IGNORED

Dabbling in Astrology

batwing

So I was reading the Staddons' blog this morning and noted that Don is reading God's Voice in the Stars, which is a biblical take on astrology. I'm an astrologer, and I've met many others (astrologers as well as clients) that are also Christian, but never a fundie. Now I'm wanting to read the book to see if it blends well with western astrology. It's like if they stamp Christ on it, it's OK to subscribe to it, but astrology predates Christ and monotheism, so I'm wondering how the author ties the signs in with Christ...

Some of the glimpses Don gives us are veeerrrrrryyyyyy traditional astrological concepts and have nothing to do whatsoever with Christ. For instance, he states that the beginning of the Hebrew year is in March/April, and that the sign Aries represents the crucifixion. Well, the sign of Aries is also the first sign of the zodiac and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Hebrew calendar.

No comments on the blog yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone accuses him being influenced by The Debil or if they all nod their heads and say Jesus invented astrology.

Actually, this is not really new. Historically, Christianity has had ties with astrology. Thomas More liked to study the stars and so did Erasmus. John Dee was a famous astrologer during the Elizabethan and Elizabeth liked to consult with him. She would choose dates that were suited to her purposes. For example, she consulted him in planning her coronation and in executing Mary Queen of Scots. It was popular among Humanists (real ones, not the way fundies use the word willy nilly).

But these people obviously weren't of the fundie brand so we'll see how it goes. Could prove very hilarious.

Sidenote: I've read that some biblical historians and scholars are of the opinion that Jesus was born in March, so maybe he's not entirely off the mark, though I'm not sure how credible or widely believed this position is.

Actually, this is not really new. Historically, Christianity has had ties with astrology. Thomas More liked to study the stars and so did Erasmus. John Dee was a famous astrologer during the Elizabethan and Elizabeth liked to consult with him. She would choose dates that were suited to her purposes. For example, she consulted him in planning her coronation and in executing Mary Queen of Scots. It was popular among Humanists (real ones, not the way fundies use the word willy nilly).

But these people obviously weren't of the fundie brand so we'll see how it goes. Could prove very hilarious.

Sidenote: I've read that some biblical historians and scholars are of the opinion that Jesus was born in March, so maybe he's not entirely off the mark, though I'm not sure how credible or widely believed this position is.

Yes, many astrologers believe that Jesus was actually a Pisces-Sun, which fits his assumed personality far better than Capricorn, anyway.

Most astrology buffs I run with are Christians. But definitely not the Staddon brand of Christian.

• 3 years later...

Archived