IGNORED

Christian School Wants To Ban Students With LGBT Family

doggie

It never amazes me how the bible can be used as a tool for hate judgment and stupidity. Of course in doing this they are not following the bible but as usual picking the parts they want and ignoring the rest. These Christians need to read and follow the bible not use it as a hammer to beat up others. This is how I know god could not have written the bible since no one can seem to understand and follow it.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... oral-code/

A new school policy, announced Wednesday via a letter sent to parents, reserves the right to deny admission to any student whose “home life†opposes or counters biblical principles — for example, any practice or support of homosexuality.

Here’s the portion of the official statement from the school barring any child with gay “influences†from attending. First, the “moral reasoning†behind such a decision:

An integral part of Myrtle Grove Christian School’s mission is to foster spiritual development and a biblical worldview in the lives of its students. This includes leading students to develop a biblical understanding of morality and to pursue a life that is governed by the biblical moral code. The school works in partnership with families to achieve these desired outcomes, which necessitates that both the school and home come under the authority of God for the benefit of the student.

(For the record, I can name a number of high-profile Christians whose lives are most certainly not governed by a “biblical moral code,†if by any moral code at all. But how much can we trust the Bible on morality, anyway?)

Then, the official kicking-out of the gays:

For this reason, the school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or to discontinue enrollment of a student if the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home or the activities of the student are counter to or are in opposition to the biblical lifestyle the school teaches. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, participating in, supporting, or affirming sexual immorality, homosexual activity, or bisexual activity; promoting such practices; or being unable to support the moral principles of the school.

It is beyond me how school officials would go about finding out this information about a child, which might be the most frightening part. Sure, if a kid shows up on the first day of class with two moms, that’ll do it, but where does it stop? Is the principal sneaking around to figure out who has a gay uncle? Searching social networks to see which female students have girlfriends? Personally, I wouldn’t put it past them.

The letter from the school is quick to denounce “our culture†for its increasing acceptance of LGBT people, even if administrators don’t want to say outright that they’re blatantly homophobic:

As our culture’s view of morality has shifted further and further away from a biblical understanding, our school board has had to consider the limits of school-family partnerships within that culture. The question is, at what point are a family’s moral affirmations or lifestyles far enough away from the biblical center that we cannot hold hands in partnership?

This phrasing clearly targets children with same-sex parents, though the policy will of course affect LGBT students (or those perceived to be LGBT) themselves. Oh, and last, but not least, MGCS wants you to know that it’s not homophobic. No, really. No problems here. Just doing what the Bible said:

This policy should not be construed as a universal statement on how the Christian community should relate with the world or address issues of morality. It is certainly not intended as a statement of condemnation. MGCS is well known as a community of grace, and we freely extend that grace to all of our neighbors.

(Except the gay ones?! Read on.)

But we are also well known as an institution which stands firmly on the truth of the Holy Bible, and we will always be governed by its principles.

Nope, nope, nope. This doesn’t even fall into the love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin category that most anti-gay Christian rhetoric tries to cling to in the hopes of seeming a little more relevant. This is telling LGBT kids and their parents outright that they are not welcome in this community, and that one interpretation of one antiquated book is more important than their families and their children’s education.

As is always the case with these types of stories, I’m left with one overarching question: Why in the world would same-sex parents want to send their kids to a school like this in the first place?

As is always the case with these types of stories, I’m left with one overarching question: Why in the world would same-sex parents want to send their kids to a school like this in the first place?

They probably wouldn't. I'd be more worried about a student who realizes they are gay or who has a gay sibling (i.e. would a school throw a kid out because his/her parents didn't throw out a sibling who comes out etc?)

This touches the core of something serious. The only thing "Christian" is Christians. There is no such thing as a "Christian school" "Christian Business" or "Christian Club". Can Christians run businesses, attend school? Of course. But if the basis of Christian is belief in Jesus as God's son and a relationship with him, there is no place for institutions to have a personal relationship with God. Yes, even "churches" as a place. The Bible says that followers were THE church, as one, who met everywhere. People are the church, not a building or your church or my church... As if we own them! This way of speaking must die off, it is no where in the Bible. There are people out there reading and following, but you won't see them as the loud flashy ones. They are the believers that read and love quietly.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (KJV)

It isn't qualifed by whoever believes in him and isn't gay or doesn't wear pants or only goes to an IFB church is it?

I do not believe the bible is the literal word of god. I'm not sure whether I believe in the Christian god but my personal interpretation is god saw that the rules of the old testament were exclusionary so he sent down Jesus with the message, "Forget all that!. Love me and love each other! Simple" It's the fundies who've taken a simple message and complicated it beyond all belief turning the religion exclusionary again.

