IGNORED

If a modest skirt has "fly detail" --

MamaJunebug

-- is it still modest? Hmmmmm? Because we all know where a fly detail leads the eyes.

But Olivia of Fresh Modesty now has a denim skirt manufacturing effort going on and that's one of the features she talks about in hawking her wearable wares.

Just wondering.

It irked me that the thing she lists as #1 for how people can help, on her little kickstarter, is to pray for success. You can't pay production costs with prayers.

I want to support small businesses, but am worried that supporting ones like this could encourage others in the quiver that having as many kids as you can pop out and oppress is what works. I haven't seen anything to indicate that she wants out. So I'm not sure what to do.

It irked me that the thing she lists as #1 for how people can help, on her little kickstarter, is to pray for success. You can't pay production costs with prayers.

I want to support small businesses, but am worried that supporting ones like this could encourage others in the quiver that having as many kids as you can pop out and oppress is what works. I haven't seen anything to indicate that she wants out. So I'm not sure what to do.

Supporting small businesses is like supporting larger ones--only more direct. If you have ever hesitated to buy something because you don't want to support the pet cause of one of the leaders of a large company, then not buying something because you don't support the philosophy of the owner of a small business makes even more sense, to me.

Her stated start up costs are less than what my nephew pays to go to a state university for a year. She can pay for her start up like other people her age pay for their college-- working part time or for 6 months to a year to save up, or her parents can kick in.

I'm not schooled on fashion history, but isn't the fly the vehicle in which a man can access his anaconda on-the-fly? Following that logic, women have no need. This puts them in direct violation of the "pertaineth to a man" nonsense. Good ChristiansTM wear side zippers.

Growing up, during my family's most extreme fundie years, we girls were not allowed to wear skirts or pants with a fly. (Yes, we could wear pants, but they had to be baggy "old-lady" elastic waist no-fly pants.) It was for the reason that flys were specifically a male clothing style.

I'm not schooled on fashion history, but isn't the fly the vehicle in which a man can access his anaconda on-the-fly? Following that logic, women have no need. This puts them in direct violation of the "pertaineth to a man" nonsense. Good ChristiansTM wear side zippers.

I never knew that, but now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. ;) On the other hand, fundie women might as well eschew underpants as well, since those were originally designed for men.

I personally hate fly zippers since my tummy bulge tends to un-zip them when I sit down. And there is nothing a man can possibly find attractive about that.

Quite right; nothing "pertaineth to a man" like a fly. My fundie niece can't wear pants with a fly, so she's not a jeans wearer for that reason, but looks cute enough in tunics with leggings when the occasion calls for pants. Clearly no one has pointed this issue out to Olivia.... :?

I can help out, here - find any one of the thousands of start-up hopefuls that don't have the stank of patriarchialism attached to them, and support away! :)

At my fundie school in the 80's we couldn't wear denim at all, or plaid flannel, because they are "men's work clothes material."

I found out when I wore a denim skirt with a plaid flannel shirt. I was given a pass - that day - because my parents weren't saved. Of course I never wore them to school again.

Archived