IGNORED

"Courageous" trailer heckled before screenings of "The Help"

marmalade

A couple reports from TWOP mention there were no Duggars to be seen in the trailer and at a second showing a heckler got a pretty good laugh from the crowd.

I guess Dougie and his pals aren't as ready for Prime Time as they think. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the comments from twop

Saw "The Help" this weekend and they played a preview for "Courageous". Didn't spot a Duggar.

Ewww...so they're expecting another "Fireproof" so they're putting the trailer in front of legit movies? How subtle was the Christian content in the preview...or non-existent for the more mainstream crowd?

I

also saw The Help this weekend and someone yelled out Another fucking fundie movie and the Duggars think they are the stars and most of the people there laughed.

I would have laughted too if I saw the trailer Courageous being shown before a move like The Help. I think maybe these posters live somewhere in the Bible belt where the SBC movies are heavily promoted.

Someone here posted here that they went to a private screening of Courageous and that the movie is actually better than Fireproof and Facing the Giants. She said that some of the acting is decent and the ending is like a fairytale with FTG and Fireproof. She said that the Duggars are only in a scene with marathon and they are onscreen for maybe 10 seconds.

Oh dear, if I had one of those douchey, anxiously masculine fathers I'd hate him too. I see now why the Duggars love this movie. It's an insecure man's wet dream.

Why do things like this never happen to me? I would have riffed on Vision Forum throughout the previews when I went to see The Help this weekend.

Argh. I agree there is a real need for men to be validated and encouraged in their efforts to be good dads, but why oh why do do churches always give such utterly lame advice? I mean really! One of the things I hated most as a kid was watching my dad be guilt-tripped, come home, try to apologize for anything and everything he may have been doing wrong, and then have some incredibly uncomfortable moment where he promises to be better. Why the ceremony?! If you feel like you need to change, please just change. Don't announce your good intentions until they've been real for about six months. It's pathetic because this sort of "teaching" makes men worse fathers and makes their kids have an even harder time respecting them. I like men and I want them in general to have more fun being dads and not always be worried they are doing it wrong.

Don't know much about this movie but I'm for anything that addresses the need for men to "do better." It seems Dougie and the fundy crowd focus 99.99% on women as the root of every problem known to mankind.

I understand the message of being good fathers. I think fathers are important, but it's the way they present it. The idea that you need God and the Bible to be a good dad is just bullshit. I mean, the fathers in the Bible aren't great examples if you ask me. (Jephthah anyone?). And WTF is with conservative Christians and their damn pledges?! If you need a piece of paper to keep your standards, you seriously need a therapist or something. You either believe in something or you don't.

And WTF is with conservative Christians and their damn pledges?! If you need a piece of paper to keep your standards, you seriously need a therapist or something. You either believe in something or you don't.

ITA. The ceremony does serve a purpose - it lets everyone know what a totally awesome man you are. Then It's time to assert your masculine authority over your chattel. Plus, the piece of paper on the wall makes a pretty darn good idol. :twisted:

ITA. The ceremony does serve a purpose - it lets everyone know what a totally awesome man you are. Then It's time to assert your masculine authority over your chattel. Plus, the piece of paper on the wall makes a pretty darn good idol. :twisted:

If its not written down it didnt happen. Kind of like the bible, and the birth certificate, and the constitution...

I understand the message of being good fathers. I think fathers are important, but it's the way they present it. The idea that you need God and the Bible to be a good dad is just bullshit. I mean, the fathers in the Bible aren't great examples if you ask me. (Jephthah anyone?). And WTF is with conservative Christians and their damn pledges?! If you need a piece of paper to keep your standards, you seriously need a therapist or something. You either believe in something or you don't.

THIS

This is a movie that I will see, only because I can actually take my nephews and niece to it and hopefully expose them to some trailers before the movie starts. The only movies they have seen in theatre have been facing the giants and fireproof, my sister is def. fundie but approves of these movies but not the veggietale movies that have come out in theatres...go figure.

