IGNORED

Marriage = contract between groom and father

Witsec1

This letter was on Ophelia Benson's Butterflies and Wheels blog. She has been doing a series on Dominionism.

A woman has no right to choose a husband, marriage is an unbreakable agreement between a man and the bride's father. Also, mutual foot-washing is part of foreplay on the wedding night. Fun!

This is the link to the blog, not breaking it 'cause I assume she won't care: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... t-washing/

And here's the letter:

aVn40.jpg

I think it's funny that he refers readers to a book by someone named "Beard."

And I love this bit of feedback:

This relationship between Christ and the Church – this is presumably subsequent to his death by crucifixion and subsequent resurrection. If that’s the case, let the men in these marriages start off by emulating that bit. Once they’ve been resurrected, there’ll be something to discuss.

Ok, soooo:

1.Marriage = contract between groom and FIL.

2. Marriage for women is totally the same thing as salvation.

3. Vows are bad, because Jesus said.

4. So instead, we will initiate sexy time by private bible reading and foot washing.

5. Thus, the "symbolic ceremony" AKA wedding isn't really a wedding because they've already done that.

6. You can buy a book in the lobby to learn more.

So - basically, the only difference between this super-special, "biblical" wedding and a normal wedding between people who have slept together before the wedding is that Daddy gave the approval for the groom to have sex with the bride????? That's beyond inappropriate. Wow.

RE: "the state's recent confusion in "marrying" same-sex couples engaged in the sin of sodomy"

Question- Do Lesbians fall under the sin of sodomy? I guess, under this argument it would be OK for two women to marry each other, because they are lacking in the penis department. Not that I'm saying that Lesbians can't enjoy a nice bout of sodomy from time to time, just that it generally entails adding some props to the bedroom.

Omg, how did I miss the part about his clothing??? Groomsmen represent the armies of heaven????? He's wearing red to represent Jesus??? Dude has a serious ego, there.

RE: "the state's recent confusion in "marrying" same-sex couples engaged in the sin of sodomy"

Question- Do Lesbians fall under the sin of sodomy? I guess, under this argument it would be OK for two women to marry each other, because they are lacking in the penis department. Not that I'm saying that Lesbians can't enjoy a nice bout of sodomy from time to time, just that it generally entails adding some props to the bedroom.

The Bible, Torah, Qur'an say absolutely nothing about lesbianism. It's all 'if a man lies with another man it is an abomination' etc.

The Bible doesn't have as many laws that are addressed directly to women, because it was understood that they would be expected to obey their fathers and husbands, who would surely not approve of lesbianism (or at the least would just ignore it and force her to marry a man anyway). During those times, making a long list of rules for women would seem as silly as making a long list of rules for your pet dog or your cattle. The biggest emphasis for both women and slaves is to just obey their owner.

Also, lesbian relationships don't threaten the Patriarchy in the same way that gay male relationships do, because it doesn't put a man in the horrible, demeaning role of "woman" within the Patriarchy.

He selected her and took her himself? That sounds like a recipe for rape.

It worked fine in the Iron and Bronze ages so. . . what's the problem? :twisted:

**** and I have had an unusual union. We have abandoned many of the standards for marriage in American culture. . .

What's with the "we" in this quote? It sounds like the wife really didn't have any choice at all in the matter.

I think the groom should marry the farther. that will take care of these lame issues. People we don't live in biblical times people have changed we don't like in the middle east get over it.

What's with the "we" in this quote? It sounds like the wife really didn't have any choice at all in the matter.

The 'we' could be him and the FIL.

Jesus Mary Joseph and all the saints in heaven. My husband didn't ask my stepfather for my hand. It wasn't his to give. My mom was just glad to get me married.

So what happens if there is no father and the next available male is 12? The contract's between him and the kid?

What hogwash as my dear Mom would say.

Was this an insert in the church-wedding program? Seems like apologetics in regards to the fact that the bride will be in the maternity ward in 3 months.....

This is messed up even for fundies. This sounds even more extreme than most, or are these people being more honest about the whole thing? Thoughts? (Excuse me while I go... I'm so angry I can't even find the vomiting smiley.... Forget it).

http://www.politicususa.com/en/new-trend-quiverfull-courtship

A friend posted this on FB---and this is even scarier than regular old "we know each other for 3 months now let's get married with your dad's permission" courtship. Women apparently are too stupid to choose their husbands for themselves so her daddy and the guy have to come to an agreement, then voila, she's engaged to be married! She doesn't get the chance to turn down a proposal because apparently that's not allowed anymore because OMG that's feminist!!11!

Okay. So I'm a little pissed off at this.

Have you heard of this before?

It makes me want to shout 'wake up, wake up!' to the mothers who are allowing this to happen to their daughters (and sons, of course, but it does sound like the boys/men have more control over their destinies). I know they may have been raised the same way and so it is normalised to them, but becoming a mother changed me. The shit I would put up with for myself I would not accept for my children.

Archived