IGNORED

Fundy Homechurchers & Tithes

snickerz

Most Christians believe in paying tithes - a percentage of their income to the church. I got to wondering what fundy homechurchers do about this? Do they just not pay? Or do they give it directly to charitable organizations? Somehow I can't imagine, say, the Maxwells giving large sums of money to a women's shelter or something. Thoughts?

Well, since most of the kids in home-churches are minors with zero income, I suppose the 'tithe' would be free labor.

I suspect though that they don't tithe at all, but Mom and Dad skimp on everything they can (using 'natural cures' for various problems certainly saves money on healthcare, and it's not like they're ever going to pay for college...) to save up for whatever the 'church' needs.

Then again, what's the Biblical justification for home-churching? Throughout the Bible there's references to temples and churches being a community of believers, and these believers aren't necessarily all from the same family (or married into it).

Guest Anonymous

Fab question!

I'd love to know what the Maxwell family budget spreadsheet looks like. They not only rake in profit from their sales and 'love offerings' but they also solicit offerings via their website, for which they are entirely unaccountable because they won't register as a charity.

The Maxwells have said before that they donate money to overseas missionaries. Maybe Steve takes his 10% cut too as their pastor. Heh.

Guest Anonymous

In likelihood these antigovernment fundys probably take advantage of religious tax exemptions and pocket all the change they legally can without paying taxes.

In likelihood these antigovernment fundys probably take advantage of religious tax exemptions and pocket all the change they legally can without paying taxes.

W

This, in addition to all the deductions they can take for their many blessings.

Then again, I wonder how many of them actually PAY taxes to the ebil gubmint? Someone dug up the Duggar's tax records, but they're pretty high profile. What about all these home businesses that can register as sole proprietors and pay their kids under the table?

Most Christians believe in paying tithes - a percentage of their income to the church. I got to wondering what fundy homechurchers do about this? Do they just not pay? Or do they give it directly to charitable organizations? Somehow I can't imagine, say, the Maxwells giving large sums of money to a women's shelter or something. Thoughts?

I've wondered that too. Look at the Duggars, they are raking it in now. Who do they tithe to? They have a home church, or I suppose they could tithe to Gothard I suppose.

Guest Anonymous

W

This, in addition to all the deductions they can take for their many blessings.

Then again, I wonder how many of them actually PAY taxes to the ebil gubmint? Someone dug up the Duggar's tax records, but they're pretty high profile. What about all these home businesses that can register as sole proprietors and pay their kids under the table?

FWIW I'm a dirt lovin' atheist old hippy and I tithe. I think these folks are far more dependent on government entitlements and exemptions than they will ever mention. Each one of their 'mission' trips is tax deductible.

IRRC I did see Jimbobs tax returns when he was in office. He did take advantage of religious deductions/exemptions.

Archived