IGNORED

Josie: The Last Duggar Child?

Daenerys

I was thinking that Josie's premature birth may be a 'sign' (from God/Nature/Her Body, as you wish) that her childbearing years are over because her womb has weakened to the point that it can no longer hold a developing baby. I actually saw a similar thing in a programme about a woman with 14 kids (who wasn't a fundie!) who kept miscarrying afterwards and ended up needing a hystericalectomy to sort it out.

Anyone else think/know about the possibility of her growing up to be disabled? I know she's a preemie but she still strikes me as seemingly very behind for her age, as well as very small and weak looking. I do wonder how it would change things long term if instead of the last daughter being 'called' to care for her parents, they were forced to care for her as the healthy daughters all left and founded their own families.

I have a strong feeling that Josie will be last child for Michelle and Jim Boob. It's just a guess, but I think she'd probably be pregnant again by now if it was going to happen. It's gotta be making her crazy that Kelly Bates is pregnant again with #19. Anyway, I've seen it posited elsewhere that as a result of her last pregnancy, she might now be unable to carry children and I could see that. Or her fertility just tanked (although, that seems strange given that it didn't seem to noticeably wane in the years before now but it certainly could have gone down during the time she was in Arkansas and JBoob was at home and therefore they weren't having teh gross sex.)

I'm guessing Michelle doesnt give up so fast. I'm thinking that she has been working out hard, really focusing on nutrition, and trying some "light" fertility treatments. She looked great when I saw her last month. I wouldnt be surprised if there is another pregnancy.

If she doesn't get pregnant again it won't be for lack of trying. I do remember somebody (maybe Doc Sharon?) saying that the type of C-section she had could make it harder to get pregnant again.

I'm guessing Michelle doesnt give up so fast. I'm thinking that she has been working out hard, really focusing on nutrition, and trying some "light" fertility treatments. She looked great when I saw her last month. I wouldnt be surprised if there is another pregnancy.

Damn you Buzzard, for killing my hopes and dreams! :shhh:

There's nothing at all wrong with Josie's height or weight for a preemie who was born so early. I think she's doing splendidly from the little bit I've seen of her on TV. I've known and loved some very early preemies. Some, she is doing better than; some, not.

At some point, I think it will be very hard to tell that she was ever born so early. She may be a little smaller than her sibs when full grown, and she may still yet manifest some physical challenges (gait problems, etc.). But I think she will be normal in every way, if not a little fragile in the lung department, which is not unusual for preemies. Then, a lot of term babies have lung problems, too (asthma, frequent infections, etc.).

I get a little defensive when people make judgments about little babies on their appearances before they've had a chance to develop. It just shows their ignorance of what is going on with the little tot.

Josie will probably will have some minor problems that the Duggars will completely ignore and won't take seriously. She probably won't have anything major or obvious that the parents would need to address or face harsh criticism. She might have mild learning delays that would normally require some special education, which she absolutely won't get. She could turn out to have no problems at all in the long run, but will be delayed physically and I fear that her parents will expect her to do the same chores that other kids do before she can handle them. And my worst fear is that she will have minor behavioral problems that will not be handled in the right way.

I think Josie is the only baby that J-chelle could have maybe bonded with. She said something ridiculous about how when Josie cries she can just tell what she is asking for. Um, aren't most moms in-tune to their infants needs? I'm not ready to say if being Ofjimbob's buddy will help or hurt her. It's all just idle speculation.

I think Josie could be the last Duggar child, this is the longest that the Duggars have gone anti-birth control between pregnancies. However I don't think Michelle isn't going to go down swing since Kelly is preggo again

Not if Michelle can help it. She will probably sneek away to India for fertility treatments and say they were on a "mission trip".

No way can she let the Bates' outbreed her.

I hope so. Josie deserves to have all the attention she can get from her parents, she doesn't need to be pushed aside in favor of a new

"precious addition".

I've had the feeling all along that Josie is the last one. I would be utterly shocked if she managed to carry to term again. I agree that the drama with Josie was her body's way of saying 'no more'.

I don't think she'll wind up being profoundly handicapped in any way. She might need glasses when she's a bit older, and she might not have perfect health, but I think that she'll wind up pretty much normal. I hope that she's the last child because she's going to need the support and one-on-one attention that the other kids have missed out on.

I absolutely think that Josie is the last Duggar child. I would love them to film Michelle's reaction when she realizes that she can't have anymore kids. I would pay to see this episode. The Duggars are a train wreck and I can't wait for Michelle to realize that her days of mothering are over because she has no other identity other than "Breeder".

Josie could always be a little behind physically or mentally or both. Prematurity is a huge strain on a baby.

