IGNORED

I'm not perfect with Grammar but

homeschoolmomma1

Most homeschoolers I know say that(we do as well). If you are on the phone you might say "did you do school yet?" or the kids will say "I already did school for today". That is the common phrase used. I guess its like "make groceries" in the south.

I hate to have to side with the Duggars but in this case, they're just using normal homeschool lingo. We say things like, "We're doing school right now."

haha wrong on purpose... so glad you caught it ;)

Oh, whew! Here I was thinking it was an accident and I was biting my tongue so hard... never occurred to me that you'd done it on purpose!

(And I have seen hs'ers who can't spell grammar.)

How does one "make groceries"?

(Note: I am originally from just south of Canada, center. We "put some gas on". Every place has their weird little phrases.)

Guest Anonymous

Never heard of "make groceries" but then again i'm not from the south. But it reminds me of an old episode of Jon and Kate plus 8 when they were packing the trailer to head to disneyworld and Kate told Jon to put something in the "way back". She was talking about the trailer. Why didn't she just say "trailer"?

Kate Gosselin is an idiot. That is why she did not just say trailer. I had to stop watching because I was getting aneurysms from her habit of misusing language. Well, that and the child abuse. =)

Never heard of "make groceries" but then again i'm not from the south. But it reminds me of an old episode of Jon and Kate plus 8 when they were packing the trailer to head to disneyworld and Kate told Jon to put something in the "way back". She was talking about the trailer. Why didn't she just say "trailer"?

That reminds me of our old celebrity station wagon and sitting in the "way back" (the seats that faced backward). Of course, I was 5.

When I was a kid my parents always had station wagons, but not the kind with the rear facing seat. We called the rear part of the car the "way back"-something I had not thought of for years, until I read the comment about what Kate said. Perhaps her family also had station wagons.

I say I'm "fixing to" do an activity. Or I "fix" supper.

Soft drinks are universally called "cokes" here, as in the way a sprite, pepsi, dr. pepper are all called "pop" in some places, even if you aren't ordering coke. Although I tend to use the word soda, it is apparently enough to get me a strange look occasionally in my corner of the world. LOL.

I wasn't homeschooled but I've take a few online classes and a correspondence course and my mom has often asked me I've "done school" yet.

There are others, but I speak "Hollywood/newscaster" so they sound normal to me, because I hear them from everyone else, but I can't do them because Texan-ese makes me cringe. So I can't right off the bat think of them.

"Love on" sounds weird to me. How can you love on something? :|

Edit: Wait, I'm sure I can figure out how people 'love on' things... :shock: But it sounds strange in the context of "Oh we'll just keep loving on Josie...", etc...

too funny, that's actually something I say and always have to my kids and before them it was something like I'm going to love on the animals or beat them or maul them or something.

Re-reading what I write though, yeah, sounds a little strange.

Similarly, how can you 'believe on' Jesus Christ? I saw it first on Zsuzsanna's blog and thought she had translated literally from 'glauben an' in German.

Kate Gosselin is an idiot. That is why she did not just say trailer. I had to stop watching because I was getting aneurysms from her habit of misusing language. Well, that and the child abuse. =)

agreeance....I could scream every.single.time she says that. No Kate. No one is in "agreeance" with you, you idiot.

Make groceries and love on were both used by the locals I worked with when I lived in Louisiana. I had no idea what they were taking about for a while. There were some more I can't remember, but I remember coming home and telling my husband I have no idea what they are talking about half the time. Once I was there a few months I understood, but as a northerner coming into a pretty rural Louisiana town it was culture shock.

Similarly, how can you 'believe on' Jesus Christ? I saw it first on Zsuzsanna's blog and thought she had translated literally from 'glauben an' in German.

"Believe on" vs. "believe in" depends on which Bible translation you read. Not surprisingly, the KJV uses "believe on". See for instance Acts 16:31. (Here in a bunch of versions: http://scripturetext.com/acts/16-31.htm)

I vaguely remember hearing sermons in my youth that tried to make a theological point out of the difference... like, since it says somewhere else that even the demons believe "in" Jesus, it isn't enough just to believe "in" him, i.e. that he is the Son of God etc. but that you also have to stake your eternal welfare and whatnot "ON" him as your foundation or something like that. This is a silly semantic distinction, since the difference is a translation issue. The Greek preposition used there can be translated "in " or "on" or any number of other things depending on the syntactical context.

"Love on" sounds weird to me. How can you love on something? :|

Edit: Wait, I'm sure I can figure out how people 'love on' things... :shock: But it sounds strange in the context of "Oh we'll just keep loving on Josie...", etc...

For some reason "love on" is the most revolting of all the fundie and fundie lite phrases. And when said with a velvety, male southern accent (normally love southern accents, it's just in this circumstance where the phrase seems to be used more) I want to scream! For once I wish they'd just "hate on" someone. LOL.

"love on" is not a fundie phrase. It's a Southern phrase. It means to hug and dote and tend and care. It basically means hugs and caresses. Here it is in context, "Hand me that baby and let me love on it a little bit." That's what you say when you want to hold your cousin's baby for the first time. I'd definitely say it if I were able to be that close to Josie.

We do say "hate on", too, but not near as much as "love on".

"Love on" is similar to "hug your neck". It always means smiles and hugs and laughter to me. "Come here and let me hug your neck!"

And here everyone thinks I'm weird because I call a TV remote a "switch." As in, "Where's the switch?" "Hand me the switch," etc. Although one of the girls who looked at me like I was from Mars for that called it a "clickie," so... :think:

And here everyone thinks I'm weird because I call a TV remote a "switch." As in, "Where's the switch?" "Hand me the switch," etc. Although one of the girls who looked at me like I was from Mars for that called it a "clickie," so... :think:

I've heard "clicker." Though I think I've heard "switch" too, come to think of it.

In my current English environment of marriage it's "the remote" but I grew up calling it "rimokon" sounding like "LEEmokon" from a "Japanese English" abbreviation of "remote control." Thing is with so many of those loan words that aren't quite loan words, I just assumed they were normal English until I used them with English-only people and got the "huh????' response :P

I wish someone could change the subject line to spell grammar correctly. Every time I see it I cringe.

Nell

If you asked me to hand you a switch I would wonder who you were going to spank with it. I was raised not even the least bit Pearlesque either. But a switch (or at least one that can be handed to someone) is a spanking implement in my neck of the woods.

Archived