I think the most disturbing part is the word "support" in that letter. That reads tome that they can kick a kid out of school not only for their ( or their parents) actions,but also for their beliefs. So while I doubt any LGBT parent would send their child there, what about parents who believe in marriage equality?

Personally, I hope they have to kick everyone out and the school is forced to close.

A colleague of mine goes to a Catholic law school and sends her 4 y/o to church pre-K. She just had her second child with her partner. I'm just saying, it does happen.

She doesn't agree with everything (For example, she had to say she was single to apply, yet the school counted both moms' incomes in figuring tuition), but her daughter is happy there, people are kind to her, and it's better than Head Start or public pre-K.

I heard of a case a few years ago where two moms were asked to take their son out of a Catholic preschool because "we didn't want to have to tell him that his family was sinful"(paraphrase; can't remember the exact wording). :evil: :angry-banghead:

A colleague of mine goes to a Catholic law school and sends her 4 y/o to church pre-K. She just had her second child with her partner. I'm just saying, it does happen.

She doesn't agree with everything (For example, she had to say she was single to apply, yet the school counted both moms' incomes in figuring tuition), but her daughter is happy there, people are kind to her, and it's better than Head Start or public pre-K.

Why is it better than headstart or a public preK? And I doubt she would qualify for headstart regardless. My child who has hearing issues is in a 2 year old headstart.President Obama visited my older child's public preK because of the extremely high quality. Do you happen to know anything about the programs or are you just running your mouth?

According to the bible everyone is sinful so why are they singling one sin over another?

I'm not sure that was the term they used(it was a while ago), but they clearly meant "His family isn't made up of two heterosexual married parents, so he can't go to school here."

Why is it better than headstart or a public preK? And I doubt she would qualify for headstart regardless. My child who has hearing issues is in a 2 year old headstart.President Obama visited my older child's public preK because of the extremely high quality. Do you happen to know anything about the programs or are you just running your mouth?

It's different every place, but as I live in the city, public school quality is (though better than in many other states) varied. I'm repeating what my friend has said; as partner and I are hoping to start a family eventually, I've asked all kinds of different questions of her. I'm glad your child found a good place to be, though. I'm open to considering people's different experiences, but I don't "run my mouth." In fact, I read most of the threads, and only comment on maybe 10-20% of them. Now, back to studying for grad school! I really need to make sure all of my course outlines are in good shape, but I get distracted :roll:

My dad is the president of the local Christian high school school board (affiliated with a fundy lite IFB church). He was thrilled when my daughter was in 6th grade because he was sure that I would enroll her in the Christian school when she began 7th grade. I looked at him and explained that she would never attend a school where she would be taught that families like hers are "wrong."

My daughter doesn't know her father (because he just wasn't ready to be a dad). My boyfriend of 14 years is her dad in every sense of the word...we have been together since before she was born. Our family works for us and that's what matters. But I most certainly won't PAY TUITION to send her to a school that is closed minded and hurtful.

It's different every place, but as I live in the city, public school quality is (though better than in many other states) varied. I'm repeating what my friend has said; as partner and I are hoping to start a family eventually, I've asked all kinds of different questions of her. I'm glad your child found a good place to be, though. I'm open to considering people's different experiences, but I don't "run my mouth." In fact, I read most of the threads, and only comment on maybe 10-20% of them. Now, back to studying for grad school! I really need to make sure all of my course outlines are in good shape, but I get distracted :roll:

Sorry. The comment and the way it was worded hit me in a sensitive spot. I would suggest as someone who has been in the same position to ask a lot of people for a variety of opinions- and even move to a good district if you have the means.

You know, this is really is the school's right, as repugnant as it may be, as long as it does not receive public money.

In my mind, this is hate speech and it should be met with no less outrage than if it were black people or Hispanic people or Catholics or any other racial/ethnic group. This kind of thing really shows how important codifying the rights of gay people really is. Without laws in place, people just continue this behavior with repercussions. Could you imagine if you changed "Homosexual" to "Black"?

You know, this is really is the school's right, as repugnant as it may be, as long as it does not receive public money.

In my mind, this is hate speech and it should be met with no less outrage than if it were black people or Hispanic people or Catholics or any other racial/ethnic group. This kind of thing really shows how important codifying the rights of gay people really is. Without laws in place, people just continue this behavior with repercussions. Could you imagine if you changed "Homosexual" to "Black"?

I could be wrong, but if it's a private religious school couldn't they screen out students/ families with different religious beliefs, like Catholics?

I could be wrong, but if it's a private religious school couldn't they screen out students/ families with different religious beliefs, like Catholics?

