IGNORED

Jimmy Carter Says Jesus Would Approve Of Gay Marriage

Toothfairy

Faith is important to former President Jimmy Carter, and he writes about it extensively in his new memoir A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety. But his religious beliefs don't keep him from supporting every American's right to marry the person they love.

HuffPost Live's Marc Lamont Hill asked Carter on Tuesday whether he believes Jesus would approve of gay marriage, and Carter said he does.

"I believe Jesus would. I don't have any verse in scripture. ... I believe Jesus would approve gay marriage, but that's just my own personal belief. I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest and sincere and was not damaging to anyone else, and I don't see that gay marriage damages anyone else," he said

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7744390

So a 90 year old man has more compassion and sense than someone three times younger than him.

I'm 27, so Jimmy Carter is quite before my time, but I've loved him for a few years. I think he is the cutest, sweetest old man. Him saying this makes me love him even more!

He's always had his heart in the right place, unlike so many of his generation.

I agree, I was almost a year old when he was elected President, and this shows that while he might have had a single term in office, he's still a great man. I wish more in his generation were like him, then there wouldn't be as much of a struggle for equality.

He's the first president I remember and I've always liked him. Now I like him even more!

I was privileged to meet him in the summer of 1974 at a reception honoring women's suffrage in the Governor's mansion in Atlanta. Somehow I knew then I'd met a great soul.

This atheist would love to go to his church in Plains when he's teaching Sunday school.

Carter was and is highly underrated.

I was born during Carter's White House years. I believe that he and Rosalyn have impacted humanity in their post-White House years more than any other elected official. Habitat for Humanity ALONE has been a blessing for millions and a great opportunity for millions more to become involved in volunteerism in their own communities.

So his comments that Jesus would approve of gay marriage don't really surprise me at all - it's just the kind of practical Christian he is. But it certainly makes me smile and reinforces my opinion that he is a wonderful humanitarian with a heart of gold. God I wish he had a grandson my age who was available and espoused Granddaddy's views :wink-kitty:

First president I was old enough to vote for (in 1980) and I helped with his re-election campaign. Truly a good person, and when I think of how the repugs have maligned him unfairly, it makes me hate them even more. 'Guess I'm NOT a good person.

I would love to meet him one day. My mom & other family members campaigned for him. They said he was honest to a fault, and never hesitated to call out wrongdoings. My favorite speech of his was from 1974, before I was born. It was the from Law Day in GA. In it, he puts er'ybody and they mama on blast! Lawyers, judges, lobbyists, and institutional discrimination were in his crosshairs. I suspect he made many an enemy that day. Y'all can listen to the speech, or read the transcript: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... ay1974.htm

Archived