IGNORED

Stuff Liberal Christians Like -

InkyGirl

wesleyanarminian.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/stuff-liberal-christians-like-satire/

My brother posted this on facebook and I found it rather humerus and true. I would consider myself a liberal Christian, and some of these apply, in a funny way.

Yeah, that's all.

Thought I'd share.

:D

That didn't seem like it was written in a nice way. I don't mind these kinds of things, but when they're lightly poking fun. This was more just plain making fun. Some of it was funny, but some seemed more mean-spirited.

"LCs love Barack Obama. This is because of the color of his skin, not the content of his character. Of course, an LC will not admit this up front. If you ask an LC for specifics about what he likes about Obama, he will give you a disdainful look. If that doesn’t shut down the discussion, he will scream something about WMD’s and the evils of a theocracy. If you point out that Obama started a war in Libya, supports abortion, and is spending your kid’s money today, he will accuse you of being a racist."

I hate this kind of stuff. A lot of conservatives like to pretend that the only reason people like Obama is because he's black, and it's just obnoxious and offensive.

That didn't seem like it was written in a nice way. I don't mind these kinds of things, but when they're lightly poking fun. This was more just plain making fun. Some of it was funny, but some seemed more mean-spirited.

"LCs love Barack Obama. This is because of the color of his skin, not the content of his character. Of course, an LC will not admit this up front. If you ask an LC for specifics about what he likes about Obama, he will give you a disdainful look. If that doesn’t shut down the discussion, he will scream something about WMD’s and the evils of a theocracy. If you point out that Obama started a war in Libya, supports abortion, and is spending your kid’s money today, he will accuse you of being a racist."

I hate this kind of stuff. A lot of conservatives like to pretend that the only reason people like Obama is because he's black, and it's just obnoxious and offensive.

But it is just as offensive when being told the only reason why someone didn't vote for Obama was because he was black. :roll: Maybe they didn't like him or as much as who ever they did vote for and skin color had nothing to do with it.

I did think the "Stuff Young Calvinists Article" was funny and rang very true. They're more of a defined group. I know people who are just like that.

And frankly, if someone points out to me to me that Obama "supports abortion," which I will assume is code for "is pro-choice," my response is, "Duh, that's why I voted for him."

The pro-choice Catholic, the rarest of the birds ... ;)

Some was true and made me laugh, like Daily Show/NPR/Colbert Report at the beginning because that's true for me, and I definitely think Fox news is awful, but really it just seemed to get more and more mean-spirited as it went on, and so not true. I'm with Rachel333 on it overall. I shared with one of my liberal Christian friends and she agreed - also she's not American so she really didn't get a lot of the references either. We both use NIV (but not strictly or only, we'll look at other translations too), we both drink socially not to relax and not for drunken debauchery either, we both swear regardless of social justice causes, we both feel there are more ethical reasons to shop at a co-op than Walmart if possible but don't do it for authenticity, nor have I at least completely stopped going to Walmart (or Asda, here) mainly because I'm a student and short on cash for such things, I voted for Obama purely on politics - I mean seriously, Sarah Palin as VP??? - and couldn't care less about what the color of people's skin is, Rob Bell's not maybe the best at arguing but he does have some good points, we both strongly dislike megachurches because we don't see the point and think that big a church actually defies the point of going to church since we like to know our fellow congregants well, we feel for Palestine and refuse to be blind to the bad things either side does to the other, we don't just blindly go against (or support, other side) Israel and we do believe God keeps his promises, AND we prefer to be called liberal over progressive.

Shortly after reading SLCL, she said: "oh, and i'd like this fucking fly to leave my fucking room. how's that for some non social-justice related swearing, you fucking tory?" which I think sums up our joint end reaction reasonably well...

"If you point out that Obama... supports abortion"

ZOMG you know what? That's actually a big part of why people vote for him! Yes, even the religious people!

And frankly, if someone points out to me to me that Obama "supports abortion," which I will assume is code for "is pro-choice," my response is, "Duh, that's why I voted for him."

The pro-choice Catholic, the rarest of the birds ... ;)

OT, but there's a group called Catholics for Choice. They have a facebook page and everything :).

Ugggh Just Ugggh. Ok, I consider myself to be a liberal Christian, like (maybe not "love," but like) Obama, and it has nothing to do with the color of his skin. I don't agree with everything the man does but I can still respect him. That was just filled with sooooo many overgeneralizations that I don't even want to go into them, but I do feel the need to point out that supporting the legality of abortion is NOT the same as saying, "oh yay, I want every pregnant woman to go out right now and have an abortion."

Would I give this person a disdainful look if s/he asked me what I like about Obama? I hope I would be able to have a rational discussion, but with some people you just can't, so snark and disdainful looks it is.

Archived