IGNORED

JOY! Kelly 2 chicken breasts is back!!

OkToBeTakei

generationcedar.com/main/2013/07/what-if-learning-isnt-anything-like-school.html

Well apparently she is not quiverfull but finds it hard to explain so quotes another numpty who explains it better. Apparently.

OH and she is banging on about evil schools again with gems such as....

one thing we do not have to worry about is how to educate children. We do not have to worry about curricula, lesson plans, motivating children to learn, testing them, and all the rest that comes under the rubric of pedagogy….The more we try to control it, the more we interfere.

:lol: Kelly found a quote she finds intellectual.

Or this..

I believe in the logic of people learning on their own, I recognize that schools are failing monumentally despite their best efforts, and I know that generally, kids hate school, something that should be a red flag to all of us. Admittedly though, even as I’ve been thinking outside the box for a while, I still have reservations, difficulty breaking out of my own indoctrination of “how school should be done.†Scary, isn’t it, how we can be so convinced of one thing, that even when faced with the reality that it might be wrong, we continue to cling to it. We are afraid of having our familiar methods yanked out from under us. But fear enslaves. Thus, I write and think and continue to push the questions.

No pet. You are out of yer box. Scottish for slightly unhinged.

Perhaps unschooling (as this method is best-known) is merely one color of a rainbow of ideas about the best way to educate. But at best, it cannot be ignored as a powerful theory, and conventional, test-driven methods, failing so often as they are, need to be highly scrutinized.

Unschooling? Rainbow? Lauren? That you?

So unschooling. OK.

I'm just concerned that she will be as shit at that as she is feeding her family.

I love how no one ever is actually Quiverfull. Kelly's attempt looks like it follows the usual formula.

1. Define "quiverfull" as "believing that my eternal salvation LITERALLY depends on having as many children as possible."

2. Insist that this is LEGALISM and that you believe that ONLY JESUS can save you, therefore Not Quiverfull.

Followed by mandatory doublespeak lecture:

1. The only biblical approach to children is to give up all personal autonomy and rational decision making and "leave your fertility up to God" (i.e. have lots of totally unprotected marital sex).

2. Of course, this doesn't mean that you will have eleventy children! Once in a while, women who don't use any form of birth control (including NFP) only have two or three or none and God is totally ok with that.

3. As long as no one was making any evil individual decisions about it or trying to control her own womb. You might not be a real... ahem I mean Fully Biblical and Wise Christian if you do. But you still might be saved no matter what you do. Because I have to say that or else someone might think I'm a Catholic. But really I care an awful lot about what you do.

4. But again, since I admit that salvation does not technically depend on the number of children you have, I am not quiverfull. How dare you twist my words like that?

Bonus points if they throw in any references to "I don't make the rules, God does" or "I don't interpret the Bible according to my own whims, I just read it and do what it says" or "Children are a blessing!"

Joy? No. I find it hard to laugh at her crazy anymore. She is just so much into the cave (Platon), you know? So far away from reality that I find it hard to understand that we actually live on the same planet.

Yet another home schooler who's come to the sad realization that teaching is a boatload of work, can be both physically and mentally exhausting, is not always warm fuzzies feel good and is now trying to justify not having to be burdened with teaching her kids anything.

If I were an unschooler, I would be really angry with people like Lauren, Abigail and Kelly here at appropriating the term to justify being self-absorbed, narcissistic parents.

I love how no one ever is actually Quiverfull. Kelly's attempt looks like it follows the usual formula.

1. Define "quiverfull" as "believing that my eternal salvation LITERALLY depends on having as many children as possible."

2. Insist that this is LEGALISM and that you believe that ONLY JESUS can save you, therefore Not Quiverfull.

Followed by mandatory doublespeak lecture:

1. The only biblical approach to children is to give up all personal autonomy and rational decision making and "leave your fertility up to God" (i.e. have lots of totally unprotected marital sex).

2. Of course, this doesn't mean that you will have eleventy children! Once in a while, women who don't use any form of birth control (including NFP) only have two or three or none and God is totally ok with that.

3. As long as no one was making any evil individual decisions about it or trying to control her own womb. You might not be a real... ahem I mean Fully Biblical and Wise Christian if you do. But you still might be saved no matter what you do. Because I have to say that or else someone might think I'm a Catholic. But really I care an awful lot about what you do.

4. But again, since I admit that salvation does not technically depend on the number of children you have, I am not quiverfull. How dare you twist my words like that?

Bonus points if they throw in any references to "I don't make the rules, God does" or "I don't interpret the Bible according to my own whims, I just read it and do what it says" or "Children are a blessing!"

This is perfect. :clap:

So she comes at raising kids from a philosophy that children are not autonomous human beings, that they must be disciplined into "joyful, first time obedience", and they cannot be trusted with friends outside the church social circle--but we are supposed find the fact that a lot of children don't like school as an absolute indictment of public education. Riiiight.

What I don't get about these types of homeschoolers and in schoolers is that they seem to believe that in families that go to public school when the children come home from school there is no more learning being done. People like Kelly talk about learning in the "real world" and don't seem to think that public schooled children get this experience as well. Now, I come from a family where education was very highly valued and in addition to public school we were taken places like the zoo, museum, hikes etc for fun as well as for learning. Education for most families do not stop at school.

