IGNORED

Bill filed allowing schools to require Lord's Prayer (IN)

ceg045

This isn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last. I've been waiting for it to happen after the house speaker last year stated that he wouldn't give up on prayer in school. I hope our legislators give it up and keep their focus on the important issues. We do not, as a state, have the money to waste on fighting this bullshit in court to prove that it is -duh!- unconstitutional.

At least he says he's giving up on "teaching creationism alongside evolution" bills. Baby steps, right? *sigh*

While there are many, many things I find odd about the US, one thing I respect is the lack of required religious worship in schools. In the UK, schools are required to have a daily act of Christian worship, although in reality many don't have the time, space or inclination to carry this out. It is a real backwards step to think that forcing kids to pray teaches them "the importance of spiritual development in establishing character and becoming a good citizen". Firstly, spirituality has nothing to do with good character, and secondly, there are so many more ways of developing spirituality than by being Christian. I used to refuse to bow my head during prayers at school (not that anyone noticed, they were all praying).

Ugh! So ashamed of my state. How is this going to convert anyone (which, face it, is this guy's real goal)? If I were forced to participate in the activities of a religion not my own, it would do nothing but tick me off and make me feel persecuted and unwanted. I would be less willing to convert or to even listen to a Christian if it was being forced down my throat. I don't give this guy much for brains.

And, yes, let's spend hundreds of thousands of dollars we don't have in court fighting a losing battle. This law is unconstitutional and will never hold up in court. Why waste everyone's time and money? Is it so bad that there are people out there who follow a different religion? Why must we all be cookie cutter copies of each other?

While there are many, many things I find odd about the US, one thing I respect is the lack of required religious worship in schools. In the UK, schools are required to have a daily act of Christian worship, although in reality many don't have the time, space or inclination to carry this out. It is a real backwards step to think that forcing kids to pray teaches them "the importance of spiritual development in establishing character and becoming a good citizen". Firstly, spirituality has nothing to do with good character, and secondly, there are so many more ways of developing spirituality than by being Christian. I used to refuse to bow my head during prayers at school (not that anyone noticed, they were all praying).

I am from the UK, and we always did prayers (even though my school most people were from either not particularly religious families, or Muslims).

Didnt help my spiritual development, not in the way they would have wanted anyway. I was an atheist at age 7, but too shy to find out whether I could opt out of prayers. All its made me do is become incredibly uncomfortable with religion, as for me, it felt odd and wrong to be forced to pray, like that I shouldnt be doing it and wondered whether everyone could tell that I wasnt comfortable with it.

I always thought it was wrong to force kids to pray, because there were kids who werent Christian but were expected to. I never talked to any of my Muslim friends about it, as I was too shy to mention it as everyone else seemed okay with it, but I imagine they felt the same.

I think religion should be kept out of schools, because it is unfair on children who dont follow the religion of the majority.

Archived