Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Rachel333

    21

  • Carm_88

    20

  • nst

    11

  • HarryPotterFan

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go Joy.

#*&$^@#*$.  Ok, you all have awoken the grumpy astronomer.  Pluto's not a planet and shouldn't be- here's the short explanation, and you can appreciate Pluto more for it.  (And if you think I'm bi

Ok here is my attempt at a recap. Please be patient with me, I wrote this on my phone while sneezing. It's super long fyi.      I forgot to mention that Ben goes into the Duggar p

Posted Images

VeryNikeSeamstress

@Lurky Good points. I'm a female bodied queer, and have always wondered how much -perspectives on sex would change if people were to approach sex education in the same way it is approached in resources for the queer community. For instance, I've met plenty of straight men who have not heard of the concept of barriers for performing oral sex on women (or rimming), and using gloves for digital penetration, yet when I first started going to my hometown's queer youth group, this was discussed.

I have a friend who was married to a trans man for a couple of years. She would always chuckle internally when medical professionals asked her about birth control or family planning stuff. There were also various ongoing jokes about her and her husband being the 'straightest gay couple in town' (he was a very hairy masculine guy, she's long-haired and feminine). She also had extended family members who had no idea her ex husband was trans, and who are now scratching their heads because she's having a child with a female partner.

  • Upvote 21
Link to post
Share on other sites
calimojo

I have been a nurse for a million years and worked in several different areas of healthcare.  And, I can tell you that it is fairly common for people to lie or be in denial or perhaps uneducated as to whether they are sexually active.  It happens frequently that a young woman will deny being sexually active only to have them turn up pregnant.  It might be a case of denial, or in some cases, the young woman may be seriously uneducated as to what Sex is especially sexual activity that  can result in a pregnancy.  I thiNk pareNts Must do a better job with prepariNg their kids for what iNfo is asked at doCtor Visits or the ED  (ugh keyBoard is aCting up with Caps)

 

I am a pretty empathetic person, but I guess I am puzzled that questions like this are surprising to anyone.  And yes, we are taught to ask questions in more than one way because sometimes people lie, or sometimes they honestly forget and it takes asking the question in a few different ways to trigger their memory.  I don't mean this just about pregnancy, but health information in general.  I can't tell you how many times I have asked someone if they have high blood pressure and they answer no, but then you look at their list of meds and they are 2 different BP meds.  People forget,  and if they are in pain, or feeling unwell or anxious they lose focus.  Doctors and nurses ask many of the same questions of patients yet often the answers are very different.  People, for a variety of reasons, are not always super reliable, especially when stressed and when scared. 

The art of getting medical information is in how to ask.  You have to read your patient.  Some will do better with a very matter of fact tone and business like attitude, Others respond to humor, and many respond well to warmth and kindness.  But everyone is different.  My husband, just likes straightforward stuff and someone who is in his opinion over the top nice, bugs him   

  • Upvote 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

I remember being horribly embarrassed when I was a teenager and a doctor first asked me if I was sexually active. By the second visit with that doctor, I knew to expect the question, and I understood why it was important to ask me multiple times. It still embarrassed me, so I usually made a joke. "I promise doctor, you'll be the third person to know if I decide to start having sex!" 

  • Upvote 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
church_of_dog
4 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I remember being horribly embarrassed when I was a teenager and a doctor first asked me if I was sexually active. By the second visit with that doctor, I knew to expect the question, and I understood why it was important to ask me multiple times. It still embarrassed me, so I usually made a joke. "I promise doctor, you'll be the third person to know if I decide to start having sex!" 

And then there is the reverse situation.  During a recent doctor's visit, I was embarrassed upon having to admit that I'm *not* currently sexually active... :my_blush:

  • Upvote 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurky
13 hours ago, calimojo said:

I can't tell you how many times I have asked someone if they have high blood pressure and they answer no, but then you look at their list of meds and they are 2 different BP meds.  People forget,  and if they are in pain, or feeling unwell or anxious they lose focus. 

I think there's also the thing about how people interpret the questions too.  So my dad might answer "Do you have high blood pressure?" with no, because the meds he's on have sorted it out, for example, and a kid who's had it drummed into their head that only PiV is "sex" might say no to "are you sexually active?", so I totally understand why healthcare practitioners ask the same question in different ways (especially in different settings/company).

  • Upvote 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
BirthingGodsWarriors

The new episode is up and available on Amazon. I'm home sick in bed today and will try to watch/ post highlights. Unless anyone else is up to do it.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
MoonFace
11 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I remember being horribly embarrassed when I was a teenager and a doctor first asked me if I was sexually active.  

Then there is the joke that the answer is, "No, I just tend to lie there and let it happen."

  • Upvote 23
Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzzard
35 minutes ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

The new episode is up and available on Amazon. I'm home sick in bed today and will try to watch/ post highlights. Unless anyone else is up to do it.

Go for it.  Save me the pain later!

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Incognito22

That's crazy, I would never sit like that and I wear shorts and tank tops!

  • Upvote 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88
4 minutes ago, Fluffypaws said:

So, Joy, please explain modesty to our viewers.... :pb_lol:

But...but, she's doing it in a skirt and he's her husband. ;) 

  • Upvote 33
Link to post
Share on other sites
bananabread

Joy and Austin are officially my favorite fundie couple. They're so chill, but clearly REALLY enjoying marriage! :pb_lol:

Plus Austin has, like, employable skills??!! And teaches them to Joy??!!!!!!!??!! Unheard of in Duggarville!

  • Upvote 39
Link to post
Share on other sites
OyToTheVey

NIKE!! I feel like that's even less modest than pants and a sweater. That's pretty racy for a fundie couple.

