IGNORED

Immodesty MAKES men objectify you! Science says so!!!!1!

JaChelle Sugar

There's this video making the rounds on fundagelical social media about the evolution of the swimsuit. Jessica Rey shills her clothing line gives a TED talk about scientifical finding's about what goes on in a man's brain in response to differing amounts of female skin, and how we women should buy her stuff dress modestly.

According to 'scientific studies' when he sees women who aren't dressed to the requirements of the unofficial dress code of his specific brand of Christianity 'scantily clad' women' really honestly does shut down men's higher reasoning and forces them to see women as objects (except after marriage, to his own wife, I guess?) but women who are dressing in accordance to the unofficial dress code of his specific brand of Christianity dressing modestly bore his penis make his brain see those women as people.

She dresses it up in scientifical talk but at the end she pulls out some old standby verses and shills her company. Yep, that right there is real objective science talking, not purity culture with a commercial agenda nosirree!

youtube.com/watch?v=WJVHRJbgLz8

Some of my fun die light friends have shared this before (complete with some preachy comments from their friends, like "After I saw this, I went out and bought a one-piece!" or "Christian women need to be aware of the temptation they can cause in men!" I rolled my eyes so hard I got a headache.

And a few days later I changed my profile pic to one of me on the beach in a two-piece. Sorry fundies, I'm not going to be shamed! *insert evil smiley here*

I saw this making rounds as well and have to admit, I didn't bother to watch the video. I just went and judged her swimwear collection and then said to myself, LIBERATION... and where is my bikini!......lol

I'm not going to watch the video because, frankly, she sounds stupid. I was intrigued about her though, and looked her up.

And dammit, those are really cute swimsuits and now I want one.

:evil: :? :o

I didn't watch the video, but I did view her swimwear collection. It was cuter than the Wholesome Swimwear.

Hmmph, and here I thought that thinking of naked skin as something inherently sexual is what causes objectification.. Then again, I don't have fancy science to back me up.

The swimwear is rather cute tho. Ain't nothing wrong with covering up but if you do it because you feel guilty for "giving a man impure thoughts".. well, yeah, no.

If it's the same TED talk video of Jessica Rey I watched last year (I can't check right now on this device) then she takes the studies about objectification horribly out of context.

This is a good article about the studies and it was written by a (Mormon) social scientist - probably the most thorough article I've read about the (if it's the same one I watched, which I strongly suspect it is) TED talk: www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2013/06/sorry-jessica-rey-that-bikini-neural-imaging-study-says-almost-exactly-the-opposite-of-what-you-thought-it-meant/

Needless to say, although her swimwear is cute, I won't be buying any of it. Because it's been "scientifically proven" that my brain is unwilling to give money to companies that take scientific studies out of context and use those studies to simultaneously shame women and push their own products.

If it's the same TED talk video of Jessica Rey I watched last year (I can't check right now on this device) then she takes the studies about objectification horribly out of context.

This is a good article about the studies and it was written by a (Mormon) social scientist - probably the most thorough article I've read about the (if it's the same one I watched, which I strongly suspect it is) TED talk: http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org ... -it-meant/

Needless to say, although her swimwear is cute, I won't be buying any of it. Because it's been "scientifically proven" that my brain is unwilling to give money to companies that take scientific studies out of context and use those studies to simultaneously shame women and push their own products.

That was a good article. Plus it had a link to this fun survey that measures how sexist/ not sexist you are, both in terms of 'hostile sexism' and 'benevolent sexism'

understandingprejudice.org/asi/

My objection to fundie parents making their kids dress modest isn't because of what it supposedly does to men's brains, I am a man, and for me a cute girl is a cute girls regardless of what she's wearing. I object to it because it stifles self expression so much, and that is a horrible thing to do to adolescent kids.

My objection to fundie parents making their kids dress modest isn't because of what it supposedly does to men's brains, I am a man, and for me a cute girl woman is a cute girls woman regardless of what she's wearing. I object to it because it stifles self expression so much, and that is a horrible thing to do to adolescent kids.

Fixed that for you. :roll:

My objection to fundie parents making their kids dress modest isn't because of what it supposedly does to men's brains, I am a man, and for me a cute girl is a cute girls regardless of what she's wearing. I object to it because it stifles self expression so much, and that is a horrible thing to do to adolescent kids.

Yeah, I think you mean "woman."

Men should not be attracted to girls.

Wear whatever you fricken want to. But stop acting like you have speshul insight the rest of don't.

It doesn't make you more godly, it makes you an asshole.

:nenner:

All I got out of this is that there is a Christian knockoff of TED that is all about promoting Christian stuff. I shouldn't be surprised, and yet...

Jessica Rey, not all men think with their dicks and objectify women who don't dress modestly. Take your faux scientific shit and stick it up your fundie ass.

Speaking of objectifying women both kiddist and stinking louse wife hate Jessica because she's not feminine enough (ie she's Asian, has muscular arms, wears glasses, is an evil working mother) to share a message about feminine modesty. (so I know if you're feeling stronger stomach go read some of the comments section where several people point out that well it's bad for an n Asian person to marry a white man but you can't really blame those people for wanting to marry up. Barrrrrf)

Reclaimbeauty.blogspot.ca/2013/06/modesty-and-beauty.html

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2013/06/more-on-jessica-rey/

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2013/06/jessica-again/

I think fundies and Christians use this whole modesty bullshit because they themselves have horrible bodies and low self esteem. They want everyone around them to suffer.

Speaking of objectifying women both kiddist and stinking louse wife hate Jessica because she's not feminine enough (ie she's Asian, has muscular arms, wears glasses, is an evil working mother) to share a message about feminine modesty. (so I know if you're feeling stronger stomach go read some of the comments section where several people point out that well it's bad for an n Asian person to marry a white man but you can't really blame those people for wanting to marry up. Barrrrrf)

Reclaimbeauty.blogspot.ca/2013/06/modesty-and-beauty.html

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2013/06/more-on-jessica-rey/

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2013/06/jessica-again/

[but Kidist has rightly pointed out Rey’s hefty muscles, which conflict with her femininity message. The other points about testosterone are related to that.]

He is in the background, his ostentatious crucifix obscured by his wife’s overdeveloped biceps.

What the actual fuck?

Her hefty muscles and overdeveloped biceps?!

She's a twig! Her arms are probably about the size of my arms, and my arms are scrawny little things. I have never heard anyone call my biceps overdeveloped. How much muscle is too much on a lady?

Any, it appears.

EDIT: Sorry, I hope this didn't come across as criticizing her arms or anything. I think her arms are great-- they are just great, thin arms.

Archived