the water and refill it with fresh, non-dirt water and returned them to the heat.  After a couple more hours of cooking the beans were ready but I had gotten tired of waiting and had a sandwich. This all happened yesterday.

TODAY I made some white instant rice and put about equal parts cooked rice with the black beans from yesterday and then mixed in a few spoons of salsa.  Tasty, filling, gluten free, fat free protein and carbs. Next time I go to the store I am buying canned beans and no one can stop me.

Archived