Okay, just watched the trailer. The first half looked okay, if cliche. You know, a harmless part-cop, part-family problems!!11! movie, whatever. Then the God stuff started, and I started loling. Seriously, when would the resolution thing actually happen? Hint: never. That was, like, the most heavy handed trailer ever. :lol:

It's not out yet? I saw a trailer for it in JUNE when my mom and I went to see Soul Surfer at the cheap theatre. My mom's not religious, but she does like movies without violence and Soul Surfer was actually enjoyable. (and playing at the right time - her plane was delayed by, like, 8 hours and we needed to kill time.)

Also, I still haven't been able to figure out what it's about. A bunch of cops pledge to be better dads? Yawn.

It's not out yet? I saw a trailer for it in JUNE when my mom and I went to see Soul Surfer at the cheap theatre. My mom's not religious, but she does like movies without violence and Soul Surfer was actually enjoyable. (and playing at the right time - her plane was delayed by, like, 8 hours and we needed to kill time.)

Also, I still haven't been able to figure out what it's about. A bunch of cops pledge to be better dads? Yawn.

I think that is pretty much what is it about.

It's not out yet? I saw a trailer for it in JUNE when my mom and I went to see Soul Surfer at the cheap theatre.

When I went to see Harry Potter last month, they showed trailers for movies that are coming out in November. I guess that's just the way it works now.

BTW, that song in the "Courageous" trailer sounds like Christian ROCK to me! :o Will the Duggars still be able to see the movie?

The Black lady was really creepy in that angle. I expected her to attack her husband a la "Alien."

Those guys were protecting the streets? It didn't exactly look like the inner city, but then even small-town America has its crime, right? And what was the big tragedy that happened? Did the son OD on secular video games (Grand Theft Auto?)? Why was the dad let-go? Was it 'cause he was a shitty father? Oh, the questions that need to be answered!

I see they have the token Black guy and Hispanic guy on the force, but where are the Asian guy and Native American guy to round out the representation of "we love everyone, but not really" sentiment?

Does anyone remember the title of the movie where the woman had a child and husband that she ran away from? Then the child met her at bible camp and figured out it was his mother and the church was all like "She's a Christian now" so she couldn't be with her family?

And what was the big tragedy that happened? Did the son OD on secular video games (Grand Theft Auto?)?

I got the impression that the little sister died.

I'm actually kind of impressed (well that's a strong word but I can't think of another one this early in the AM) that this is only their 4th movie and the quality DOES keep getting better. I got a screener of Flywheel at a breakfast hosted by the Chi-fil-A guy and that, my friends, was BAD. Although, honestly, not as bad as it could have been considering all the actors were just random people from the church.

Don't know much about this movie but I'm for anything that addresses the need for men to "do better." It seems Dougie and the fundy crowd focus 99.99% on women as the root of every problem known to mankind.

Meh, I'm not so excited. I'm sure their version of "good dad" means spanking kids more and providing monetarily for them. I highly doubt they are using this movie to encourage fathers to do all the things that mother already do and are taken for granted, like cooking and chauffeuring kids around. They have a very specific role that they think fathers should be, and it's not as good as I expect from fathers.

I've seen this trailer twice now in theaters. In Chicago before Captain America, and again in Indianapolis prior to The Change Up. We were not expecting to see a trailer like this in either city. We laughed and heard several people make comments along the lines of wtf?

I see they have the token Black guy and Hispanic guy on the force, but where are the Asian guy and Native American guy to round out the representation of "we love everyone, but not really" sentiment?

THIS. Gotta have a racially diverse cast that thinks, speaks, and believes EXACTLY the same way at all times.

I got the impression that the little sister died.

I think so, since there's a funeral scene with Joy Anna Duggar crying in the background. Who knew a lifetime being forced to fake every emotion would make her a good actress? :roll:

They have a very specific role that they think fathers should be, and it's not as good as I expect from fathers.

I agree. I suppose starting the movie just after the 'resolution' ceremony and showing what a narrow minded, domineering patriarch looks like wouldn't play well on the big screen.

Also, I was kind of creeped out where the one dad was talking to his daughter in a restaurant. It looked like he was going to launch into 'you're menstruating now, so wear your purity ring an let me make all your romantic choices'.

Archived