IGNORED

Indiana DOT employee gets blowback for nasty email from .gov account

47of74

A probably soon to be former Indiana DOT manager is in some hot water now.

chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-indiana-government-worker-email-charles-blow-20160922-htmlstory.html

An Indiana Department of Transportation manager learned the hard way that when sending a nasty email to a New York Times columnist, don't send it from your official account.

David Brewer, whose email says he's a "manager of external audit" at the department, emailed Times columnist Charles Blow, presumably in response to something Blow had written.

Brewer critiqued the writer's grasp of the English language, called him "ignorant" and added a joke about cocaine and Blow's surname. It was unclear which column Brewer was unhappy with.

Blow shared the email on Facebook and on Twitter on Thursday, tagging the Indiana agency and asking if maybe Brewer should be working during office hours.

facepalm.gif

Uh, yeah.  If you're going to send a nasty political email don't do it from your work account.  Especially if the address ends in .gov.

Well, yikes. Allllll around. Common sense doesn't seem to abound in this situation.

A couple extra things I thought while reading:
•From a PR perspective, the DOT could've had a much, much better response than to repost the original email on their own Facebook. Geez. Way to pick up the poop and fling it on yourself.
•Then for Blow to say "don't come for me unless I send for you"? You're a reporter. Sorry, but opinions, no matter how mean, are going to happen. He may have won in this case because the dissenter made a dumb mistake, but I do think he should reel that line back in before he hooks a fish he can't handle.

Archived