IGNORED

Justin Bieber

PennySycamore

Justin Bieber decided to pay a visit to the Anne Frank Museum while her was in Amsterdam. He wrote in the guestbook after his visit:

"Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

Even a teenage prick ought to know that is one tacky comment. Did that POS not learn a damn thing by visiting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22146859

Dumbass. If he had just left that last sentence out it would have been fine. What on earth made him think that was a good idea?

He's really young, and he's sheltered by his celebrity and surrounded by people who feed his narcissism. It doesn't really surprise me - seventeen year olds can be very self centred at the best of times. I'm actually glad that he visited the memorial, and hopefully a deeper appreciation and understanding will take root.

I read Ann Frank's diary as a pre teen, and again in high school. In high school the teacher and curriculum went to great lengths to make Ann and her family relatable to us, teens in Australia in the nineties. I didn't like it, as I felt it trivialised her experience and overlooked much of the depth of the book, but I understand the reason behind it. It wouldn't surprise me if the tour guide Beiber had focused on trying to make him relate to Anne as a teen and to her experience, so he gave her what he views as a compliment, one that the teenage girls he encounters would appreciate.

I'm not denying it's clueless and glib, just saying it's a predictable response from a young man not known for his ability to think deeply. I'm glad proof of my seventeen year old narcissism and narrow world view isn't available for the world to judge me on.

I heard about this yesterday and it really pissed me off.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a famous person or a historical figure to like your work. In college, in art class, we had to recreate a work from someone at least one generation back. There were tons of comments of "I hope [artist's name] likes it!"

Making it all about you, however, is not okay. It's like saying "I'm sorry that you and yours died but you didn't get to appreciate me!"

Justin Beiber really needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

After his comments on rape, nothing Justin Bieber does really surprises me.

(Seriously - google it if you don't believe me - he said “Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don’t know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.†This was after he said he didn't believe in abortion.)

Sorry for the thread jack. Continue!

Why was anyone asking his opinion an abortion? He was sixteen or so back then, I didn't even think about abortion at 16. He was probably just spouting what he heard elsewhere, because admitting he had no idea woudn't sound cool.

That said, he's not 16 anymore. Idiot.

Some people say we should cut Bieber some slack because he's only 19. Nineteen-year-olds serve in the military; they go to college and hopefully develop strong critical thinking skills. Personally, I think Bieber is a coddled, spoiled narcissist who has been enabled by "yes" men and women for a good portion of his life. Hopefully, he'll grow up.

Now, I'm just waiting for the Biebs to tweet how he hoped the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings were Beliebers. :roll:

Some people say we should cut Bieber some slack because he's only 19. Nineteen-year-olds serve in the military; they go to college and hopefully develop strong critical thinking skills. Personally, I think Bieber is a coddled, spoiled narcissist who has been enabled by "yes" men and women for a good portion of his life. Hopefully, he'll grow up.

Now, I'm just waiting for the Biebs to tweet how he hoped the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings were Beliebers. :roll:

Agreed 100%

On one hand, Anne Frank loved Hollywood and had pictures of movie stars on her wall. Plus she was 14. So I can kinda see where Bieber was coming from.

On the other hand, it's offensive to use someone else's tragedy to promote yourself.

I hope this forced a bunch of Beliebers to learn about Anne Frank, though.

On one hand, Anne Frank loved Hollywood and had pictures of movie stars on her wall. Plus she was 14. So I can kinda see where Bieber was coming from.

On the other hand, it's offensive to use someone else's tragedy to promote yourself.

I hope this forced a bunch of Beliebers to learn about Anne Frank, though.

I agree. I also think that we've all said something and subsequently realized that it didn't come out quite like we intended, particularly when we were adolescents. Most of us are fortunate enough not to have had those moments broadcast by the media.

I'm not a Justin Bieber fan and I think it was a dumb thing to say, but I'm willing to write it off as an honest mistake.

What floored me was how many young people had no idea who Anne Frank was.

Do they not include her book in middle- and high school reading lists, anymore?

The problem with The Diary of Anne Frank is that it is not about the Holocaust. A lot of schools have moved toward books that are actually about it such as Elie Wiesel's Night. Having worked in Holocaust education, I agree with this. Ideally, there would be room for both but, unfortunately, teachers and curriculum coordinators often have to make a choice

Interesting, louisa05. I've not read Night but will check it out.

Miss Frank's diary galvanized me, at a young 14, to an abhorrence of prejudice. It was absolutely a visceral experience to realize that girls my age, from middle-class backgrounds very similar to my own, were nothing but vermin to the Nazis. I'll bow to your experience in teaching about the holocaust, but my first thought is that "Night" must be an amazing tome to be able to do what "Diary" did, especially in the hands of 8th- and 9th-graders. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Calling Justin Bieber an asshole is an insult to anuses. There's a point where you're too old to say stupid shit in public and have it overlooked, and I think Justin Bieber has reached that age.

Archived