IGNORED

Fundie Board Games?

GeoBQn

My husband likes board games, so I've been looking into them so that we can play together. Now I'm curious about what board games fundies allow for their children. I've seen Christian versions of secular board games which tend to fall into two categories:

1. Versions that remove any possible objectionable content from the original. ("Apples to Apples: Bible Edition")

2. Versions where the original has no objectionable content, but they have to make it religious anyway because G-d forbid they spend any time having fun with something that isn't directly related to the Bible. ("Settlers of Canaan")

The closest I came to this growing up was a set of "Kosherland" that my aunt had.

On a side note, there's a group in my town called Gamers for Humanity. For every family that gets a Habitat for Humanity house, they donate a bag of card games, board games, puzzles, and brain teasers for the family's children. I think it's a nice counterpoint to all of the items donated by religious groups for each house.

I thought this would be about board games based on fundies. I had an excellent idea for Maxwells: The Board Game. The board is beige, there are no dice so everyone moves one at a time, and it goes in a circle so nobody wins or loses. Also, you get the opportunity to pick a card, but theyre things like "You and everyone you love is going to die" "Go and clean the kitchen cabinets before you die" "Do you know where you will go when you die"

there used to be a 'life/monopoly' knockoff we played--you had to make sure your treasure was in heaven instead of on earth, blah blah blah.

My sisters cheated though, so it probably wasn't good :-P

(and I would ALWAYS draw the stupid card that said I had a bad attitude so I only got earthly rewards)

HA, found it'--"Generosity:" http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9574/generosity

There were also some various bible trivia games

Re: the Maxwells game, there was a game called "Mother's Helper" we had as kids--it wasn't fundie, but should have been. The whole idea was that your little girl was supposed to be mother's helper--my dad HATED that game--to many cards that kids couldn't read themselves: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9894/mothers-helper.

We weren't allowed 'real' cards at some of my relatives' houses--so we played things like animal SNAP. HAve you ever played Animal SNAP? VIOLENT. We would walk away battered and bruised and with stinging hands, but we didn't have the evil of those clubs and hearts and spades :P!

I think some fundies might just play regular games that aren't objectionable. We've seen the Duggars play bananagrams and Zsu has played Ticket to Ride as well as Taboo. Most games really aren't that objectionable except to the really crazy fundies.

I don't know about other funnies, but we play tons of board games........some favorites are Risk, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Axia and Allies, Dixit, Carcassonne, various versions of Battleground Fantasy Warfare. Old Ravensburger games and games from the company gamewright are among our favorites, as well. We have more games than anyone I know, it's a little ridiculous. And, ha, probably anybody who knows us well could identify me from this comment.

I'm Jewish, but when I was little my cousins had a game called Mitzvah Monopol. It was like monopoly only you built synagogues instead of hotels and the streets were all from Jerusalem.

My dad isn't fundie, but he created a board game for his Sabbath school class that was religious. I'll see if he posted anything about it on his website that I can link to.

I do know that he named it "The Bored Game." Though I think my brother and his friends have fun with it, so it's not really boring, he just named it that because he thought it was funny.

For the record, my dad is not one of those Adventists who opposes secular board games on the sabbath (I think? I THINK I saw them playing risk on the sabbath...) He just needed something he could take to church.

Also, not in my generation, because we were a tad more liberal, but in my mother's generation the kids would play "bible tag" on sabbath so they wouldn't be breaking the sabbath. Whenever you tagged someone, you had to say a bible verse or it didn't count. Or, something like that, I don't remember. A lot of kids just used "Jesus Wept."

For the Maxwells, instead of a "get out of jail free" card, you could have a "get out of hell free" card that you can only use when you draw the Jesus card.

We weren't allowed 'real' cards at some of my relatives' houses--so we played things like animal SNAP. HAve you ever played Animal SNAP? VIOLENT. We would walk away battered and bruised and with stinging hands, but we didn't have the evil of those clubs and hearts and spades :P!

Animal snap is great! Violent and fun. :twisted:

My parents didn't allow "real" cards either. We were allowed to play Rook AKA Missionary Poker. So ridiculous! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rook_(card_game)

My parents would probably not have allowed Rook if they had known the deck was based on French Tarot cards! :lol:

There was a board game called Teen Choices (iirc) that was heavily marketed to Catholic communities years ago. It was a basically a Q&A game to teach morals. My confirmation class used it several times.

Animal snap is great! Violent and fun. :twisted:

*snip*

Did you have anyone who was a 'psych you out!' sort of player?

My Baptist Sunday School Teacher grandma was the player who would fake slapping the deck but pull back before she touched it to watch all of her grandkids smack down on each other for no reason. :lol:

Living in MI, we also did euchre. Apparently, if you throw away the 1/2 of the deck that you don't need (because euchre doesn't use about 1/2 of the deck of playing cards), it's no longer evil? at least to some people.

