IGNORED

Judge who asked rape victim why she couldn't keep knees together may be removed from bench.

47of74

I hope this guy loses his job;

cnn.com/2016/09/12/world/robin-camp-rape-comments-trnd/index.html

A judge in Canada is facing removal from the bench for his conduct when he asked a woman in a rape case why she couldn't "just keep [her] knees together."

Federal Court Judge Robin Camp is in the midst of a week-long judicial council hearing, which will determine whether he ought to be booted from his position.

The case in question took place in 2014 when Camp was a provincial court judge. (He became a Federal Judge last year.)

The 19-year-old woman said she was raped over a bathroom sink during a house party.

And what might you ask happened to the accused?  Big surprise, he was acquitted by this same judge.  And the judge is trying out a horseshit excuse about how he didn't have any training.  Fuck.  Even before I went into law school four weeks ago I knew better than he did about asking rape victims such things.

When it happened to me I didn't keep my knees together because I was kicking, screaming, and fighting. I'm sorry I didn't fight harder, Your Honor.

I hope someone finds the book at throws it at this judge. 

Just as sick is what he told the accused rapist that he acquitted. This sort of rhetoric is so toxic both to women and to men: 

"I want you to tell your friends, your male friends, that they have to be far more gentle with women. They have to be far more patient. And they have to be very careful. To protect themselves, they have to be very careful."

Hopefully this judge will be removed ASAP and the victim will have the opportunity to bring their case before another judge who will examine the case fairly and treat it with the gravity the situation demands. 

I can't fathom why it is considered appropriate to victim-blame rape/sexual assault survivors. No one would think that a victim of a robbery was "asking for it" by having a big screen TV in front of a curtain-less window that might tempt thieves, so why are sexually-based crimes any different?

1 hour ago, Khan said:

I hope someone finds the book at throws it at this judge. 

They should throw all 223 volumes of the Canadian Encyclopedic Digest (the Canadian version of Am. Jur or the Corpus Juris Secundum) at this judge. 

Just when you think people can't get any more stupid & infuriating, a judge has to open his mouth. This shows it is not just the USA that has rape culture. Sad.

Archived