IGNORED

Duggars and Politics?

luckylassie

I was thinking about this today, what if a Duggar (weather Jimbob or any of the kids) got success in the political arena and ended up in the White House? Would you support a Duggar presidency? I might sound like a long shot or crazy idea but just suppose.

There's no way any of them will make it that far within this generation. If they're lucky and manage to keep all their kids in the lifestyle, and they all have 20 kids that also stay in the lifestyle, and on like that, then by sheer numbers they might have a shot at success in several generations. In fact, this is their plan and they're not shy about it. Luckily for us their lifestyle has a high turnover rate and very few people who grew up in it will remain in it.

I would absolutely not vote for any Duggar unless he (because of the girls wouldn't be allowed to run) had a very very major shift in his ideology. I do not want a theocracy. The Duggars and other Dominionists want a conservative Christian theocracy. I want nothing to do with that or anything that comes with it. I think most people on this board would agree with me. Even most Christians don't want a Christian theocracy for a government.

I agree with bananacat, I don't think any Duggar would ever make it that far in politics. There have been articles that have mentioned that Smuggar is interested in politics and I don't think Smuggar or Duggar male would be successful in politics. John David seems to be interested in politics because he ran for alderman in a town council election but he lost. I think the Duggars' lifestyle, history and any past or present associations they have with certain groups would hurt them in politics. I could honestly see opponents of the Duggars, digging up dirt on the family and presenting it to the public. Boob is already known liar to some people.

bananacat brings the good point that most Christians don't want a Christian theocracy for a government. In the past couple of years, more people have started to dislike the Duggars and other large fundie/QF families. I know several mainstream Christians who are irked by the Duggars for several reasons and mainly it is because of the treatment of women. On other forums and sites, I have seen many posts by people who once liked the Duggars but dislike them now for different reasons.

I like knowing that if my midwife deems it unsafe for me to have another child, or if my husband and I just decide that we're done, we can get the birth control we need, weather that's the pill, depo shot, vasectomy, or getting my tubes tied.

I wouldn't consider voting for a Duggar or Duggar-like politician either. What are some of the lies, connections, or other faults taht would potentially hurt the Duggar brand (besides what we all already know)

I sure hope a Duggar, or anyone like them. couldn't make it really far in politics. I'd much rather not have a Christian theocracy, which is what they seem to want. No way will their outbreeding the heathens plan ever work. It's just too unlikely that all their kids will stay in the movement, get married quick and have eleventybillion kids who will also stay in the movement. That's just too unlikely to happen.

The irony of Obama being "too educated" - didn't he have the same level of education as Dubya - is already lost on the Tea Partiers. I don't want ANYONE of ANY party being so uneducated that they screw things up more than the mediocre student Bush Jr. did. Even picking almost all of Daddy's former cabinet members couldn't save him.

The Duggars and their ilk are solid TeaBaggers (sorry, can't resist being 12 once in a while). Unless Romey wins the presidency, those morons will be out by 2014, somewhat like the 1994 fundie Congress takeover, save the idiots who voted for Brownback in KS. There is noting scarier to me than fundies with money and a political ear, or the $$$ to do it themselves.

Don't get me started with religion and politics, the blood will boil.

"too educated" Yeeah, because all of the advances of the 20th century were really unecessary, right? Who needs education? Lets all go live in a cave. Big dummies.

You really have to listen closely for the dogwhistles. They only think Obama is "too educated" for his type. They are mostly mad that he stepped out of his place, not about education in general.

You really have to listen closely for the dogwhistles. They only think Obama is "too educated" for his type. They are mostly mad that he stepped out of his place, not about education in general.

Yup. His education level is pretty typical for late 20th, early 21st century political figures.

Seems to me that the people annoyed by him because he's "too smart" are nearly always those who simply cannot deal with the notion that a black man is actually president of the United States. I'm not pleased with his right of center governing, but everyone I know who outright hates the man is someone I also know to be either an overt or a semi-closeted racist.

The reason why fundies abhore education is because they cannot control their children (even their adult children) if the children can think for themselves. Just look at the Duggars. Josh is an adult with his own family and yet, he's still under his father's thumb. The Duggar kids are not allowed to sink or swim on their own because that would remove Jimbob and Michelle's control over them. So, instead, Jimbob has created a situation where he still controls Josh's life by buying the car dealership that Josh runs. If Josh were smart, he'd have gotten his own job and took control of his own life. How can his children respect him when they see that he isn't even capable of running his own life?

Yup. His education level is pretty typical for late 20th, early 21st century political figures.

Seems to me that the people annoyed by him because he's "too smart" are nearly always those who simply cannot deal with the notion that a black man is actually president of the United States. I'm not pleased with his right of center governing, but everyone I know who outright hates the man is someone I also know to be either an overt or a semi-closeted racist.

This. I'm not too happy that he's made compromises and moved more to the centre either, but I kind of feel like he has to because these crazies are endlessly coming at him and sort of forcing the circus to go on, the debt ceiling is a good example. Also, in some cases he has had to because of pure numbers. Health care didn't go far enough, but it was something at least. It was a big step. He has to think about reelection and he comes off too left, that will put him at a disadvantage I think. I'd rather see him compromise a bit and get a second term so he can do more good.

As for the Duggars, I don't think most people would vote for them because they know what their beliefs are because of media exposure (well maybe not entirely but more than some). The people that unnerve me are the Tea Partyers and other radical Republicans who share this belief who might already be elected or are working to do so. I mean, the Bush years pretty much proved that their agenda can be made mainstream with the right President.

Archived