  • Upvote 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
Snarkle Motion
20 hours ago, calimojo said:

I have been a nurse for a million years and worked in several different areas of healthcare.  And, I can tell you that it is fairly common for people to lie or be in denial or perhaps uneducated as to whether they are sexually active.  It happens frequently that a young woman will deny being sexually active only to have them turn up pregnant.  It might be a case of denial, or in some cases, the young woman may be seriously uneducated as to what Sex is especially sexual activity that  can result in a pregnancy.  I thiNk pareNts Must do a better job with prepariNg their kids for what iNfo is asked at doCtor Visits or the ED  (ugh keyBoard is aCting up with Caps)

 

I am a pretty empathetic person, but I guess I am puzzled that questions like this are surprising to anyone.  And yes, we are taught to ask questions in more than one way because sometimes people lie, or sometimes they honestly forget and it takes asking the question in a few different ways to trigger their memory.  I don't mean this just about pregnancy, but health information in general.  I can't tell you how many times I have asked someone if they have high blood pressure and they answer no, but then you look at their list of meds and they are 2 different BP meds.  People forget,  and if they are in pain, or feeling unwell or anxious they lose focus.  Doctors and nurses ask many of the same questions of patients yet often the answers are very different.  People, for a variety of reasons, are not always super reliable, especially when stressed and when scared. 

The art of getting medical information is in how to ask.  You have to read your patient.  Some will do better with a very matter of fact tone and business like attitude, Others respond to humor, and many respond well to warmth and kindness.  But everyone is different.  My husband, just likes straightforward stuff and someone who is in his opinion over the top nice, bugs him   

People are generally known to be poor reporters of medical information for a variety of reasons.

There is a joke that whenever you ask someone how many alcoholic drinks they have in a week - double the response. I worked with college students and part of our education program was to demonstrate how much alcohol is in a standard drink. The looks on their faces was pure shock. We would measure out the equivalent of 1 standard drink of hard alcohol (colored water) and put it a cup to show them. These people were making mixed drinks with the equivalent of 4 or more standard drinks of alcohol and thinking it was only 1-2 drinks. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
MsSaylor

That sounds mildly entertaining. What was the part with Jessa yelling at Ben to try to win and not just try to be funny?  

  • Upvote 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
SuhrEnity
3 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I find the warnings on the food labels hilarious.

I'd love to see warning label he'd put on tater tot casserole

  • Upvote 22
Link to post
Share on other sites
bananabread
5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I find the warnings on the food labels hilarious.

Ben is so freaking quirky, I love it.

  • Upvote 28
Link to post
Share on other sites
BirthingGodsWarriors
17 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

That sounds mildly entertaining. What was the part with Jessa yelling at Ben to try to win and not just try to be funny?  

I think she was getting upset that he wasn't really going with their rehearsed answers. It felt like she was trying to give him a hint about sticking to the plan.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fluffy14

I am on the West Coast  . What time is this playing where ever it is playing? It's 11:21 here!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Curious locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      I bet no fundy mom every got such a touching Mother's Day tribute...

      Wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Mother's Day...and some extra love to others out there missing their mom's today, too.
       
      · 0 replies
    • Jasmar

      Jasmar

      My uncle just died from COVID. He wasn’t that much older than I am, so I kind of grew up with him. Just ten days ago my mom had been pleading with him to get vaccinated, but he wanted to wait to make sure the shots were really safe. I’m kind of devastated.
      · 4 replies
    • PumaLover

      PumaLover

      I just found out my little bonus kid is in a treatment center on a suicide watch tonight. He and I share a hobby and a couple weeks back he opened up to me that he's severely depressed and was wanting to hurt himself. I let his parents know and thankfully he had also been talking to them. I'm just heartbroken because him being in this center means that his parents had to call 911 and have him admitted and I know that was so hard for them to do. He's a young kid and has his whole life ahead of him but just wants to end it all and I don't know how to help him. 
      · 5 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      Middle aged woman with mommy issues...but missing her today.
      She got so much wrong with me, but she had the best intentions and tried so hard. 
      She got so much right, too.  I forget that sometimes.  Sometimes I remember and dismiss it out of spite.  
      “They did the best they could with the tools they had.”  I forgot where I first heard that but I’ve carried it with me like a mantra since my parents passed.   They truly did.  Whatever else was missing, whatever I needed that they couldn’t give, the love was always there.  

      Always. 
      That’s something.
      My confidence in my own abilities.  Faith in my own power.  My own strength.  They gave me that, too.
      That’s also something.  
      They’re why I’m messed up, but they’re also why I’m okay.  
       
      Shit’s complicated.
      She died before I figured out how smart she really was.  Sad thing is I don’t think ever figured that out for herself.  
      Ignore me - just crying in my car waiting to pick up my son.  

       
       
      · 1 reply
    • CuttySark

      CuttySark

      The nice thing about posting about Jewish history is how quickly it flushes out the antisemites. 😘
      · 2 replies
    • choralcrusader8613

      choralcrusader8613

      I've been feeling a shitload of this for a while now about various types of Christians tbh.

      · 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      It's Friday so yay!  But sweet Jesus I need it to be the end of the day already.  Crappy week and I'm so ready for it to be over.

      · 0 replies
    • nst

      nst

      I got vaccinated yesterday. In the am I got the email and I was  vaccinated 
      · 0 replies
    • PsyD2013

      PsyD2013

      Exhausted. I need a weekend off the grid.
       
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      This will make the internetz explode. 
      · 1 reply
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.