IGNORED

LiaS is interviewing her children on her blog

tabitha2

So far she has done her 7 year old and 18 year old.Check it out.Interesting to hear directly from VF trained kids who aren't Duggars,even if judt answering questions from mom.

Sorry bout that.

inashoe.com/

For some back ground,LIaS is the the blog of Kim Coughlin,mother of 10 kids from 18 to 1, with 8 girls,2 boys.Her husband Perry is upper management at Vision Forum and they are what you might call B list nobility.

Sorry bout that.

inashoe.com/

For some back ground,LIaS is the the blog of Kim Coughlin,mother of 10 kids from 18 to 1, with 8 girls,2 boys.Her husband Perry is upper management at Vision Forum and they are what you might call B list nobility.

and all 9 kids sleep on shelves in one room, they don't have AC and live in South Texas.

I found it weird that the girl said she still feels like she was 15, I know it was like a shock to 18 for me but I certainly did not feel like a 15 year old anymore.

and all 9 kids sleep on shelves in one room, they don't have AC and live in South Texas.

I found it weird that the girl said she still feels like she was 15, I know it was like a shock to 18 for me but I certainly did not feel like a 15 year old anymore.

And don't forget that they store their clothes outdoors (mold,snakes and scorpions, oh my!)

I guess if you're a SAHD and don't get any independence at 18, your life isn't too different from what it was at 15. It's not like you're going to be going away to school or dating or anything. *sigh*

What kills me is that the fundie rules of the 90s when I was growing up seemed awfully restrictive at the time. However, I know plenty of people my age who went a little wild in their early 20s and now are back in the fold and completely raising their kids for the even stricter lives of courtship and SAHD-dom. I'm wondering what the next generation will come up with.

And don't forget that they store their clothes outdoors (mold,snakes and scorpions, oh my!)

I guess if you're a SAHD and don't get any independence at 18, your life isn't too different from what it was at 15. It's not like you're going to be going away to school or dating or anything. *sigh*

What kills me is that the fundie rules of the 90s when I was growing up seemed awfully restrictive at the time. However, I know plenty of people my age who went a little wild in their early 20s and now are back in the fold and completely raising their kids for the even stricter lives of courtship and SAHD-dom. I'm wondering what the next generation will come up with.

For one thing, I'm guessing that the betrothal concept will become more prevalent as the fundies try to out-fundie each other, and that sooner or later we will be seeing straight-up arranged marriages. Of course, I'm hoping the fundie/QF movement will start to shrink significantly, which seems likely since so many homeschoolers are "dropping out." (Thanks Botkins. ;p)

Why doesn't she have her liscence at 18?? Are they the type of people who let their daughter's future husband decide whether she can drive or not? And why on earth would you buy a third of a car you can't even drive around? This interview made me really sad. At eighteen you shouild be bursting with plans about your future and have about a million things to say. Sigh...

I think it's actually a quite boring interview and I don't really see the purpose in it. Deanna seems more than bored (or embarassed, Iam not quite sure) and her mother is just annoying. I feel really sorry for that girl and would like to tell her to take that Mustang and drive. As far away as possible!!

Didn't Deanna say that she had been practicing driving in the VF parking lot? Driving in circles around VF seems like a great metaphor for what her life is probably going to be like. She's got a house full of young siblings and a mom who can't stop talking about how training the girls = working herself out of a job. I will eat my hat if this one is not a terminal SAHD. :(

Wow..I hope she was just really camera shy and not actually that boring. How sad for an 18 year old...where is her life headed? I know, godly wife blah blah blah....:(

I can't believe she was wearing a sleeveless shirt!

Yeah and then she talked about how they're usually walking around the house in sports bras and camis - hello defrauding mental image!

Why doesn't she have her liscence at 18?? Are they the type of people who let their daughter's future husband decide whether she can drive or not?

I haven't watched the video yet but it's not uncommon for fundie daughters to not have a driver's license or be registered to vote. That way they can't be called in for jury duty and possibly be exposed cases involving graphic images or details.

Clothing is not a big thing with them-They dress normal as you or I.

They seem to dress slightly more modestly, at least that's the impression I got from a pic I saw when I visited the blog a few weeks ago. They are family though, so I guess walking around in sports bras isn't such a big deal.

Well,yes, I should have said modestly-you won't see Daisy dukes or Mini skirts or tube tops-but jeans,capris,shorts I think,regular non plunging tops.They don't dress in a manner different from mainstream Christian family, basically.

My mom started teaching me to drive at 14. I did not get my license until I was 17 and 5months. To put it simply, my mom was concerned more with being lazy than with fostering independence in her daughter. :P

I would not be surprised if Kim and Perry have just not "got around to" taking Deanna to get her license. I mean, they have plans for an entire bedroom extension wing. They've had 4 (I think) children since building the house, so originally the two kids rooms housed only six kids between them. And Kim often mentions things they mean to get around to.

I don't think they are opposed to Deanna getting her license. The context with which they talk about it in the video implies it's gonna happen.

My sister's boyfriend is about 19 and just got his license a month ago.

Well,yes, I should have said modestly-you won't see Daisy dukes or Mini skirts or tube tops-but jeans,capris,shorts I think,regular non plunging tops.They don't dress in a manner different from mainstream Christian family, basically.

That strikes me! I thought since they are in the VF-crowd they would also follow the skirts-only-policy.

Very interesting to watch. I'm getting the sense Kim is a very controlling person but smart and rather sophisticated about it. She makes it look like strong guiding with her posture and her calmness but when you check out the hand in the back and Deanna leaning slighty backwards the whole time it starts to look intimidating.

I'm a bit scared of Kim C is what I'm saying.

Old post.The point is they like cute skirts more but don't think jeans or shorts with send you to Satan or induce massive lust and you'll see plenty of pictures of them in those.

they may wear cute skirts in favor of frumpers, but their dress code and modesty standards more closely resemble the Maxwell’s, than they resemble those of "mainstream Christians."

Regular Christians (and non Christians) alike,esp in the south, have the 'we want girls to be girls and boys to be boys' mindset and dress their children accordingly,so yes,that is a pretty mainstream concept.As for comparing them to Maxwells regarding modesty,They are no where that level-no one is really.Do think the M's would ever mention the word bra in post or post about Terry and Steve taking a shower together? Also LiaS OVERALL is much more concerned about keeping the gender spheres separate in terms of mindset,work,marriage roles.They may pay lip service to female dress but it takes a a back seat to these things.They'll gladly put a daughter in shorts and a tank top before they let her date and that is what makes them VF nobility.

Archived