I have an older brother who was preemie and has CP--prob not a good example, but bear with me. I was also premature, and we are both notably shorter than our siblings. Like, my mom was 5'11 and my dad was 6'2" and my siblings are 5'10 through 6'4, but C and I are both 5'6.

We're the smarter ones, though.

Josie's premature birth and attendant problems are clearly a sign that Michelle should stop having children. Whether the Duggars heed that sign remains to be seen. Given her age and her history (how many c-sections has she had? 4? 5?) I would be very surprised if she could carry another pregnancy to term.

As for Josie, I sincerely hope she doesn't have any long-term problems, but I think Jim Bob and Michelle will turn a willfully blind eye to any long-term problems with their "miracle baby."

Josie could be just fine. I have friends whose son was about that size and he's in his twenties now. He's fine. No problems. Honors student. Eagle Scout. You name it.

The book made it clear that Josie really, really put a strain on their marriage. I would be surprised, but not shocked if there is another pregnancy or birth. I think Kelly is flirting with disaster and that makes me sad. But, 1000% trust in the Lord is part of this lifestyle.

I think Josie could probably grow up to be fine, were she in a normal family. But she's gonna have developmental struggles because of being a preemie, and will need a lot of help and one-on one attention that the other kids can survive without, and she may not be able to get it.

When she's 5, Jinger, the youngest of the four older girls, will be 21. In fundy-land, that sounds like about marriageable age, and her sisters should be well down the babymaking route by then. So that leaves 13 children without the people who've been doing most of their care, including a rowdy bunch of young boys who only appear to behave when the girls are around. So at this point, Michelle's suddenly going to find herself having to do more around the house, because Joy alone can't take on everything and the next girl will only be 7. This is the point at which Josie needs to start things like learning to read, dress herself fully and increasingly control her emotions (not throwing tantrums). If she's mentally incapacitated, it isn't going to be a case of leaving her to 'pick it up' from the others. She's gonna need things to be gone through one on one, over and over again. If Michelle and everyone else is struggling without tlc money or their four slaves, she could miss out and end up much more backward than she should have been.

I think she'll be the last. Michelle isn't getting any younger (although often women who have had kids already can get pregnant into their early 40s) and Josie needs some special attention and help to be able to catch up.

I also suspect that Michelle's physical condition was much worse than they let on - with pre-eclampsia or HELLP it's a juggling act between the mom's and the baby's health because the only cure is to deliver the baby. I think she may have had HELLP based on how they described the symptoms. For her to have severe preeclampsia so early in pregnancy to the point where the baby had to be delivered right at the edge of viability, I suspect that her doctors told her another pregnancy would be a very bad idea. For severe, early-onset preeclampsia or HELLP the recurrence rates are very high and it tends to happen as early or earlier in the pregnancy - in Michelle's case that means it could occur prior to viability. It can also seriously complicate a C-section delivery and risk the mother's life.

It's also a matter of potential consequence or risk to baby and mom in a future pregnancy. With mild, full-term onset preeclampsia, OBs usually have no issue with a mom choosing to have more kids - yes, the risk of recurrence is fairly high but in those cases it's usually not progressively "worse" and is actually usually milder. However, severe preeclampsia and HELLP tend to have much higher recurrence rates and often the onset is earlier during a subsequent pregnancy - if a mother has already had severe preeclampsia at the edge of viability, then it's a different story entirely as to whether or not it's advisable to have another baby.

When she's 5, Jinger, the youngest of the four older girls, will be 21. In fundy-land, that sounds like about marriageable age, and her sisters should be well down the babymaking route by then. So that leaves 13 children without the people who've been doing most of their care, including a rowdy bunch of young boys who only appear to behave when the girls are around. So at this point, Michelle's suddenly going to find herself having to do more around the house, because Joy alone can't take on everything and the next girl will only be 7.

Hannie will be 9 or 10 when Josie is five

I predict that Joy and Hannie will be doing a butt load of work in the future (probably the not so distant future). I hear Hannie's already being drafted for laundry duty.

I think Josie could be the last Duggar child, this is the longest that the Duggars have gone anti-birth control between pregnancies. However I don't think Michelle isn't going to go down swing since Kelly is preggo again

This cracks me the hell up. :lol: I agree with your assessment. I also think that Josie is doing fine from our limited view. Usually preemies "catch up" within about 2 years, so she's got some time still.

Well if you look at the gaps between children she is clearly beginning to 'tail off' as they are getting bigger. The first five pregnancies (excl. Josh) happened in 6.5 years, whereas the last five (should Josie have been born in March) took 8.5 years... Johannah and Jordyn were each the youngest child for almost two years, whereas no other Duggar apart from Josh has been the baby for longer than 18 months.

Gaps: 22(BC), 16, 18, 13, 13, 18, 14, 14 x2, 16, 15, 16, 18, 18, 22, 16, 27 (if correct due date)

Archived