I'm Jewish, but when I was little my cousins had a game called Mitzvah Monopol. It was like monopoly only you built synagogues instead of hotels and the streets were all from Jerusalem.

That sounds like a really interesting monopoly game. (I'm Jewish too).

I guess Cards Against Humanity is right out.

I didn't realize Settlers of Catan was considered a fundie game--I only know of non-fundie people that play it.

We have a board game party once or twice a month with a bunch of fellow gamer geeks (we're mostly computer/console people but it's nice to be social and unplug). Pandemic (that might be kind of nice for the end of the world fundies but OTOH it involves scientist and doctors, so..), Betrayal at House on the Hill (supernatural/horror so no), Elder Sign (hmmm, maybe not), King of Tokyo (nope), Fluxx/We Didn't Playtest This Game (maaaybe acceptable to fundie lites), Tokaido (non violent/sexy, but probably a no). I could see Fundies doing 7 Wonders though...we have played a ton more but the aforementioned are regulars.

My BiL and family have a biblical versions of Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly. They don't play Monopoly to the proper rules though because then the children would lose and that would not be good for their self confidence.

Along the same lines, I watched a famteam video last night where the older boys invented a courtroom game. They took on the roles of prosecutor, defence lawyer, etc and the younger ones were the jury. It was the most painful of their videos I have ever watched! I was on my schools mock trial team for several years. Acting out courtroom scenes and the debating that goes with it can be great fun and is a great educational tool. Somehow the Arndts turned it into something awkward.

My BiL and family have a biblical versions of Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly. They don't play Monopoly to the proper rules though because then the children would lose and that would not be good for their self confidence.

Along the same lines, I watched a famteam video last night where the older boys invented a courtroom game. They took on the roles of prosecutor, defence lawyer, etc and the younger ones were the jury. It was the most painful of their videos I have ever watched! I was on my schools mock trial team for several years. Acting out courtroom scenes and the debating that goes with it can be great fun and is a great educational tool. Somehow the Arndts turned it into something awkward.

Seriously? People do that? I mean, I've heard of "taking it easy," on the kids - not being completely ruthless. However, in my family, if you are old enough to play, you are old enough to lose. And chances are pretty good that someone will change the rules as the game goes on.

I swear I am not making this up. I always have to say that when I tell people stories of the Christian school I taught at...

Several teachers used a Bible trivia board game in their rooms, especially in the upper elementary/middle school grades. Until a group of parents got upset about it because a Bible trivia game might make the kids think the Bible is trivial.

I hate monopoly due to my brother and dad way to serious for it to be fun. I love the card game phase ten . But I know i own a board game that fundies probably would not like - Totally gross science board game

I guess Cards Against Humanity is right out.

I didn't realize Settlers of Catan was considered a fundie game--I only know of non-fundie people that play it.

We have a board game party once or twice a month with a bunch of fellow gamer geeks (we're mostly computer/console people but it's nice to be social and unplug). Pandemic (that might be kind of nice for the end of the world fundies but OTOH it involves scientist and doctors, so..), Betrayal at House on the Hill (supernatural/horror so no), Elder Sign (hmmm, maybe not), King of Tokyo (nope), Fluxx/We Didn't Playtest This Game (maaaybe acceptable to fundie lites), Tokaido (non violent/sexy, but probably a no). I could see Fundies doing 7 Wonders though...we have played a ton more but the aforementioned are regulars.

There is a small expansion for Fluxx that is Christian.

I, however, am partial to the Monty Python version.

I think I mentioned this before. Both of the Pointer Sisters' parents were ministers(Church of God, IIRC), and among the many things they weren't allowed were dice, even in board games--they could only have games with spinners. So if a game with dice happened to make it into the house, their father would throw the dice away and they would have to make their own spinner.

The pieces in Settlers of the Catan are hexagons. Hexagons have 6 sides. 6 is the number of the Devil, therefore Settlers of Catan is a Satanic game. :naughty:

-Book of Tayrn

I miss her. :(

I think I mentioned this before. Both of the Pointer Sisters' parents were ministers(Church of God, IIRC), and among the many things they weren't allowed were dice, even in board games--they could only have games with spinners. So if a game with dice happened to make it into the house, their father would throw the dice away and they would have to make their own spinner.

I was just telling someone that the other day! (They asked me why on earth I would know that and looked at me weird. Which is why I am here.)

The pieces in Settlers of the Catan are hexagons. Hexagons have 6 sides. 6 is the number of the Devil, therefore Settlers of Catan is a Satanic game. :naughty:

-Book of Tayrn

I miss her. :(

My grandson (12) wanted to buy trivial pursuit, but that has a circle with six pieces. Instead, I bought him Numerology for Christians (ASIN: B008GTX2C0) and we discussed it over hot cocoa, which begins with "H," just like the holy spirit!

-Apocryphal book of Taryn

Archived