IGNORED

East Tennessee Wildfires- Dollywood Evacuated

Bethella

There are major wildfires in eastern Tennessee including Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. They should currently be receiving rain but they are in drought conditions. The fires are moving quickly and lots of people have been evacuated. Some family friends got out safely but are fairly certain their house is gone. As of midnight local time there were reportedly 30 structures on fire in Gatlinburg and the fires were on the edge of the Dollywood property. I don't know if we have any FJs in the area but prayers for everyone affected.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/gatlinburg-neighborhood-voluntarily-evacuating-due-to-fire/357115866

One on my best friends lives in the area and is giving me updates. She has told me historical sites, cabins in the great smoky mountains are destroyed, many homes and business are gone. It truly is a devastating situation. My thoughts and prayers are going everyone effected by these wildfires. She also said that many of the fires were started by arsonists. I really hope that part isn't true

13 minutes ago, Diggingupdirt said:

She also said that many of the fires were started by arsonists. I really hope that part isn't true

My friends were hearing that it was a stray cigarette but the article I linked to above says the cause is unknown and authorities are asking for information on how the fires started.

This is heartbreaking for many reasons - one of the biggest for me is the destruction happening to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park -- one of my favorite places in the world.

9 hours ago, Diggingupdirt said:

She also said that many of the fires were started by arsonists. I really hope that part isn't true

I'm heartbroken about this; I have friends in the area and I left my heart in Tennessee. 

As far as arson goes...I hate to say I wouldn't be surprised if it were started by an arsonist. I've seen at least one article saying it was suspected. There's been a serial arsonist across Appalachia this summer. I know that where my parents and their friends stay for the summer, an arsonist had set a bunch of fires and they were all frightened to go certain places in case they got stuck down a rural road. So at this point, it wouldn't really surprise me either way. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-suspect-arson-wildfires-spread-across-south-n683296

I've tried to research this and haven't found an answer. Is the Cades Cove area of Smokey Mountains National Park still standing? My family visited there three times when I was growing up and I have fond memories of the area.

Thoughts and prayers to all who live in the area and the firefighters.

@Audrey2, i found this link just now regarding Cades Cove; it was posted late yesterday.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/11/fires-and-out-great-smoky-mountains-national-park-lead-great-damage-gatlinburg

Quote from the article, bolding mine:

Inside the park, all facilities were closed due to "extensive fire activity and downed trees." Park headquarters was without electricity and phone service. While Cades Cove remained open, visitors were advised to "come in through Townsend. Still best to visit the North Carolina side of the park." Park staff also were checking on the status of historic buildings. A better assessment of damage was expected late Tuesday afternoon.

I love Dolly Parton's attitude of "these are my people and I look out for my people." News says she or her charity will pay families affected by the fires $1,000 a month for 6 months. Insurance doesn't pay for everything & not everyone has insurance. Such a devastating situation. Those poor people!

2 hours ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

I love Dolly Parton's attitude of "these are my people and I look out for my people." News says she or her charity will pay families affected by the fires $1,000 a month for 6 months. Insurance doesn't pay for everything & not everyone has insurance. Such a devastating situation. Those poor people!

Dolly has never forgotten where she came from and how very poor they were when she was growing up.  

I saw this on FB - pretty  sure the fires are not partisan.

People died.  Homes were lost.

1a.jpg

Archived