IGNORED

Outspoken Lutheran Theologian Ousted

Black Aliss

When I was a [fundie] kid the Lutheran church was considered pretty liberal. Liberal enough, at any rate, that us AoG and Baptist kids were not allowed to date Lutherans.Now it seems the Missouri Synod at least has taken a definite swing to the right, to the point where a professor of theology at an independent Lutheran school, Valparaiso University in Indiana, was excommunicated recently.

Becker had raised questions about the denomination’s stance against the ordination of women, as well as its teaching of creationism, or the literal reading of the story of creation in the book of Genesis.

sojo.net/articles/outspoken-theologian-ousted-lutheran-church-missouri-synod

When I was a [fundie] kid the Lutheran church was considered pretty liberal. Liberal enough, at any rate, that us AoG and Baptist kids were not allowed to date Lutherans.Now it seems the Missouri Synod at least has taken a definite swing to the right, to the point where a professor of theology at an independent Lutheran school, Valparaiso University in Indiana, was excommunicated recently.

The Missouri Synod Lutherans have always been fundy-conservative. They are not to be confused with the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) which is much more mainstream.

Yes, it's not surprising news. The LCMS sticks by its beliefs, and I can't fault them for that. A salaried person with benefits and a pension in the LCMS's Concordia Plan (the pension/benefits arm) has to decide whether his/her disagreements with Synod dogma are problematic enough to get themselves sacked. Prof. Becker said he pursued a career in LCMS hoping he could change it from the inside. I feel sorry for him getting sacked at his age, but honestly, there are other Lutheran church bodies in which he could've prospered.

A nice Disciples of Christ pastor once asked me if I had a church home. I told her I was Lutheran though I wasn't in total alignment. She kindly said, "Ah, stay and effect change from the inside!" approvingly. I couldn't bear to tell her that I stay because it's too late to distress the remaining believers in my family (which is already decimated by early deaths). I'm less involved and committed than ever, but it's a touchstone, a connection to times and people past.

But enough about me. I hope Prof. Becker lands on his feet financially and bet he will - Valpo has been "Lutheran" only when it came time to touch Lurheran alums for donations, for several decades. I bet VU will take care of him.

The LCMS is much like Orthodox Judaism: it's not going to change on matters it holds to be non-negotiable. Prof. Becker knew that. Bless him, and I mean that sincerely.

Valparaiso University definitely has some Missouri Synod influence in the overall running of the school and the theology department. With the perspective of a current student, I feel that the university far more cares about its bottom line rather than listening to the more conservative synod higher ups complain about church issues. Valpo University has been pushing for expansions in the health career majors as well as upping the presence of the law and engineering schools. They are very good at maintaining the conservative act in paper. Exceptions being when the NCAA is around or tuition is due.

The Missouri Synod Lutherans have always been fundy-conservative. They are not to be confused with the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) which is much more mainstream.

Missouri Synod is SO different from other strains of Lutheran. They do warn us all, with "Missouri" in the name, but it's always shocking just how conservative they are. Women preaching, LBGT+ people having rights -- all quite problematic for the Missouri Synod. This is the same group that apologized after Sandy Hook because they'd prayed with other denominations and got scolded for it. We all know there is only ONE path to heaven (which TOTALLY exists, no debate whatsoever!), :roll: so a hard-line stance in the face of such tragedy totally makes sense, right?

OT, but I can't read anything about the Missouri Synod without thinking of Cheers:

[bBvideo 500,280:3ukqjsdw]

[/bBvideo]

I've heard people refer to the Missouri Synod as the Misery Synod. :lol: This is, of course, the denomination that Cabinetman is a part of.

I've heard people refer to the Missouri Synod as the Misery Synod. :lol: This is, of course, the denomination that Cabinetman is a part of.

Mr. No is ex-LCMS and he would concur. It was more liberal back when he was a kid but there were series of shifts that turned it more conservative.

There are ELCA Lutherans (I am ELCA) and we are liberal. Then there are LCMS and they are conservative and then there ware Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and they are just nuts. When I lived in the low country (SC), there was a plan to have women from various churches to get together to pray, talk, etc. (Basically a huge coffee klatch). The pastor told our Lay Ministries Coordinator that non of his women would attend. They knew better than to go where other women were leading women in prayer. They are NUTS.

I"m not fund of LCMS either.

Archived