IGNORED

The House Series on PBS and BBC

xDreamerx

I'll provide YouTube links or other links to the ones I know exist. If you know of or find others please add :) They won't be in order so sorry about that.

1900 House:

(The Very First One in 1999).

This is part one but the user has all parts up, just follow along in the sidebar.

Frontier House

Manor House (also called Edwardian Country House)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9DlV54l ... re=related

Regency House Party

(This one is different and more like the Bachelor but set in the Period)

Texas Ranch House

(In my opinion the most boring)

Edwardian Farm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10TJT87BaU

Victorian Farm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ts0Rwnn2yg

Victorian Pharmacy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoF5vCZcS6U

1940s House:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4x5drU9mAk

I haven't been able to find the Coal House ones or Colonial House and I might be missing others but here you go :D

Wow! Thank you! I had caught some bit of it a long time ago on a french tv I think... will take a look at that for sure!

Whoot! I loved those!

There were a few Canadian ones that were awesome too - Quest for the Bay and one that I can never remember the name of, about a fishing village in the 1930s (We get a lot of CBC on our PBS station.)

Are there any other similar people have liked?

Also, wtf is it so hard for me to get BBC and CBC stuff to rent? It's annoying.

I know right?! There was a CBC one they did that was set in the 1920s in Newfoundland (I believe, if memory serves). I caught bits of it but not the whole thing. I wanted to try and find the CBC ones online but that's unlikely to happen since the CBC has poor distribution in general, especially for less popular content. They air some of the farm ones on TVO but it's always at some random hour (like 1 am) so I only catch them when I have insomnia. I wish they would do more here. They have historical reenactment towns in the U.K. and in the U.S., they ought to do it here but with Avonlea. They could do the Anne of Green Gables House. I would watch.

Edit: Petals, I love your avatar pic :)

Coal House is up.. I watched all of these while in the hospital with my daughter in June.

( Coal house at war, part one, the rest are up by same user)

Wasn't there a Colonial House? I'm looking forward to catching up on some of these that I hadn't heard of. I always loved history but hated how history class was all about names and dates with almost nothing about how an average person would live, so these shows were great for finally getting to learn about that.

Wasn't there a Colonial House? I'm looking forward to catching up on some of these that I hadn't heard of. I always loved history but hated how history class was all about names and dates with almost nothing about how an average person would live, so these shows were great for finally getting to learn about that.

There was. It was particularly fun because one of the families had a father who was a Baptist preacher and his whole family was really religious and another family was Atheist. The Atheist woman got into trouble for not attending church a lot. I just didn't post it because I couldn't find any links to it. Oprah also visited it.

There was. It was particularly fun because one of the families had a father who was a Baptist preacher and his whole family was really religious and another family was Atheist. The Atheist woman got into trouble for not attending church a lot. I just didn't post it because I couldn't find any links to it. Oprah also visited it.

I remember that one, where someone also came out as gay, which was interesting considering he would have been killed for doing so during that period.

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this to share - DIY Network in the US is running a Frontier House marathon tomorrow (Sunday 2/3), starting at 3 Central time.

Sadly, I'ge seen all of this one, and was annoyed by parts. Maybe they'll do the other Houses eventually. I'd like to see some of the earlier series again.

Coincidentally, I found a website last week for a series called Wartime Farm that looks interesting. http://ww3.tvo.org/program/186675/wartime-farm. It's on TVO from Ontario, there's video online but with Geographic restrictions of some kind. :(

We must be sisters from another mother! I just mentioned all the ones I've seen over on QFoS regarding favorite time periods! Thanks so much for the link.

ETA because I got all eleventy!!!!11111!!!eleven at seeing this thread get bumped, so had to fix some spelling.

I remember that one, where someone also came out as gay, which was interesting considering he would have been killed for doing so during that period.

I still haven't been able to find it on youtube, I hope one day someone uploads it. The one thing I remember is people were punished by being tied to a stake in the middle of the forest for the whole day. People caught on that if they broke the rules and were tied to the stake they didn't have to work and could take a nap. In a few days everyone was getting punished.

I do remember the preacher daughter's fiancee died and the family left the program. The preacher came back a few weeks later and continued the 5 hour sermons that everyone hated to attend.

1940's House and Manor House are my favorites. Frontier House I hated because two out of the three families really, really didn't want to be there.

1940s House is my favorite. I couldn't get into Colonial House, and I liked Frontier House, but wished that the people had been more into it.

When the 1900 House was originally shown on BBC I was totally hooked and I signed up to do an evening class on Victorian dress at the V&A museum in London. At one of the sessions, Joyce Bowler (the mum in the 1900 House) gave us a talk about what the experience was like and in particular the costumes. I took along the book which accompanied the series and got her to sign it! She was really nice.

I'm excited to see this thread. The House series are some of my favorites, and I missed the farm and pharmacy ones. (so yay for the youtube links!)

I own Manor House on DVD and watch it all the way through again every couple of years. But I think 1940s House is still my favorite of all the series. I get a kick out of the ending and how the family adapted 1940s practices for modern uses.

Would you recommend colonial house and texas ranch house?

Sure, watch them. They are very interesting, but just know you'll be annoyed.

I've seen them all, from both sides of the pond and the American ones drove me crazy. In the British versions the participants say, "Wow, this really sucks for me as a modern person but I signed up to see what it was like to live in this time period so I'll see it through." (Clean in a corset, be a scullery maid, listen to my chaperone, limit myself to rations, etc.)

The Americans say, "Wow this really sucks for me as a modern person so fuck it, I'm going to do what I want for my convenience/entertainment/self indulgence." (Be a 'cowgirl,' out myself in church, smuggle in bedsprings, etc.)

I wonder what that implies about American mentality? I'm not sure I like it. (I'm American.)

That being said, if another one was made I'd be right there watching it.

I've seen them all, from both sides of the pond and the American ones drove me crazy. In the British versions the participants say, "Wow, this really sucks for me as a modern person but I signed up to see what it was like to live in this time period so I'll see it through." (Clean in a corset, be a scullery maid, listen to my chaperone, limit myself to rations, etc.)

The glaring exception to that rule of thumb is Lucy the scullery maid from Manor House. A whinier reality show participant I have never seen.

I've started to watch Victorian Farm and am enjoying it, though the three people living in the house certainly seem to have had a lot of physical help from outside experts. (I noticed this especially with the plowing) Also, FYI, the link provided upthread for Victorian Farm no longer works since the video was taken down for copyright violation. This one works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaQr7JJ1ms

• 9 months later...

Bumping this because the DIY Network is running a Frontier House marathon today. It just started about five minutes ago, ends at 4:00.

It must be edited, the episodes today are 30 minutes, and I thought the PBS versions were an hour. It's also showing up as a 2012 show, which I know isn't right, but that's probably a TiVo issue. Ten minutes in, certain people are just as whiny and annoying as I remember them. Nate's group and Wrangler Rawhide are the best of the bunch, as I recall.

Archived