When they talk about the success of homeschoolers after high school they use the minority of the high achievers and compared them to the low end achievers of the public schoolers. They are not comparing equals at all. If these high achiever home schoolers were in public school they would excel just as much because they are probably personally driven and have a lot of support from their families. The low achievers in public schooler would be low achievers in home school as well and may be even worse off with no to minimal education.

Just my rant for today!

What I don't get about these types of homeschoolers and in schoolers is that they seem to believe that in families that go to public school when the children come home from school there is no more learning being done. People like Kelly talk about learning in the "real world" and don't seem to think that public schooled children get this experience as well. Now, I come from a family where education was very highly valued and in addition to public school we were taken places like the zoo, museum, hikes etc for fun as well as for learning. Education for most families do not stop at school.

When they talk about the success of homeschoolers after high school they use the minority of the high achievers and compared them to the low end achievers of the public schoolers. They are not comparing equals at all. If these high achiever home schoolers were in public school they would excel just as much because they are probably personally driven and have a lot of support from their families. The low achievers in public schooler would be low achievers in home school as well and may be even worse off with no to minimal education.

Just my rant for today!

And a good rant it is!

My poor public schooled children spend lots of time at museums and other educational places, attend fancy science and athletic camps, and typically only play educational video games. My 6 year old and I used a workbook in the car last week to teach him the fundamentals of subtraction before he starts school. Poor thing. So deprived. :pray:

So she comes at raising kids from a philosophy that children are not autonomous human beings, that they must be disciplined into "joyful, first time obedience", and they cannot be trusted with friends outside the church social circle--but we are supposed find the fact that a lot of children don't like school as an absolute indictment of public education. Riiiight.

And somehow their "sin nature" completely ceases to function when it comes to their self-education process.

Kelly has posted many many times about how she has to be vigilant to mold their character every minute of every day... but their education? Oh, kids are totally capable of learning on their own initiative everything they could possibly need. And rainbows and whatever.

This is perfect. :clap:

I'm feeling convicted about carelessly using the word "unprotected." Because you don't need to be protected from a Blessing. My feministic indoctrination is showing.

Things have gotten worse in public school since I was a kid. Homeschooling is a time-eater even if you've only got two kids of school age and you looked around for the curriculum that includes the least amount of busywork and pointless handholding. Ask me how I know. I would probably have the kids in public school now and be annoyingly active in the PTA instead of homeschooling--but the staggering amount of homework and test prep required of kids these days would eat up all the time we could use on enrichment! The upper grades are buried under problem sets, essay questions, reading assignments, on and on--every week is like the run-up to finals week and the run-up to finals week is just insane. Grades that never used to get homework at all now get an hour plus of worksheets every night and book reports on top of that. Kindergarteners get homework. :wtf:

I don't know how Kelly is getting away with her way of homeschooling. Alabama does not recognize homeschooling without public school oversight. And unschooling....she may find CPS will come a knocking.

I don't understand how you can simultaneously expect your many children to be meek, obedient, quiet, conforming robots AND be the kind of curious, independent, creative thinkers who could successfully utilize non-structured, student led learning.

I have known a couple of kids who were the introverted studious type who also were intellectually voracious enough to maybe pull it off....but in general it seems like she's throwing together conflicting traits.

I don't know how Kelly is getting away with her way of homeschooling. Alabama does not recognize homeschooling without public school oversight. And unschooling....she may find CPS will come a knocking.

Alabama is an easy state. http://www.hslda.org/laws/ I live in a red state, a state with high regulation, and I still find it easy to unschool and follow the rules and comply with the oversight. I am sure she has absolutely no issues being that she lives in a yellow state, a state with very low oversight and not much regulation.

I don't understand how you can simultaneously expect your many children to be meek, obedient, quiet, conforming robots AND be the kind of curious, independent, creative thinkers who could successfully utilize non-structured, student led learning.

I couldn't agree more!

Things have gotten worse in public school since I was a kid. Homeschooling is a time-eater even if you've only got two kids of school age and you looked around for the curriculum that includes the least amount of busywork and pointless handholding. Ask me how I know. I would probably have the kids in public school now and be annoyingly active in the PTA instead of homeschooling--but the staggering amount of homework and test prep required of kids these days would eat up all the time we could use on enrichment! The upper grades are buried under problem sets, essay questions, reading assignments, on and on--every week is like the run-up to finals week and the run-up to finals week is just insane. Grades that never used to get homework at all now get an hour plus of worksheets every night and book reports on top of that. Kindergarteners get homework. :wtf:

I came from a family that did museums, zoo, travel for fun as well as learning. I also had some pretty tough teachers in the upper grades pile on the homework and every Friday was test day, but it's nothing compared to what I hear now. I don't know how my two nephews do it. Getting into a decent high school (what will getting all the right grades, test scores, hand wringing over study habits) was more insanity than I went through to get into college. Kids do need downtime as well as fun ways to learn, not just hit the books all the time. I sure as heck learned a lot of stuff just from my summer and spring vacations.

one thing we do not have to worry about is how to educate children. We do not have to worry about curricula, lesson plans, motivating children to learn, testing them, and all the rest that comes under the rubric of pedagogy….The more we try to control it, the more we interfere.

If you don't want to worry about that stuff, then send your kids to school!

Joy? No. I find it hard to laugh at her crazy anymore. She is just so much into the cave (Platon), you know? So far away from reality that I find it hard to understand that we actually live on the same planet.

I think Effie meant "JOY" in the fundie sense, of course: Jesus Others Yourself. :D

Archived