IGNORED

The Knick - NY Hospital 1900

DaffyDill

Has anyone watched this? It stars Clive Owen as Dr John Thackery, a brilliant surgeon at the Knickerbocker Hospital in the early 1900's.

Thackery is loosely based upon Dr William Halstead a famed turn of the century doctor who was also a cocaine and morphine addict, as is Thackery. Apparently addiction to cocaine was not uncommon in doctors during that time, as when researching it's use as an anaesthetic, they regularly used it upon each other, unaware of it's addictive properties until too late.

Season 1 has just aired in the U.S., and I loved it. As someone who loves historical pieces, I was fascinated with New York around the turn of the century, the beginnings of great advances in medicine, the fashions, the appalling treatment of the poor, the even worse treatment of African-Americans, attitudes regarding sickness, hygiene - just everything, really.

Of particular interest is the reaction to hospital staff, and indeed the patients, to the first African-American surgeon they had encountered. Dr Algernon Edwards is brilliant, but finds it difficult to find any respect among many of his colleagues.

Great show - take a look.

I really liked it, although season 1 ended rather abruptly. I kept looking for the next episode but it was apparently over.

They did a pretty good job examining the race and religious issues in NY at the turn on the century, as well as the incredible medical advances we've made. I was fascinated by the depiction of how some very common (now) medical procedures developed, like the c section. I did find the drug use frustrating to the plot, though.

I really liked it, although season 1 ended rather abruptly. I kept looking for the next episode but it was apparently over.

They did a pretty good job examining the race and religious issues in NY at the turn on the century, as well as the incredible medical advances we've made. I was fascinated by the depiction of how some very common (now) medical procedures developed, like the c section. I did find the drug use frustrating to the plot, though.

Agreed. I thought the way they attempted and failed particular procedures, and the examples of common procedures at the time (such as the poor woman with syphilis) were lost somewhat in the story of Thackery's addiction. Loved Algernon's early suction instrument fashioned from an early vacuum cleaner, rather than a hand cranked system.

Love Clive Owen in the series, but a would definitely like to see less of him sweating (literally) on his next fix.

• 2 months later...

Archived