IGNORED

Bill Nye and Ken Ham Creation/Evolution Debate

Ralar

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Bill Nye "The Science Guy" is set to visit Kentucky to debate evolution and biblical creation with the founder of the Creation Museum. Ken Ham wrote on his Facebook page Thursday that he will square off Feb. 4 with Nye, the former host of a popular science TV show for youths.

The event is likely to attract plenty of attention in scientific and faith circles, as Nye is a high-profile advocate of science education and Ham is a respected leader among Christians who believe the Bible's origin story is a factual account of the Earth's beginnings.

http://wtop.com/541/3534799/Bill-Nye-to-visit-Creation-Museum-for-debate

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that, and I only wish that the event was going to be held at a neutral venue. I'd love to see Bill Nye eviscerate Ken Ham - but I don't want to contribute to the Creation Museum's coffers even under those circumstances.

OMG, I loooove Bill Nye. I still can't believe my mother allowed me to watch his show when I was growing up (clearly, as usual, she didn't give a fuck as long as appearances were kept up, but that's another story). I hope this is recorded and posted for public consumption, because I have no doubt Nye will eviscerate Ham.

And yes, he did a fantastic job of making science accessible and interesting for kids. I grew up as Mr. Wizard was still broadcast every day and Bill Nye was becoming popular, and IMHO Bill Nye was far more interesting.

It's pointless really no way ham will do anything but ham it up. How can you teach a toddler evolution ? Better luck teaching a pig to fly.

Really this is just ham trying to bring more attention to his entertainment museum.

Interesting that he's doing this. I never saw his show but did he make science easy to understand for kids?

My kids (elementary age) love him. We get his videos from the library and they watch them over and over. The style in the videos is a little dated (mid 90's) but the science is sound and easy to understand.

He is very against creationism in schools and regularly speaks out against it. I am curious if he is earning a speaking engagement fee for going to this event, or if he is just debating on principle. I also wonder what sort of moderation is going to occur. I would love to see a video of it.

The thing is no matter what happens the Christians will think ham won and you know who everyone else will know who won. But still it could be fun.

Interesting that he's doing this. I never saw his show but did he make science easy to understand for kids?

At the school I used to teach at, on very cold days they wouldn't run the schoolbuses so, at best, we had half our students. One day, I had very few of my kids in my grade ten science class, so I popped in a few Bill Nye episodes I had on DVD. They kids FLIPPED out. And, when the ones who were absent found out what they had missed, they BEGGED me to let them watch too.

At the school I used to teach at, on very cold days they wouldn't run the schoolbuses so, at best, we had half our students. One day, I had very few of my kids in my grade ten science class, so I popped in a few Bill Nye episodes I had on DVD. They kids FLIPPED out. And, when the ones who were absent found out what they had missed, they BEGGED me to let them watch too.

When I was a kid, Bill Nye videos were an extra treat. Usually they were reserved for days when there was a sub. Of course, watching a video is usually better than classwork, but a lot of those videos were sooooo boring and dry. Bill Nye made his show entertaining and educational. He was a very important part of many millenial's childhoods.

I don't know why he bothers...evolution is too complicated for them to understand.

My kids went to school in Kansas, so they had to learn evolution in private religious school. I shit you not.

I cant wait to hear them whip out the 8000 year old dinosaur or hear the explanation for the entire world being flooded. PLEASE let this be televised!

I learned about evolution in a private Catholic school, not all Christian religions are believers in a literal interpretation of Genesis. I could possibly go, but I probably won't.

I learned about evolution in a private Catholic school, not all Christian religions are believers in a literal interpretation of Genesis. I could possibly go, but I probably won't.

Ken Haim(Spelling?) would not consider you a Christian. Seriously, these fundies believe that all Christians think exactly like them.

edited to make my meaning more clear

It will probably be like the people who try to debate Ray Comfort. Ham will just talk right over Bill Nye and ignore all the points he has made and then claim he won the debate. I would love to see it, though.

I do admire Nye for his tenacity. I'd have one hell of a concussion from banging my head against that wall.

The thing is no matter what happens the Christians will think ham won and you know who everyone else will know who won. But still it could be fun.

Agreed. I expect there might also be parts of it where the logic hits a brick wall with something to the effect of "You only think that because Satan"…

Regardless, if this debate/discussion is videotaped, I would love to watch it!

I want to go! I might be able to. If I can, I'll let FJERS know what happens!

I grew up (Dad still lives in the house) about 4 miles away from the Creation Museum. I would love to see this, but I think it would be frustrating. It's not the most liberal area and I'm sure the crowd will be biased towards Ham.

Of course Ham will claim victory, but creationists will let their kids watch it, and Bill Nye, whose job is making science click with kids, will lay a lot of little niggling factoids and logical points in those kids brains. Someday, they'll bear fruit.

And, it's super super common for people who used to be fundies to say that realising how crazy creationism is was the beginning of the collapse of their whole faith, so while you get third degree burns from the stupid, it's a fight worth fighting.

Bill Nye restrains Neil DeGrasse Tyson from attacking Brian Greene.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-575 ... ling-hold/

Archived