IIRC, it depends on whether or not the school receives any kind of government $$$. Before homeschooling became widespread, there were (and probably still are) Christian schools where the families had to adhere to a particular code of conduct outside of school. For example, if the school did not approve of movies, you couldn't take your kid to the movies. If the school didn't like rock music, you couldn't play rock music in your home. The school wanted to create an environment where all the families were on the same page and where the kids wouldn't be put in a situation where they would keep hearing about forbidden movies, music, and TV shows from kids whose parents were more permissive.

There have been cases of Christian schools suspending students for attending secular concerts. I remember a case that happened a few years ago. A teenage boy who attended a Christian high school had a girlfriend that attended a public school. He went to her prom and his school suspended him for doing that.

I just received the newsletter from my (Catholic) HS. In it, they list their financial report, and part of their income is 'state mandated services.' It isn't that much (total amount divided by estimated enrollment works out to be $200-250/student), but they DO receive state funding.

They also have a display of crosses out front- 'the number of babies killed each hour by abortion.' They will never receive a donation from me. (It wasn't like that when I went there more than a decade ago, I don't know what's happened).

I just received the newsletter from my (Catholic) HS. In it, they list their financial report, and part of their income is 'state mandated services.' It isn't that much (total amount divided by estimated enrollment works out to be $200-250/student), but they DO receive state funding.

They also have a display of crosses out front- 'the number of babies killed each hour by abortion.' They will never receive a donation from me. (It wasn't like that when I went there more than a decade ago, I don't know what's happened).

I would bet that those services are for disabled kids. Private schools can get money for those but that is really the child's money and follows the child and not quite the same thing

When so called Christian orgs explicitly single out homosexuality as the reason to expel someone, I always wonder if anyone thought about the implication of such a rule. I mean, a gay couple is a easy mark, but what about divorce? adultery? embezzlement? fraud? What if a parent is caught committing these acts? Would these same so called Christians be so quick to kick the CHILD out? Or what most feel it's blatantly unfair to make a child pay for the (supposed) sin of his parents? I bet most of these same people would never consider kicking a student out if said student found out her parents were divorcing....but that's because many of the same people running these institutions are themselves divorced and don't consider their own sins terribly bad...but gay! Nope, can't have that.....

IIRC, it depends on whether or not the school receives any kind of government $$$. Before homeschooling became widespread, there were (and probably still are) Christian schools where the families had to adhere to a particular code of conduct outside of school. For example, if the school did not approve of movies, you couldn't take your kid to the movies. If the school didn't like rock music, you couldn't play rock music in your home. The school wanted to create an environment where all the families were on the same page and where the kids wouldn't be put in a situation where they would keep hearing about forbidden movies, music, and TV shows from kids whose parents were more permissive.

Yep, they sure can. My IFB private school had the same sort of rules!

When so called Christian orgs explicitly single out homosexuality as the reason to expel someone, I always wonder if anyone thought about the implication of such a rule. I mean, a gay couple is a easy mark, but what about divorce? adultery? embezzlement? fraud? What if a parent is caught committing these acts? Would these same so called Christians be so quick to kick the CHILD out? Or what most feel it's blatantly unfair to make a child pay for the (supposed) sin of his parents? I bet most of these same people would never consider kicking a student out if said student found out her parents were divorcing....but that's because many of the same people running these institutions are themselves divorced and don't consider their own sins terribly bad...but gay! Nope, can't have that.....

When I went to my parochial school, one of my teachers always talked about how the divorced parents will go to hell if they get married again. So no, I wouldn't be surprised if this Christian school started banning divorced couples.

They do realize that unwed parents and solo parents also fit that bill don't they? (Not that I think too many of those parents would be knocking on the doors of a school that follows such a narrow religious view)

I would bet that those services are for disabled kids. Private schools can get money for those but that is really the child's money and follows the child and not quite the same thing

For the record the public schools in my area at the best suck so my kids go to private school. If you look at the amount of money that the school gets from "public" funds it is relatively high not because they get a set amount from the government but because a child that is at or below the poverty line qualifies for assistance if their parents choose to send them to private school. My kids also receive speech therapy and reading help which would technically come from the public funding. So looking a school up online to see if it receives public funds doesn't always tell the full story. I live in a "disadvantaged" area (how I hate that term) and so the private school my kids attend has a lot of public assistance. However the alternative in my area is sending them to school where every few months someone brings a gun to school and shoots someone it has it's benefits, just a few weeks ago we had a shooting on the grounds of the school less than 1 mile from me. Forgive me for being hesitant to send my kids there. I love my neighborhood and my neighbors but if you go a half mile out I live in gang land.

Now as the mom who raised hell with the school board when one teacher went off book and said that any child with gay parents was going to hell...this school should stick to what it was doing, teaching children the abc's and leaving the religion out of it unless their bigotry is fully disclosed on the applications.

Archived