IGNORED

Foundation recommendations??

louisa05

I've been using Dior foundations for about seven years. I love that they last all day, but the ones that have worked for me coverage and color wise are so matte and I feel like my skin looks so dull. 

So...I'm looking for something new. I need pretty good coverage and I would like staying power, but something more illuminating. Obviously, I've been paying for Dior, so anything not higher than that price range is okay with me (it is $48 a bottle--but I don 't have to use much). 

I read good and bad reviews of Nars All Day Luminous foundations, so I would also like anyone's personal review of that, if there is anyone here who has used it .

I used Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Fiji and really liked it (I know you were mentioning the All Day one, but just in case) I went to Sephora to do that skin tone matching and it was on my list of matches. I love trying new foundations so I usually move on to others, but that one was really perfect with my skin tone. It blended well and gave me more coverage than I expected.

I went back to a different Sephora several months ago to do the skin matching again. This time I got a slightly different result and went with the NARS product it said matched my skin tone - the Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska. I hated it, the shade doesn't match well at all. 

• 3 months later...
On May 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Suz8710 said:

I used Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Fiji and really liked it (I know you were mentioning the All Day one, but just in case) I went to Sephora to do that skin tone matching and it was on my list of matches. I love trying new foundations so I usually move on to others, but that one was really perfect with my skin tone. It blended well and gave me more coverage than I expected.

I went back to a different Sephora several months ago to do the skin matching again. This time I got a slightly different result and went with the NARS product it said matched my skin tone - the Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska. I hated it, the shade doesn't match well at all. 

That's the problem. Finding someone good at matching skin tones. Ideally, you can step outside into the natural light to see how it looks. 

I have really pale skin and searching for moisturizer has been a struggle for a long time.  Prescirptives was great for those of us had difficult asking tones.  I was matched to Camellia, but switched to Custom-Blend when it became available.  (Think I started using Custom-Blend powder first.)  After there stopped being Prescriptives counters at Macy's, etc, I started using Estee Lauder Day Wear Plus in Cool Bone and Lucidity powder in Transparent.  Last year, Estee Lauder stopped making Lucidity and the "replacement" was Perfectionist.  (Reviews on the EL website for Perfectionist powder are scathing!)  The lightest shade was way too dark and so I switched foundations.  (Figured I might as well since I had to switch out my powder.   I went to the Lancome counter in my local Macy's and found my old Prescriptives consultant working there.  Unfortunately,  the other sales person did my foundation matching and matched me to Buff in Teint Idole which I think is a shade too dark.  I like the foundation just fine, but it needs to be in the right shade which would either be Ivoire N(90) or Ivoire C (110).  

I did try a sample of Chanel foundation in Vitalumiere Aqua.  I loved it.  If you don't need a ton of coverage, then you might like this.  It's $48 and has a radiant finish.  My complexion was glowing when I wore it.

I've thought a lot about Nars since they have shades that are pale enough.  Figured I was either Siberia or Mont Blanc in their All Day Luminous.

I need to try the foundation matching at Sephora sometime, but I want to do it when I'm not anywhere near out of my usual foundation, just in case they screw up.

Btw, Prescriptives was resurrected by the Estee Lauder company, but it's all online.  They even have Custom-Blend foundation and powder and if they screw it up, they'll fix it at their expense.

@louisa05,

Nothing like seeing you previous post and noticing all the mistakes in it.

Anyway,  I was at the Lancome counter yesterday and was reminded that Estee Lauder and Lancome both offer generous samples of their foundations.  Other counters almost certainly do the same.  If you can, see if you can't get a sample of the Nars foundation.  Trying it out IRL is much better that having it swiped on you face in the store.

As an aside,  it was bonus time at the Lancome counter and they were out of one of the moisturizer samples.  I'd wanted Absolue which is great for mature skin, but the consultant put a sample of their new Energie de Vie which is supposed to make your skin glow.  I said my skin had probably not glowed for 61 years. but, damn, if this moisturizer does't make my skin radiant!

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled for years to find a good foundation, but I tried Urban Decay's Naked and it's amazing. Goes so far, I don't break out, and I don't look caked over or get dried out. Absolutely worth the money IMO. 

Archived