IGNORED

Jessica Simpson's dad (ex Baptist minister) comes out!

clarinetpower

Gotta say I'm surprised. I'm glad he's able to be who he really is now, but I feel terribly for his wife and family if they were blindsided by this. It's got to hurt.

I'm not surprised because I'm never surprised when ex-preachers come out (it seems to be a given), but I do feel bad for him and his family. Him, because that had to be difficult, and his family because this is not who they thought he was.

I have to say, I'm not surprised. He always pinged my gaydar a bit. I do feel bad for his family, though.

He pinged me too. And how he used to rhapsodize about Jessica's breasts in a way no straight man (father) could without causing an incest investigation and yet thought nothing of it was really the big ping for me

Not surprised either.

However I wonder how long until he becomes Xgay lol?

Do we know where they all lie on the conservative spectrum? I mean, in relation to gay relationships, republicanism, and all that other "unchristian" stuff?

I know they're from Texas. And I remember on an episode of Newlyweds, when they were babysitting, they saw Bush on TV and Jessica said to the baby, "Looook! There's your LEADER! Mr. Bush!!" And MTV added a soundbyte of the baby sobbing as soon as she did.

He pinged me too. And how he used to rhapsodize about Jessica's breasts in a way no straight man (father) could without causing an incest investigation and yet thought nothing of it was really the big ping for me

OMG--I remember this, and thought he was yet another hyper-religious father who was so repressed that he didn't realize how inappropriate it was to talk about his daughter's "DD puppies." He never pinged my (rather minimal) gaydar, though.

I don't know if this is surprising to me or not. He was certainly an unusual guy, with the breast talk and all. The thing that blew me away is that Joe is 54 (I think) and the guy is like 21. That kind of creeps me out.

And how he used to rhapsodize about Jessica's breasts in a way no straight man (father) could without causing an incest investigation and yet thought nothing of it was really the big ping for me

My first thought was that this explains why that didn't feel inappropriate to him.

Not surprised either.

However I wonder how long until he becomes Xgay lol?

Then he can come out to them all over again, when he gets tired of denying his true self. He's not a spring chicken, anymore. Maybe that was one of his motivating factors for coming out in the first place? Why couldn't you have realized this, Joe, before you wasted so much of your wife's life? I feel so bad for the family if they were, indeed, blindsided.

SURELY there must have been clues? Maybe now, in retrospect, those close to him will see all the clues.

My first thought was that this explains why that didn't feel inappropriate to him.

Haha, that's the first thing I thought of, too. Still creepy even if he's gay, IMO.

I'm happy for him, I guess, but these situations are really tough for everyone involved. This is why people need to feel free to be gay from the beginning and not encouraged to enter heterosexual marriages (looking at you, fundies).

Wonder how long it will take for Greg to start spamming every news site covering the story, and make at least one Facebook post about it.

A friends dad ran off with another man when she was in her early teens. I don't know anybody else who has been more affected by the parents divorce. It goes to show that gay rights and acceptance are important to prevent people from feeling they HAVE to marry somebody of the opposite gender. It causes so much pain down the track when they get sick of living a lie.

That said my aunties GF was happily married with two children for a time. She got divorced and found a life partner who happened to be female. Her children don't resent her because she wasn't lying to them and their father.

Not surprised that he's gay, but a little surprised he actually came out. I guess secular, gay-friendly Hollywood won out over fundie-lite Texas. That said, his sexuality is the least of this family's problems.

I knew a former Methodist minister that belonged to the local MCC congregation. In fact, many of the men who were members had been married to women before they came out. That included the pastor and a former drama professor at Bob Jones U.

I wouldn't be surprised, but this is still in the "alleged" and rumour stage....he's been denying it for awhile.

Yes, that's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure since the beginning of the year there were rumors he is gay. The couple had already separated, though he denied being gay. It seems at first Jessica didn't want anything to do with him because of his lies and backing her Mom. I even remember seeing some photos of the young man in questions who caught Simpson's fancy.

I have heard gay rumors about Joe for the past couple of years. There has been crazy incest rumors about him and his daughters. I think incest rumors started after that crazy interview where he talked about Jessica's breasts.

Archived