IGNORED

No Abortion in the Case of Incest, b/c Incest is Consensual

Cleopatra7

Sigh, I don't even know what to say, so I'll just let this loser hang himself with his own words:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/11/v ... voluntary/

(link not broken because it's a secular outlet)

Bob Marshall, who is running for the seat being vacated by retiring Rep. Frank Wolf (R- VA10), explained in an interview with the Boston Globe in 1989 that he wouldn’t make exceptions for abortions, even in the case of rape and incest, stating: “What if incest is voluntary? Sometimes it is.â€

Marshall, a senior Republican member of the Virginia General Assembly, has a history of making colorful statements that may come back to haunt him in the upcoming election, but he insists they are not gaffes...

Defending his comment, he recently said, “Clearly, some of the people who are making these decisions must be rationalizing their own bad behavior.â€

In 2010, Marshall called for an end to state funding for Planned Parenthood, and suggested that women who have abortions are more likely to face “vengeance†from “nature†in the form of children being born with developmental disabilities.

“The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion who have handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the firstborn of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children,†Marshall said.

You know, I do love my state, but it's been turning out some real winners lately, hasn't it? :angry-banghead:

Sigh, I don't even know what to say, so I'll just let this loser hang himself with his own words:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/11/v ... voluntary/

(link not broken because it's a secular outlet)

Would that be Nature or God punishing the women. ANd what kind of science suggests that aborting a first child leads to later birth defects. It makes no sense.

Ah good ol' Bob...one of our more cringeworthy politicians here. He's one of the more colorful sights to see at General Assembly. FWIW, most of his colleagues don't even seem to take him seriously.

Let me guess. He's also one of those "rape is consensual" types, because she was TOTALLY ASKING FOR IT, right? :roll:

This is a new one for me. I have heard abortion causes infertility and cancer and yadda yadda yadda, but I have never heard this birth defects BS.

You know, I do love my state, but it's been turning out some real winners lately, hasn't it? :angry-banghead:

This is my congressional district. I think the only reason Frank Wolf kept winning was because he had been around so long. This area is swinging more and more towards democrats. Hopefully this guy won't be elected.

A few days ago someone posted something stupid a politician from NE said and I thought, well at least I don't live there anymore so I don't have to claim that one now. Now, this guy comes up today. I guess it's South Dakota's turn in the next couple days at the rate it's going.

I, generally, like VA having been a transplant about 17 years ago. Many of the laws are quite progressive in areas where other states are still lagging behind (particularly where it comes to the internet, for example), but when the politicians say something crazy here, they go buck wild crazy :(

Would that be Nature or God punishing the women. ANd what kind of science suggests that aborting a first child leads to later birth defects. It makes no sense.

It was a common belief in many pre-modern societies that birth defects were a punishment from God(s) because of sins the parents committed. This is why in the New Testament, Jesus tells the crowd that the blind man he just healed was not born that way because of his parents' sins, but to glorify God. It was also a common belief that an unusually large number of "monstrous births" were signs from heaven or just a general indication that God(s) was angry.

“The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion who have handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the firstborn of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children,†Marshall said.

Vengeance seeking ghost fetuses. Awesome.

Incest isn't always consensual. Most of the time, it isn't. Yes, there are a few cases of people who are having consensual sex with relatives (in fact, in some countries, cousin marriage is seen as completely okay), or who didn't know the person they were sleeping with was their long lost cousin, but they are in the minority. Most of the time, it is usually an older relative molesting a child.

Would they still be saying it if it was a 12 year old girl who was pregnant with her own father's baby because he raped her?

Probably yes, knowing these people.

I thought the whole point of making an exception for incest is that there is a high rate of genetic problems if the mother and father are first degree relatives ( mother/son, father/ daughter, brother/sister) . It would seem like any incest with a minor would fall under rape? Except, I guess, close in age siblings? I know first cousin marriages aren't illegal in many states. Also, ick.

I thought the whole point of making an exception for incest is that there is a high rate of genetic problems if the mother and father are first degree relatives ( mother/son, father/ daughter, brother/sister) . It would seem like any incest with a minor would fall under rape? Except, I guess, close in age siblings? I know first cousin marriages aren't illegal in many states. Also, ick.

