IGNORED

A&E scraps KKK series after learning of cash payments

47of74

A&E has decided not to go ahead with a TV series on the KKK;

wbay.com/ap/ae-scraps-kkk-series-after-learning-of-cash-payments/

The network said Saturday it was dropping “Escaping the KKK: A Documentary Series Exposing Hate in America” a day after discovering that “nominal” cash payments were given by third-party producers.

“Escaping the KKK” was to follow people trying to extract themselves from the racist and anti-Semitic hate group. The network had promised that no payments would be made.

“We had previously provided assurances to the public and to our core partners — including the Anti-Defamation League and Color of Change — that no payment was made to hate group members, and we believed that to be the case at the time,” the network said. “We have now decided not to move forward with airing this project.”

The project triggered wide criticism as soon as it was announced earlier this month. The network, which originally titled the series “Generation KKK,” changed the name and enlisted civil rights groups to collaborate on in-show educational content after getting heat for allowing the KKK’s hate speech to be aired.

Bad idea. Very bad idea. Even without this discovery. Documentary Series? I don't think so. It's a damn reality show about one of America's most vile organizations. No, just no.

I don't remember where or who posted it (on social media) but I did see a call for boycotting A&E due to this series.  Glad to see this one was yanked.  

On 12/24/2016 at 6:58 PM, clueliss said:

I don't remember where or who posted it (on social media) but I did see a call for boycotting A&E due to this series.  Glad to see this one was yanked.  

well it sure was not 1 million moms.

On 12/24/2016 at 4:45 PM, RosyDaisy said:

Documentary Series? I don't think so. It's a damn reality show

That was my thought, too. I know many productions are blurring the line between a reality show and a documentary now, but this definitely sounded like the former (especially with its original title).

Archived