IGNORED

Return of the Daughters- AWESOME

Talitha Cumi

Oh my God, thanks to Bookworm89 who by God's grace sent me the DVD so I could be convicted of God's leading, my headship and I watched it last night. Below are our comments. (All quotes are paraphrased because I'm not about to watch it again.)

They don't just stay at home, they go out, they drive places.

Headship: What are you freakin' kidding me? Hey, we let them out! We let them drive!

Me: In your FACE, Islam!

I love having her here, managing my money.

Me: So I don't have to pay someone!

She knows more now than I did when I graduated from college!

Headship: Like cooking, cleaning, shopping... we let her drive!

Kelly Bradrick, now nine months pregnant, sat down with us...

Me: In the six years since, she's had like four other kids. (Note: I may be incorrect on this.)

Headship: What?

Me: Yeah.

Headship: Are any of them twins?

Me: No.

Headship: Is that even possible? How is that possible?

Mexico is a vast spiritual desert...

Headship: *laughs hysterically* MEXICO?

Me: 96% Catholic, I think.

Headship: Oh, well that explains it. Wrong kind of Christian.

They told me "I graduated from college and I don't know how to boil water!"

Headship: You know what they need? [link=http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/cooking-terms]Cooking terms![/link]

Scott and Kelly Bradrick's son was born three days later. They named him Triumph.

:lol: :clap:

This DVD was my intro to all things Botkin/VF/fundie. (I found it in the line of duty, at my library.) The come-hither, pouty-lipped photo of the Botkinettes on the back liner is worth the price of admission.

You really do have to watch it to believe it. A-S and E speak and act as if they've been zapped with a stun gun - they have the robo/Stepford routine down cold.

Don't these people know that you can go to university AND learn life skills at the same time? I mean really, who doesn't know how to boil water? And if you really don't, it takes about two seconds to learn. Cleaning a house is not rocket science. Cooking isn't brain surgery. I'm graduating in a couple months and I can cook, clean, balance a budget, and yes, even boil water.

I cant believe there are people who graduated from college yet cannot boil water.

How exactly do they think normal people live? Its not all having drug fueled orgies and abortions, us worldly people have to learn how to cook and clean as well. Just because we do not train our children from birth to cook and clean, doesnt mean they dont learn-parents can teach a child to cook and do chores even if they dont homeschool them. Just because there are women who work, doesnt mean they live in a messy house and order a pizza every night, it just means that housework has to be done around work.

If a person has a desire to learn and the tools to do so they can learn just about anything. Cooking is a very easy process of following instructions, and if someone managed to get through college I'm confident they can handle cooking. Also with child rearing most people figure it out even if they weren't around a lot of kids prior to having their own.

I didn't even know how to turn on an oven when I arrived at college. (My mother was a control freak about her kitchen.) Know what I did? Joined a cooking club. Problem solved.

I'm not trying to defend stay at home daughterhood by any means, but saying I don't know how to boil water is one of those hyperbolic statements that means I don't know how to cook at all. I had to teach myself how to cook from scratch. I knew nothing about it by the time I was 18. Honestly my greatest culinary accomplishment was probably making boxed macaroni and cheese. I got cookbooks and taught myself, so it's all good now. I think they have a point that part of a child's growing up experience should include basic life skills like cooking. Where they go wrong is insisting school and work means you can never learn these skills.

Oh, I just have to see the documentary someday. I think because it's kind of an outgrowth of things only beginning to percolate in fundie when I was there, I'm morbidly curious to see the form these ideas have taken on.

I own this DVD. I was still toying with VF when it came out.

The segment where Jennie is talking about how girls have no need to go to college....I must cover my ears from the screaming irony.

I went to college with Jennie. We were casual friends. She seemed PLENTY happy to be there. But I know, I know, AFTER she graduated, she "saw the light" and repented of all that evil fun she'd had on campus. :violin:

I also don't really believe her little story of being mocked for saying she wanted to be a homemaker. It was a tiny Christian college, plenty of girls were there to get their Mrs. degree.

Boil water? We're talking a pot, water, possibly some salt and a burner, here -- right? Is there something especially complicated about boiling water that I'm missing which isn't straightforward? :?

Boil water? We're talking a pot, water, possibly some salt and a burner, here -- right? Is there something especially complicated about boiling water that I'm missing which isn't straightforward? :?

It's really just a colloquialism for not knowing how to cook at all-just hyperbole.

