IGNORED

Bourbon Balls

PennySycamore

For years, I've used the bourbon ball recipe in Partytime in Kentucky, a wedding present from my aunt and uncle.   The book has gone missing so for the last couple of years I've needed to seek out another recipe.  I'd found the bottle of Wild Turkey so I decided to make the recipe in an old  Martha Stewart cookbook. So I ground the vanilla wafers in the food processor, then the nuts, dumped that into a bowl and spun the cocoa and powdered sugar.  Then I added the wet ingredients.  The recipe printed in the MS cookbook called for 2/3 cup of bourbon and 2 tablespoons of corn syrup.  The dough was way too wet!  I'm supposed to roll this wet mess into balls?  I did try dropping the "balls" into powdered sugar.  They're still too soft to eat.  After all this was over, I looked into my mom's ancient Good Housekeeping Cookbook and found a recipe for bourbon balls that called for only 1/4 cup of bourbon!   I used almost three times as much bourbon as I should have.  I wish I'd tried baking the batter instead.  It could hardly have been worse.   The batter was yummy though.

I changed the recipe in the Martha Stewart cookbook to read 1/4 cup of bourbon.  I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Update on the bourbon balls that didn't turn out so well:

I decided last night to try baking them before throwing them out.  It worked OK.  They don't look great as they're misshapen, but they taste fine.  Regular bourbon balls are better though.  

These sound amazing. I've never heard of them but have found a recipe that mimics the one you talk about.  I'm making these soon. 

Archived