IGNORED

Mikey Weinstein on Dominionism in Military

Janes Heir

I am surprised that the numbers are that high but not surprised that it is becoming a problem. In the documentary, Jesus Camp, one of the campers father was leaving for Iraq and in his interview talked about saving infidels. What a lot of these people don't understand is that there are people like me who get totally turned off with this kind of "witnessing" and the more they push, the more we push back.

I believe I might have seen the rise of this growing up in the military from the 70s until the 90s. When I was a really little kid, someone wearing their uniform to a political rally (of ANY sort) or a religious conference would have been unthinkable. Somewhere in my mid to late teens that started to change, noticeably, to the point that my dad (who IS uber conservative and religious but who *never* used his rank/uniform in that manner) started to get very very uncomfortable with it. He never allowed people to fly the "christian flag" in the chapel on his bases, ect, despite his beliefs--he wasn't a Dominionist in the same sense people are now. (Of course, he was highly educated and came from a unique family background, so that also might have come into play) Yet I saw that happening later on when we visited bases after he'd moved on to higher levels of command. I'm sure it varies by service though. We were Air Force which seems to have been particularly targeted by these folks. :(

Mikey Weinstein is awesome. My nutty Calvinist relatives have a son in the Air Force. At least one fundie family (the lazy d ranch family) have a son in the Air Force, too. It seems like the popular choice for ultra-conservatives/fundies.

Mikey Weinstein is awesome. My nutty Calvinist relatives have a son in the Air Force. At least one fundie family (the lazy d ranch family) have a son in the Air Force, too. It seems like the popular choice for ultra-conservatives/fundies.

I get that impression, too. We're not military, but I know a lot of military families and I've been told that Air Force and Marines are very popular with the Dominionist crowd, though you can find them in all branches.

I get that impression, too. We're not military, but I know a lot of military families and I've been told that Air Force and Marines are very popular with the Dominionist crowd, though you can find them in all branches.

Well, duh. No college for you, and you don't have any original business ideas, but you've got to do something with your life at some point. Something manly and dominating. Training to kill people for America! That's the ticket! Especially if they're ebil muslims

Well, duh. No college for you, and you don't have any original business ideas, but you've got to do something with your life at some point. Something manly and dominating. Training to kill people for America! That's the ticket! Especially if they're ebil muslims

Yeah, I guess. But I'm overall pretty surprised at the lack of fundie sons joining the military. For all the "Rah Rah Go America" rhetoric, very few of them actually serve. (At least the VF/ATI sons)

Yeah, I guess. But I'm overall pretty surprised at the lack of fundie sons joining the military. For all the "Rah Rah Go America" rhetoric, very few of them actually serve. (At least the VF/ATI sons)

Besides being a generally chickenshit bunch, it's not surprising fundie males don't sign up because they'd have to take orders from any superior, including - gasp! - female NCOs & officers! :o

They're all homeschooled and don't have accredited diplomas. The military doesn't want them until they've got some college credits to show their education is legit or they score really well on the ASVAB (military aptitude test).

More details: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningt ... faqged.htm

I've heard from quite a few friends in the Air Force that this is true. It's interesting because from the outside the Air Force seems to be more "relaxed" military. However, the AF is actually incredibly gung-ho and the academy is a real hot bed of sexism. So, rigid rule followers, not friendly to women and relative safety (if you're not in a fighter jet) might make it a magnet for fundies.

This is probably not new to any of you, and I'm a Canuck, so am just learning a bit about military/Air Force culture and politics. But here's a Rachel Maddow video on how much Focus on the Family and associated ex-gay leaders influence the Air Force. The guy interviewed got sent to Ted Hagard's (sp?) church!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hycXW6RNs

I didn't encounter any when I was in the Navy, but I've met quite a few as an Air Force spouse.

Archived