IGNORED

Pest Problems

Geechee Girl

I'm gardening organically, and need help with pest control. It seems I have a spider mite infestation which devoured my basil and rosemary. How do I get rid of these critters? I've tried ladybugs, neem oil, and a non-toxic 3-in-1 miticide. I'm at a loss. Help!

At least for lice, green bolt soap mixed with baking soda and technical spirits (rødsprit in norwegian, don't know the english equivalent) might be effective. Googling spider mites and baking soda led to a lot of hits, maybe you can get some ideas? :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Pest problems....oh wait, you were talking about bugs and the like.  I thought you were talking about me. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

My mom has small holes all over her suburban lawn. Neighbors told her it was rabbits. (I think rats are more likely.) Anyway, on the neighbors advice she went out and bought coyote pee, which is without a doubt the most disgusting thing EVER, and sprayed it all over the lawn. Now the lawn reeks of pee! It’ll all wash away in the rain tonight anyway, but seriously, is this a thing to get rid of rodents? Will it work? Omg PEE! EW! This is worse than manure. The *smell*.....

28 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

seriously, is this a thing to get rid of rodents? Will it work? Omg PEE! EW! This is worse than manure. The *smell*.....

I have heard of human pee to keep away deer (?), but coyote pee is a new one to me.  I haven't seen it anywhere (but didn't know to look, lol).  Speaking of manure smell...  I bought a new brand of potting soil and couldn't figure out where a horrible stench of manure was coming from in the neighborhood.  Turns out, it's my own potted plants on the window sill!  Yes, I am enclosed in my house with manure-scented seedlings.  Quick, grow faster so I can get you outdoors!  Sigh. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

My mom has small holes all over her suburban lawn. Neighbors told her it was rabbits. (I think rats are more likely.) Anyway, on the neighbors advice she went out and bought coyote pee, which is without a doubt the most disgusting thing EVER, and sprayed it all over the lawn. Now the lawn reeks of pee! It’ll all wash away in the rain tonight anyway, but seriously, is this a thing to get rid of rodents? Will it work? Omg PEE! EW! This is worse than manure. The *smell*.....

I worked my way through college in a small-town hardware store (the type where you go in with your broken lamp and we find all the bits and send you on your way.  That has a left handed wing-nut in stainless--but you as the customer will never find it [but don't worry, I know where it is! and if you don't know the words for it, we'll still find it!]).
One of the employees cut open a case of coyote pee and cut the bottles.
OMG, we stood outside the store, greeted people in the parking lot, and held our breath while w ran in to get things for an entire day.

It is vile.  People used it and swore by it though.

• Upvote 1