IGNORED

Book Club Poll

Curious

Which Books Would You Like To Read?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Which Books Would You Like To Read?

• Escape by Carolyn Jessop
    • A Stolen Life by Jacyee Dugard
    • Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce
    • In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath
    • The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose
    • Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick
    • Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
    • Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall
    • Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer
    • Dating Jesus by Susan Campbell
    • Jesus Girl by Hannah Faith Notess
    • Unorthodoxy by Deborah Feldman
    • Daughter of the Saints: Growing Up in Polygamy by Dorothy Allred Solomon
    • The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs
    • Crossing Over: One Woman's Escape from Amish Life by Ruth Irene Garrett
    • Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer
    • Favorite Wife by Susan Ray-Schmidt
    • In the Land of Believers by Gina Welch
    • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
    • Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer
    • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor
    • Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea
    • The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman
    • The Snares of Death by Kate Charles
    • Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis
    • The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
    • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    • The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

I wasn't able to start this in the thread, so I just made it an announcement for you guys. It will be easier for people to find that way, anyway. I set it to run for 5 days. You should be able to vote for as many choices as you want and you should also be able to change your votes. I also listed all the books in the body of the message here, because it wouldn't let me put in the Non Fiction and Fiction labels without making those options in the poll. If you need anything else, have someone shoot me a PM :)

Have fun!

Non Fiction:

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

A Stolen Life by Jacyee Dugard

Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce

In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer

Dating Jesus by Susan Campbell

Jesus Girl by Hannah Faith Notess

Unorthodoxy by Deborah Feldman

Daughter of the Saints: Growing Up in Polygamy by Dorothy Allred Solomon

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs

Crossing Over: One Woman's Escape from Amish Life by Ruth Irene Garrett

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

Favorite Wife by Susan Ray-Schmidt

In the Land of Believers by Gina Welch

Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party

Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer

Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor

Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea

Fiction:

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman

The Snares of Death by Kate Charles

Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis

The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

Shattered Dreams and Stolen Innocence were both excellent. I have a fascination with FLDS and tore through both books in about a week. I just started A Year of Living Biblically and it's great so far. I'd actually love to read any of the suggested books. :)

Based on the poll, I've set up the following schedule for the book club (using all books that received at least 10 votes)

March 1: Escape by Carolyn Jessop (15 votes)

March 15: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs (14 votes)

April 1: A Stolen Life by Jacyee Dugard (13 votes)

April 15: Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce (13 votes)

May 1: Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright (13 votes)

May 15: Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer (11 votes)

June 1: In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath (10 votes)

June 15: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer (10 votes)

July 1: Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea (10 votes)

July 15: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (10 votes)

Exciting! I'm looking forward to April 1st. I think I have already read Escape, I'll get it again to make sure. And I know that I've read The Year of Living Biblically (twice). Looking forward to March 1st now!

Awesome! I'm definitely going to skip two or three of these but I'm super excited for the rest. Now... to the library('s online catalogue)!

I had high hopes for "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs" and it really fell flat. He (obviously) fudged a lot of it to the point of it not making sense. Other things he did for the humor factor which is to be expected I suppose but the whole thing was really lackluster. I feel like he wasn't able to sum it up in any meaningful way or make any insightful commentary.

I had high hopes for "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs" and it really fell flat. He (obviously) fudged a lot of it to the point of it not making sense. Other things he did for the humor factor which is to be expected I suppose but the whole thing was really lackluster. I feel like he wasn't able to sum it up in any meaningful way or make any insightful commentary.

I have heard similar things but it sounds entertaining. I think as long as you don't expect it to be, hrm, what's the fundy word? Edifying. It could probably still be fun.

Have you read Rachel Held Evans... er, whatever her one was called? A Year of Biblical Womanhood?

Great idea!

I'd also like to suggest Michelle Goldberg's "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism."

"Unorthodox" was a big disappointment, from both a story and a writing standpoint. Too many unanswered questions.

Great idea!

I'd also like to suggest Michelle Goldberg's "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism."

"Unorthodox" was a big disappointment, from both a story and a writing standpoint. Too many unanswered questions.

Yes, THIS! The ending, especially, was a huge let down. Some books on the list I have already read but I'm going to re-read for the book club. I won't be reading Unorthodox again though. It was OK the first time but I think if she had waited a few more years after she left to write her book it would have been a lot better.

I liked The Year of Living Biblically because I like AJ Jacobs. He is a humour writer more than anything so if anyone reads it don't expect much depth. He tells a good story and is pretty funny but that is all you should really expect from the book.

I have heard similar things but it sounds entertaining. I think as long as you don't expect it to be, hrm, what's the fundy word? Edifying. It could probably still be fun.

Have you read Rachel Held Evans... er, whatever her one was called? A Year of Biblical Womanhood?

I read that one last month and was really looking forward to hearing about the Prov 31 woman. She didn't disappoint me. I really liked it, but for some reason I can't remember the end of the book. I get caught up in devouring a book and don't read critically until the 2nd or 3rd time I read something. This book club might be challenging for me. I've never been around people who had the same likes as me so I never really discussed the books I've read. I'm looking forward to this :dance:

eta I hope we won't be expeced to talk about foreshadowing or rising action cause I just can't. A book should be enjoyed not scrutinized.

I have already read Escape (and her follow up, Triumph), and don't think I could read it again, due to it's fairly disturbing (to me) content. But I have been wanting to read A Year of Living Biblically. I might get an early start on it, as I don't think I could read it in a month.

Archived