IGNORED

What is the link between Christianity and Judaism?

Guest Bekah

Guest Anonymous

This has come up in the Facebook group, but I figured more people would see it here and hopefully shed some light on the logic. Someone mentioned that one of the Duggar girls was wearing a Star of David necklace during the last show, and this offended them.

I shared that my sister's boyfriend, a very devout Baptist, has "Jehovah Elohim", or "Lord God", tattoed on his hands in Hebrew lettering.

So, what's the deal?

A lot of fundie Christians who have are completely uneducated on history (thanks to TSOTDRT) think that Judaism consists of just the Old Testament, and that Jesus essentially expanded Judaism to include people who aren't ethnically Jewish. They don't understand the history of either religion and so they think they are basically just non-Jewish Jews and they like to appropriate the Jewish cultures to feel like they have some connection to history and tradition.

Even when I was mainstream Christian, I believed for a long time that the Old Testament defined Judaism and didn't realize there was more to it.

Christianity is a cult offshoot of Judaism that got really, really popular.

To put it into SAT format-

Christianity is to Judaism as the People's Temple is to Christianity (the People's Temple, according to wikipedia, was the group at Jonestown)

Unfortunately most Christians, not just fundies, are not familiar with the history of their own religion nor its relations to others. They just go by what they were taught by their church, which is only a small part of the truth.

Archived