IGNORED

evolution is preventing his daughter's becoming vet

doggie

something on the lighter side. was a forrest gump.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... -evolution

A West Virginia man has decided to sue government officials for teaching evolution in schools, saying it is hampering his daughter's dream to become a veterinarian.

Kenneth Smith's lawsuit says that education officials are violating the Constitution and infringing the civil rights of his daughter by "propagating" the "religion" of evolution, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.

“Their actions during the 2014-2015 school year affects my child’s future directly through the state grading system to enter college and the ability to earn economic security and a good job in her chosen veterinarian medical field of work, by being taught a faith base (evolutionary ideology) that just doesn’t exist and has no math to back it,†the lawsuit reportedly said.

Acting as his own lawyer, Smith filed suit at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia on May 12, suing everyone from the state Superintendent to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, the Mail reported.

To quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!" :roll: I don't know this person, but given the what and why of his lawsuit (and having relatives that hold some of the same views), I going to assume that this asshole goes to the doctor, gets a foreign born doctor, and then whines about why white 'Merican men are not becoming doctors. :music-tool:

Thanks doggie!

I really needed a laugh today and this article, and the comments, certainly provided it.

I know a guy who's in vet school now and is an avid creationist. He had to take an evolution course in undergrad and he requested prayers because it was making too much sense to him which must mean the devil is after him. He at least sucked it up and got through the course, though. (And once he was no longer studying evolution he stopped doubting that it was false, so that was a happy ending for him.)

I like the guy, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't help being amused by his predicament.

something on the lighter side. was a forrest gump.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... -evolution

A West Virginia man has decided to sue government officials for teaching evolution in schools, saying it is hampering his daughter's dream to become a veterinarian.

Kenneth Smith's lawsuit says that education officials are violating the Constitution and infringing the civil rights of his daughter by "propagating" the "religion" of evolution, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.

“Their actions during the 2014-2015 school year affects my child’s future directly through the state grading system to enter college and the ability to earn economic security and a good job in her chosen veterinarian medical field of work, by being taught a faith base (evolutionary ideology) that just doesn’t exist and has no math to back it,†the lawsuit reportedly said.

Acting as his own lawyer, Smith filed suit at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia on May 12, suing everyone from the state Superintendent to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, the Mail reported.

This happens very often at our Dutch universities, muslim students (medicine, biology) dragging the uni to court because they refuse to be taught about evolution.

I have relatives who believe that evolution is ridiculous, but they were able to take biology classes because they emphasized that it is only a theory. The theory of evolution. Why couldn't this guy's daughter look at the situation that way? It seems like he expects the university to offer alternative biology classes just for his kid.

Here is a link to the copy of his suit (It is not written by hand on ruled paper, like the one in Nebraska against Gays )

http://ncse.com/files/1-main.pdf

But it is its own kind of crazy.

He also published a book that can be sampled on Amazon. It is called

The True Origin of Man, by Kenneth Smith.

According to Smith, Adam and Eve were 100 percent human and 100 percent white (simlar to albino) and not until Cain mated with apes did our current fleshtones emerge (even blonde was darker than the pure white of Adam and Eve) He has some mathematical equation to discuss the DNA of Cain's Ape children.... :? (Pages 19 and 20 of the sample) which is written as though it was an official extension of Genesis...

The book wanders through the American Civil war and aftermath, and some of his fantasy meandering where the "Smith Theory" replaces "Darwin's Theory" and pure white truly human babies are bred from frozen viking sperm proving God.... in the 275ish area of the book sample. (No, I didn't read the whole thing. How this is supposed to be science is beyond me...)

Anyway, if nothing else, his lawsuit is bringing PR for his book... not that I'd think that would help his case.

ETA, here is his YouTube Video about his book....

[bBvideo 560,340:19iht0h9]

[/bBvideo]

Ya that's why I posted it needed a Dugger break. Yes the comments were great

I'm having serious Duggar fatigue. Thanks for the laughs.