However, I will join the ranks of those who are stumped by why one needs to be homeschooled/a SAHD/raised by a SAHM in order to learn how to cook. I learned basics from my working mom, and took over dinner a couple nights a week in my early teens (mostly because I became a vegetarian, and wanted something more varied than what was in my parents' repertoire). And I don't consider my husband's mom a great cook at all, but he managed to teach himself, and is now a professional (and amazing) chef.

Thanks for the bit of insight into her time at college - why am I not surprised that she seemed to enjoy it all & that the college was hardly the bastion of godlessness she likes to imply.

Jennie, as usual, is full of it and certainly not above exaggerating or -- gasp -- telling an untruth about her past.

Jennie Chancey - bloomers on fire! :liar:

Thanks for the bit of insight into her time at college - why am I not surprised that she seemed to enjoy it all & that the college was hardly the bastion of godlessness she likes to imply.

Jennie, as usual, is full of it and certainly not above exaggerating or -- gasp -- telling an untruth about her past.

Jennie Chancey - bloomers on fire! :liar:

Pfffft - that's a laugh. We had mandatory chapel attendance twice a week. It was about as squeaky-clean as a college could be without being BJU or Liberty, IMO. Yes, some people drank off campus, there were a few instances of someone being caught with the opposite sex in their room outside visiting hours and they were disciplined, etc. There was also a lot of hypocrisy when it came to sex. One particular instance really fumed me - two different young women got pregnant. One chose not to get married right away, and was noticeably judged for it. The other married her boyfriend over the summer and everyone embraced them as the perfect little family the next fall. :roll:

:lol: :clap:

This DVD was my intro to all things Botkin/VF/fundie. (I found it in the line of duty, at my library.) The come-hither, pouty-lipped photo of the Botkinettes on the back liner is worth the price of admission.

You really do have to watch it to believe it. A-S and E speak and act as if they've been zapped with a stun gun - they have the robo/Stepford routine down cold.

AS had to be on Valium. I noticed E seemed nervous (licking her lips before speaking) but AS was high as a kite.

I didn't even know how to turn on an oven when I arrived at college. (My mother was a control freak about her kitchen.) Know what I did? Joined a cooking club. Problem solved.

Hah, mine was too. She's a great cook, but God forbid her kids make a mess in her kitchen!

I knew how to cook from boxes, but didn't really start cooking from scratch till I was out of school and living with my boyfriend. ( :o ) We were spending too much money on eating out, so we decided to cook for ourselves. We bought The Joy of Cooking and went at it. Now I'm usually the one who roasts the Thanksgiving turkey for the family. I made an amazing cherry pie for 4th of July. For a while, I was making my own sourdough bread, but it really doesn't taste as sourdough made on the West Coast, so I went back to yeast. And yes, Botkinettes, I have a career, I am the boss/grandboss of men, and I outearn my headship by more than 200%. Now, where are those socks I'm knitting?

Somehow I managed to finish ebil public school and go to a secular ebil college and STILL managed to learn how to cook and clean from my (ebil college educated, working) mother. I still cook for my family and am teaching all my children (including my son) how to cook. My cleaning has evolved as I have now learned how to hire a cleaner!

Don't these people know that you can go to university AND learn life skills at the same time? I mean really, who doesn't know how to boil water? And if you really don't, it takes about two seconds to learn. Cleaning a house is not rocket science. Cooking isn't brain surgery. I'm graduating in a couple months and I can cook, clean, balance a budget, and yes, even boil water.

Well, if you've ever dealt with aspic, that's kind of like brain surgery...

Hah, mine was too. She's a great cook, but God forbid her kids make a mess in her kitchen!

I knew how to cook from boxes, but didn't really start cooking from scratch till I was out of school and living with my boyfriend. ( :o ) We were spending too much money on eating out, so we decided to cook for ourselves. We bought The Joy of Cooking and went at it. Now I'm usually the one who roasts the Thanksgiving turkey for the family. I made an amazing cherry pie for 4th of July. For a while, I was making my own sourdough bread, but it really doesn't taste as sourdough made on the West Coast, so I went back to yeast. And yes, Botkinettes, I have a career, I am the boss/grandboss of men, and I outearn my headship by more than 200%. Now, where are those socks I'm knitting?

Yeah, I adore my mom and she's also a dynamite cook, but to this day (I'M THIRTY) she won't so much as let me make myself a piece of toast in her kitchen when I'm visiting (I swear if she hears me open the fridge she comes running :lol:). She also doesn't quite believe that I can cook now, even though we've had her over for dinner many times and she's always complimented everything. :? Eh, what can you do. It is nice to go home from a visit laden with her homemade soup and other stuff that's total comfort food for me now, even if she is doing it because she's still not sure I can operate more than a microwave.

Archived