Here, the biggest opponent to marriage for gay people, Christine Boutin (Google her name, she's a digusting personn), is married to her cousin... And say "It's my private life, I marry who I want, you don't have to look on my marriage." Haha. Make sense.

That would be the science of the dining room table.

That would be the science of the dining room table.

I wonder if his theory is that more people who have abortions today are likely to have later children with identified birth defects than women who had abortions 30 years ago? Technically that would likely be correct, but only because I assume more children born to anyone are identified with birth defects ( or special needs ) than 30 years ago. Largely due to increasing numbers of extremely premature infants surviving, more women in their forties giving birth and probably most significant - more minor birth defects and special needs being screened for and detected.

Here, the biggest opponent to marriage for gay people, Christine Boutin (Google her name, she's a digusting personn), is married to her cousin... And say "It's my private life, I marry who I want, you don't have to look on my marriage." Haha. Make sense.

I googled her...I have no words.

I wonder if his theory is that more people who have abortions today are likely to have later children with identified birth defects than women who had abortions 30 years ago? Technically that would likely be correct, but only because I assume more children born to anyone are identified with birth defects ( or special needs ) than 30 years ago. Largely due to increasing numbers of extremely premature infants surviving, more women in their forties giving birth and probably most significant - more minor birth defects and special needs being screened for and detected.

for the record: Abortions DO NOT cause birth defects. The people who believe that they do are not misinterpreting data they are just wrong.

edited to add: MrsS2004 I just realized that quoting you as I did might give the impression I am putting your theory down -sorry I did not mean it that way at all

I bet if it happened to him he will sing a different tune. I don't know wtf is wrong with these idiots.

He will never be pregnant, so from his point of view he has no reason to rethink this.

This is my congressional district. I think the only reason Frank Wolf kept winning was because he had been around so long. This area is swinging more and more towards democrats. Hopefully this guy won't be elected.

This is my old district. I'd wanted to believe the crazy had avoided it, but clearly I was wrong.

Would they still be saying it if it was a 12 year old girl who was pregnant with her own father's baby because he raped her?

Well, she shouldn't have been slinking around in those slutty clothes and leading him on till he couldn't control himself!

And if a mother rape his son (or a sister his brother, etc...), and the woman became pregnant ? What do they do ? Who is the responsible ?

:headdesk: I looked her up. On top of this, she thinks Dubya orchestrated 9/11 because the conspiracy sites get the most hits. Well, today I learned that facts are determined by which sites get page views.

Maybe I'm OT here, but I'm so sick of the "exceptions" to abortion, and saying that incest "may be consensual" is just one more way of saying that that the fetuses are humans, Right to Life, is a bunch of BS, and restricting abortion is about punishing women for voluntarily having sex. Period. The humanity or lack thereof of the fetus is not dependent on whether the woman agreed to have sex or who she had sex with.

BTW, I became pregnant from a gang rape when I was 15. Abortion was illegal then and I'm one of the statistics who was forced to be a breeder for the adoption industry. I can't honestly say what I would have done had abortion been legal and I'd had access to it at the time, but I can say that if what happened to me happened to any of the young girls in my family, or if at the age of 15 one became pregnant from voluntarily having sex, I sure want safe and legal termination as an option.

That said, my child is grown, we are reunited, and he is a great guy. So I'd have to question why his "personhood" is somehow different from that of people who were conceived voluntarily.

A fetus is just that, a fetus. Whether a woman chooses to continue to grow the fetus in her body or wishes to stop that process is up to her alone (or anyone SHE chooses to have involved in that decision). A born person is a person.

I really wish Christians, and especially Christian men, would find something else other than the sex lives of women they don't know to obsess about.

I bet if it happened to him he will sing a different tune. I don't know wtf is wrong with these idiots.

So much this. If it was his own daughter he was sleeping with (not saying he does. Hell, I don't even know if he has a daughter), I have no doubt he would make her get an abortion if she got pregnant. And if some guy on the street pulled her aside and raped her, you know he would do everything to prosecute the rapist to the fullest extent of the law, not blaming her (as many fundies are wont to do). As usual, the rules are for everyone else. Fundies love making rules and forcing everyone else to comply, but they themselves have no interest whatsoever in practicing what they preach.

Archived