IGNORED

"Lil' People Fashion" blog -- it's "Fresh Modesty" for kids

TrueRebel1

Tricia from "Little House in the Hills" has launched a new blog called "Lil' People Fashion" where she posts her kid's outfits (modest and cheap, of course!), a la Olivia's "Fresh Modesty".

I don't really get it. Posting a run-of-the-mill kids outfit, and saying you got the shirt from a yard sale and the skirt from Walmart? Doesn't really inspire or benefit me. Don't get me wrong; I love fashion blogs where you actually get unique ideas for styles, combinations, and sources for buying them! But something here is just lacking...

Meaghan Carver does the same thing.

meghancarver.blogspot.com/p/faith-femininity.html

I hate the idea of these kids' growing feet in cheap shoes. I wish they'd invest in decent shoes.

I must be missing something. They just look like regular kids' clothes. The Independence day pic is cute. The rest of the outfits just aren't that cute or inspiring, imo.

I'm not getting it either. They're dressed like normal kids, plus I can't imagine anyone (other than sickos) seeing a child's clothing as immodest. Her kids are adorable though.

Did some snooping on her blog and she seems to dress in an average style as well. Certainly not immodest but definitely not what several fundies would consider to be modest. In some pics, she's wearing fitted jeans or knee-length skirts which seems like pretty standard fare for most women.

Hoo boy, she actually looks up to Olivia. Talk about a meeting of the minds!

Maybe she will also do an "awesome/awkward" every week too. No one is as big of a fan of Olivia, as Olivia herself, and the awesome/awkward drives that home week after week.

HOW is it modest to post picture after picture after picture of mugging for the camera?

The emphasis doesn't seem so much on modesty (thankfully) since her little girl is sometimes in shorts, but I don't really see the point either, except maybe that you can make cute outfits cheaply? I'm a big clothes horse but it seems to me that posting pic after pic of your own or your kids' outfits is just a way to ask for compliments.

My fat bengal weighs as much as a small child, has an inbuilt modesty outfit (fat legs + fur) & owns a santa suit (currently in tatters due to a christmas day crazy zooming through the undergrowth episode). Maybe I should submit her?

The emphasis doesn't seem so much on modesty (thankfully) since her little girl is sometimes in shorts, but I don't really see the point either, except maybe that you can make cute outfits cheaply? I'm a big clothes horse but it seems to me that posting pic after pic of your own or your kids' outfits is just a way to ask for compliments.

That's what I was thinking, that she's trying to demonstrate that your kids can look cute even on a fundie budget.

Modest children?!? Our daughters are 2.5 and 16 months. They wear shorts, tank tops, leggings, tunics, dresses....basically whatever suits the occasion and is cute. Sometimes I'll put biker shorts under the 2.5 yo's Sunday dresses, but other than that, they wear whatever. I don't get why you would want to impose arbitrary standards of modesty onto children whose bodies have nothing to cover up anyway. Weird.

Modest children?!? Our daughters are 2.5 and 16 months. They wear shorts, tank tops, leggings, tunics, dresses....basically whatever suits the occasion and is cute. Sometimes I'll put biker shorts under the 2.5 yo's Sunday dresses, but other than that, they wear whatever. I don't get why you would want to impose arbitrary standards of modesty onto children whose bodies have nothing to cover up anyway. Weird.

I think that if someone thinks an infant, toddler, or prepubescent child is immodest because their shoulders are exposed, then that's someone who should never be allowed around children as they sound like perverts.

Her point really isn't "modesty"--it's almost the opposite. She writes that she sees too many stereotypically dressed "Christian home-schooled" kids--girls with ankle-length denim skirts, crew socks, sneakers; boys looking like less-fashionable Amish--and feels bad that they're ridiculed for how they look. She wants her kids to look modern and appropriately dressed.

It's hot as hell here in southern California, and I just took my baby girl (i.e. my niece, who spends 3 nights a week with me) on a walk in overalls and no shirt. It's around 92 degrees at 7pm, when we take our walks. She got nothing but compliments from our neighbors ("she's ready for the weather!" "what a cute outfit!"). Now, I draw the line at her running around stark naked in the front yard, but she's 2.5. If anyone has an issue with her toddler chest in an age appropriate outfit, never fear. I have a baseball bat at home to protect her from pedophiles.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. By the time she gets boobs, she will be well aware that she can't wear her overalls in public with no shirt. Jeebus, let kids be kids! And, sorry to sound like a total hippie, but Auntie hangs out in the house on a hot day in her underwear ("bathing suit," according to my niece). I will not have her feel shamed because of her body. She just needs to learn there are appropriate times to show it.

I think it'd be so cool if I saw a family, and they looked modern and respectable in the same breath, and I responded, "That family looks awesome! They must be homeschooled." or... "They must be Christians!"

So maybe I live in a den of iniquity where there aren't many Christians (or homeschoolers for that matter) but when I see normal children dressed in normal clothing I don't think "They must be Christians". Christians haven't cornered the market on good or loving behaviour (or well-dressed children), unfortunately they (well, some of them) have for a particular flavour of small-minded and judgmental opinions. The only time I think "they must be Christians" is when I see ppl spouting one of those.

Archived