IGNORED

When FJ crosses into real life...a holy shit moment.

Koala

So the other night our phone rang. I looked at caller id and it was (insert some guys first name) Dodd. My husband said, "who is that?" and I said, "I don't know, but don't we know an AJ Dodd?" :shock:

I spent the next 10 mins trying to remember who AJ Dodd was and how we knew him. Then it hit me...that's not someone we know, that's Lina's husband. :oops: Good god I was so embarrassed. You know you spend too much time on FJ when you can't separate the fundies you snark on from the people you know irl.

Turned out it was just some guy trying to sell us insurance. :lol:

That's more like a "You know you've spent too much time on FJ when..." moment.

Although, if we're sharing, I should note that I saw notorious fake historian David Barton in DFW airport last week. I would have loved to rip him a new orifice, but the fact that I was traveling on my employer's dime AND being paid my salary to travel caused me to keep my lip zipped. However, if my eyes had been lasers, he would have been a smoking grease spot on the floor.

That's more like a "You know you've spent too much time on FJ when..." moment.

Although, if we're sharing, I should note that I saw notorious fake historian David Barton in DFW airport last week. I would have loved to rip him a new orifice, but the fact that I was traveling on my employer's dime AND being paid my salary to travel caused me to keep my lip zipped. However, if my eyes had been lasers, he would have been a smoking grease spot on the floor.

He probably assumed you wanted to jump his bones :oops:

My fiance's dad offered to take some engagement pictures of us. He's an ok photographer and has won some contests with his landscapes but doesn't really have experience shooting people. When he came by to take the pictures he brought print outs of engagement picture tips from the Maxwell photography site. Horrifying.

My fiance's dad offered to take some engagement pictures of us. He's an ok photographer and has won some contests with his landscapes but doesn't really have experience shooting people. When he came by to take the pictures he brought print outs of engagement picture tips from the Maxwell photography site. Horrifying.

:shock:

Holy crap. :shock: :o

:shock: Now might be the time to ask your future father in law some ...questions?

We were at an apple orchard last weekend, and I spied, at a distance, a group of young women in ankle-length denim skirts, white blouses, and navy cardigans. "Fundies!" I thought--until I noticed that a couple of them were wearing white shoulder-length veils.

They were nuns and postulants.

I'm playing Words With Friends...in one of my games my friend played "Jin" and my first thought was "all I need is g, e, and r!"

TCM was showing The Red Danube, and I had it on in the background while doing work. I kept thinking of it from Steve Maxwell's point of view, and imagining how it would make his head whip back and forth until it exploded.

Walter Pidgeon's character is kind and fatherly, and the young people in the film respect him. :D

Walter Pidgeon's character is an atheist. :(

Walter Pidgeon's character follows the rules and does what his superiors expect. :D

Following those rules leads to innocent people being hurt and killed. :(

Janet Leigh's character is a young woman who needs the protection of an older male authority figure to save her from being returned to the Evil Commies of the Soviet Union. :D

Janet Leigh's character is a ballet dancer who wears defrauding tutus and makes her own living. :(

Walter Pidgeon's character is persuaded to become a Christian again. :D

But he is persuaded by a nun from that Whore of Babylon, the Catholic Church. :(

Conflicted characters choose to do the right thing. :D

At the end, the main characters are seen riding off in a car, singing . . . (brace yourselves . . . )

Row, Row, Row Your Boat! :violence-bomb:

:shock: Now might be the time to ask your future father in law some ...questions?

They are secular (real) Jews, so I'm not too worried. I didn't take a good look at what he printed out but I think it was all from here: christophermaxwell.com/engagements.htm I ended up having to explain how I know about those people which was quite awkward.

The pictures turned out okayish slightly better than a typical snapshot but I guess you can't argue with free.

Someone on facebook posted a photo of a home made baby sling and the fact that their husband "would only countenance it in black". Took me a second to figure out she wasn't talking about her face!

They are secular (real) Jews, so I'm not too worried. I didn't take a good look at what he printed out but I think it was all from here: christophermaxwell.com/engagements.htm I ended up having to explain how I know about those people which was quite awkward.

The pictures turned out okayish slightly better than a typical snapshot but I guess you can't argue with free.

PHEW :D

And yup, can't argue with free.

So the other night our phone rang. I looked at caller id and it was (insert some guys first name) Dodd. My husband said, "who is that?" and I said, "I don't know, but don't we know an AJ Dodd?" :shock:

I spent the next 10 mins trying to remember who AJ Dodd was and how we knew him. Then it hit me...that's not someone we know, that's Lina's husband. :oops: Good god I was so embarrassed. You know you spend too much time on FJ when you can't separate the fundies you snark on from the people you know irl.

Turned out it was just some guy trying to sell us insurance. :lol:

Not a fundie story, but this reminded me of a choir concert I was in one time with a bunch of other choirs from the area. The director of one of the other choirs looked very familiar and I spent most of the concert trying to think of where I new this guy from. Finally I realized I didn't know him at all, he just looked uncannily like Alan Rickman (Snape, to me). I spent the rest of the concert trying not to laugh.

I was just running on a hiking trail close to my apartment today, and a girl ran past me, and on the backside of her Tshirt I read:

"How can you say there are too many children, it's like saying there are too many flowers" and then between parenthesis there was a name. I think it was Michelle Duggar, but I don't know because the girl ran faster than me and my eyesight sucks lol. So i decided to google it as I came home and I get Mother Teresa as results. Ha! fundie fail (well she was wearing short pink fluo shorts so not a fundie, yes I did notice it for that purpose!).

Some girl on my husband's facebook makes a post about starting her week with sweet fellowship (she is fundie) and I just start laughing hysterically. I don't think she means what we mean when we say that.... :shock:

I went to a friend's wedding recently and in her vows was the phrase "I promise to submit to you as my headship." I kid you not. :shock: This is a college-educated, shorts wearing, strapless dress at her wedding, kissed her husband before marriage friend. I was stunned. First time I've heard that said in real life.

I went to a friend's wedding recently and in her vows was the phrase "I promise to submit to you as my headship." I kid you not. :shock: This is a college-educated, shorts wearing, strapless dress at her wedding, kissed her husband before marriage friend. I was stunned. First time I've heard that said in real life.

Blecch. That statement reminds me of [grossout hidden in spoiler]

being made to submit to fellating him. Headship=head of a penis. My favorite (mental; never voiced aloud) sarcastic putdown of an overbearing male is "Oh, let me drop to my knees and blow you."

The Cinzetti's down the street is kind of like a mecca for the QF/"fundie" families in my area of Kansas City. We usually spot at least one family in head coverings and denim skirts while eating there -- to which my husband makes some comment about FJ, usually. (To be fair, we do have a large evangelical Pentecostal population in the area, and I rarely see these guys snarked upon here.)

I always wonder when I see a car with those family stickers on the back and the family has kids in the double digits. I kind of assume if it's a passenger van, 'tho.

Recently the hubby and I took the kids to the local county fair the guy in front of us in the line to get one of the rides had a whole gaggle of little boys not immediately thinking fundie I assumed they were maybe part of a church or boy scout group, but when the guy running the ride asked how many the guy said ten. The surprised ride operator asked "Are they all yours?" the guy grins says "Yes" then further shocks the guy by telling him his wife was riding with their seven girls.

Archived