IGNORED

Mormon Twilight? Stephanie Meyer Mormon Symbolism

thehegemon

First "new topic" post here and I don't know if it will interest anyone.

I like to look through the mormon tag on tumblr and I found this today.

It's pretty much about the mormon skin color changing scripture (pretty much if you're bad god will make you black), but in relation to Stephanie Meyer's vampires from Twilight. I thought it was an interesting connection but there are a lot more obvious things that you can find as mormon symbolism in the twilight books.

Like...the entire last book is an anti-abortion tirade.

What do you folks think?

http://mormon-twilight.tumblr.com/post/69326111566/mormons-and-twilight-vegetarian-vampires-and-the-word

I got a kick out of the "Bella Swan: Awesome LDS Daughter checklist".

Yeah, there was some funny stuff in that. I guess I never noticed she didn't drink coffee and stuff. That's pretty obvious mormon link.

Not sure if I would describe her as chaste though, Edward had to physically force her to stay a virgin until they got married. She was a pretty wild thing.

I'd like to post a link to this very funny blog, which summarizes all the Twilight series and talks about the Mormon connections in them. But I don't know how to break the link, so google sparkledammerung and the first result is to the blog series. It's hilarious.

Yeah, there was some funny stuff in that. I guess I never noticed she didn't drink coffee and stuff. That's pretty obvious mormon link.

Not sure if I would describe her as chaste though, Edward had to physically force her to stay a virgin until they got married. She was a pretty wild thing.

Well, yeah. Because wimmin are the tempters of the flesh, doncha know?

I'd like to post a link to this very funny blog, which summarizes all the Twilight series and talks about the Mormon connections in them. But I don't know how to break the link, so google sparkledammerung and the first result is to the blog series. It's hilarious.

Just take off the http://www.

stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html

And this has nothing to do with Mormonism, but my personal favorite take on Twilight is "Alex reads Twilight."

2L253VLwH3w

Well, yeah. Because wimmin are the tempters of the flesh, doncha know?

I hate Twilight for numerous reasons, but I don't think it's accurate to characterize Bella as being a religious cautionary tale of a "tempter of the flesh" hussy. One of the few redeeming qualities the book has is that Bella is not ashamed of her libido and wanting to have sex with her boyfriend. It's also somewhat refreshing that Edward is not the stereotype of a teenage boy who is so ridiculously horny he'll have sex with anyone who consents. While there are many issues with Edward and Bella's relationship (it's abusive and Edward is a controlling asshole), their discussion of sex and what they want/don't want is surprisingly healthy.

Pretty sure the above poster was being sarcastic...

I know, and I wasn't trying to be handslappy in my response. But, I have seen similar criticisms of Twilight, and I think those miss the larger issues with the "saga." Also Twilight is one of my favorite things to hate on, so any opportunity to overanalyze and trash it is fine by me.

Archived