IGNORED

Anybody watching long-term shows (Grey's etc.)?

Pretzel

I've been watching Grey's for now 10(?) years and I'm still hooked. There have been amazing highs and sadly, awful lows of that show. I still can't forgive SR for never giving Mark and Lexie real closure. The "closure" they got was a joke, a sad sad joke.

Now I watched last night's episode and I have rarely laughed so hard this past few weeks. I thought it was good to get an episode which is on the funnier side of the spectrum after last week's rather traumatic approach.

I was wondering if any of you are just as hooked on a show that's been around for so long as I am? I remember watching ER in the 90's with my mom, even though I was still very young. ER lasted 15 seasons and I watched the majority of them.

Like I said in another thread, I loved NCIS until CdP left and they messed up the show's only acceptable pairing (T&Z). I have not watched it ever since.

So I wondered, who else has a history of watching a show that's been around quite some time?

I have to say I prefer the british series formats where a season is about 12 episodes. Just less repetition. I watched esrly season(1-8) of ER then it jumped the shark to me, all my favourite people were gone I didnt like the new. I watched season 2-3 of Grey's but it became to repetitive. After all no matter their setting they are like soap operas after all. Same with desperate housewives. (watched 1, 2 and a bit of 4)

Generally I am not a big avid watcher of soapy series.

English series I like are My family, (early seasons) coupling, inbetweeners, Life on Mars. Blackadder, fawlty towers(although thosde are a different genre anyway)

I watched ER with my Mom too, and was sad when it ended. I've just started watching Grey's now that it's on Netflix. I caught part of last night's new episode, and was somewhat surprised at the characters. I've just started season 8 on Netflix. Meredith makes me crazy. I can't stand her.

I've fallen off watching a lot of serial shows on TV. I like the instant gratification of Netflix. I don't have to wait for the next episode to show on TV, it starts automatically. I still watch Big Bang Theory. The kids and I watch The Middle and the Goldbergs on Wednesday nights.

I watch Supernatural which has been on for nine years now, though I watched the first six on Netflix. I still really enjoy it, but I'm in the weird position of kind of thinking it should have ended after season five but being really glad it didn't. :)

I loved Gilmore Girls back in the day, but I felt like they got one seasons too many. In the end, episodes were pulled off like old chewing gum. Season 6 and 7 should have been shortened to one.

While it seems like most of "my" shows die a quick death (Firefly! and a long list of others), I do manage to find a few with staying power. We've been watching NCIS (original, LA, and NOLA) since it was a JAG spin-off, and watched JAG prior to that, from the beginning. Which, if I added it up, would probably be a scary amount of time. Same thing happened with the Stargates, although I had to start with the syndie re-runs since I didn't have premium cable when it started on Showtime. That would add up to freakishly-close to 20 years - SG1 was 10, Atlantis was 5, but there was a season or two of overlap, and then I think Universe was 2 years. And the Star Treks, starting with TNG in the late 80s, although that wasn't a continuous run like Stargate and NCIS have been.

I watched ER for a long, long time, but I think I finally wandered away from it about the time Carter left and most of the original cast was gone. I may have watched Anthony Edwards' death episode, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

While it seems like most of "my" shows die a quick death (Firefly! and a long list of others), I do manage to find a few with staying power. We've been watching NCIS (original, LA, and NOLA) since it was a JAG spin-off, and watched JAG prior to that, from the beginning. Which, if I added it up, would probably be a scary amount of time. Same thing happened with the Stargates, although I had to start with the syndie re-runs since I didn't have premium cable when it started on Showtime. That would add up to freakishly-close to 20 years - SG1 was 10, Atlantis was 5, but there was a season or two of overlap, and then I think Universe was 2 years. And the Star Treks, starting with TNG in the late 80s, although that wasn't a continuous run like Stargate and NCIS have been.

I watched ER for a long, long time, but I think I finally wandered away from it about the time Carter left and most of the original cast was gone. I may have watched Anthony Edwards' death episode, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

I remember this as the saddest TV moment in my entire life. I never felt something was as subtle and sad at the same time as Dr. Greene's end.

And yes, I hated when Carter left but he had this crappy plot line in the end with the dead baby and such, so it wasn't as if I cared. I loved all Africa episodes, though. I fiercely loved Neela and Gallant, but every American show needs this plotline about the army hero who then dies for his country and I thought it was kinda...forseeable.

I'm a loyal Grey's follower, even though I seriously miss the earlier years. I fear that it'll eventually go the same way as ER, with no original characters left and only a shadow of what it once was.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up ER when Dr.Greene died. Noah Wylie was not enough to keep me interested, and I never liked most of the newer additions to the cast.

I still love NCIS but agree Cote De Pablo left a huge hole. Still, I have watched it loyally for 11 years. My secret, deep in the closet guilty pleasure is Deadliest Catch, which I have also been watching for 11 years. I cried rivers when Phil Harris died.

I am aboslutely the same on ER it seriously jumped the shark then, I still watched Romano getting a bridge dropped on him but that was it)

Archived