Here is a link to the copy of his suit (It is not written by hand on ruled paper, like the one in Nebraska against Gays )

http://ncse.com/files/1-main.pdf

But it is its own kind of crazy.

He also published a book that can be sampled on Amazon. It is called

The True Origin of Man, by Kenneth Smith.

According to Smith, Adam and Eve were 100 percent human and 100 percent white (simlar to albino) and not until Cain mated with apes did our current fleshtones emerge (even blonde was darker than the pure white of Adam and Eve) He has some mathematical equation to discuss the DNA of Cain's Ape children.... :? (Pages 19 and 20 of the sample) which is written as though it was an official extension of Genesis...

The book wanders through the American Civil war and aftermath, and some of his fantasy meandering where the "Smith Theory" replaces "Darwin's Theory" and pure white truly human babies are bred from frozen viking sperm proving God.... in the 275ish area of the book sample. (No, I didn't read the whole thing. How this is supposed to be science is beyond me...)

Anyway, if nothing else, his lawsuit is bringing PR for his book... not that I'd think that would help his case.

ETA, here is his YouTube Video about his book....

[bBvideo 560,340:16pw731v]

[/bBvideo]

"While denying the Plaintiff's accurate scientific mathematical system of genetic variations that proves evolution is a religion."

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: You cannot "PROVE" science...you don't write "we prove" "it proves" etc in a scientific journal article. I spent two semesters teaching my undergrad students this while they were learning to write lab reports. And the type of data and analysis need to examine genetic variations is not something that someone who discusses "frozen viking sperm proving god" (again with the "proving" :angry-banghead: ) is likely going to have access to or understand. Grr. Just freaking grr. I work in a genomics lab - my research is looking at genetic variation across insect populations. These kind of people spewing this shit just makes me so angry!

Dang - at first I thought I was going to be able to laugh at this too. But people insulting science like this just riles me up.

I have relatives who believe that evolution is ridiculous, but they were able to take biology classes because they emphasized that it is only a theory. The theory of evolution. Why couldn't this guy's daughter look at the situation that way? It seems like he expects the university to offer alternative biology classes just for his kid.

Sigh. Like cells are "just" a theory. Like germs are "just" a theory. Like gravity is "just" a theory.

The word theory describes an explanation which has reached the highest possible level of evidence. There is no higher category.

"a faith base that just doesn’t exist and has no math to back it,â€

You'd think he was talking about creationism.

Sigh. Like cells are "just" a theory. Like germs are "just" a theory. Like gravity is "just" a theory.

The word theory describes an explanation which has reached the highest possible level of evidence. There is no higher category.

Yes, I agree, but if she punches the word theory then she can learn biology without freaking her dad out. She could have her cake and eat it too.

I wonder if this girl knows how hard it is to become a vet. It's harder to get into vet school than medical school. It also costs around 300K.

I read this as "My daughter, who just loves kitty cats and puppies, oh, and horses, too, got a bad grade in biology because she insisted on arguing religion with the teacher and refused to do the assigned work correctly, therefore she won't get admitted to a vet med program or any other decent university course of study."

Yes, I agree, but if she punches the word theory then she can learn biology without freaking her dad out. She could have her cake and eat it too.

I wonder if this girl knows how hard it is to become a vet. It's harder to get into vet school than medical school. It also costs around 300K.

And pays less than most jobs, too.

I read this as "My daughter, who just loves kitty cats and puppies, oh, and horses, too, got a bad grade in biology because she insisted on arguing religion with the teacher and refused to do the assigned work correctly, therefore she won't get admitted to a vet med program or any other decent university course of study."

I think this is a good interpretation of what is probably going on. And makes me feel better. Coming back to this thread today and reading this makes me less angry than I was previously (see my previous post for my rant!). Thanks for reading between the lines of the article where I couldn't!

What, College Plus doesn't give out vet degrees? Perhaps "Healing your kitteh with essential oils?" :lol:

I read that, and had to read it again. And just stared at my screen thinking "WTF? And not submitted with proper English skills?" Then I read he was his own lawyer and thought "now things make sense."

This is not someone I would want as a vet for my animal.

Archived